Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Just installed first dropper, KS LEV, lever on right side of handlebars. 1st ride, shifted a lot by accident, instead of operating KS lever. Does this get better as you become used to it? It was kinda frustrating/funny.

mtbr member
    I put mine on the left because you don't shift the front rings nearly as much as you shift the back cassette. You are going to to want to shift and move the seat at the same time eventually. This way there is less chance of that happening and it will become second nature using your left hand after awhile. I also put my lever a little higher than I see most install it because then I don't accidentally hit it during real technical stuff.
    1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS
    2011 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2012 Cannondale Claymore 2

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    That's what I was thinking, but most people I see keep it on right. Left does make sense to me too. More Opinions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    On the left, I run a single chain ring now, but before that i was on the left for the same reasons JPBakerIII stated.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Keep the feedback coming, thanks

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    on the left too, but I run a XX1 so no shifter on the left...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I bought a KS lev 125 in May and as of the middle of Oct. it has become "squishy" in the raised position. It compresses a couple of inches. Needless to say it is a bummer and un-ridable. I have had no problems with it other than some side-side play (but that did not bother me too much).

Any others out there that have experienced this problem? Any fixes? Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sounds like it needs a bleed. I think someone wrote a how to guide somewhere, or send it back for a service.

bike rider
    After fabricating some tools you can rebuild or bleed these but it's more hassle than it's worth. I could see it if you need the post for a race in less than 2 weeks and can't risk sending it back but when working on stuff that's not ment to be servicable there's always the chance something could go wrong and you gotta send it back anyway. With most posts the best advice is send it in.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I got my 150mm Lev yesterday, installed it and rode it around the back yard. That was enough to convince me to order a 34.9/125mm post for the Liteville as well.

Straight away it felt better than the old CB Joplin and Specialized Blacklite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    I bought a KS lev 125 in May and as of the middle of Oct. it has become "squishy" in the raised position. It compresses a couple of inches. Needless to say it is a bummer and un-ridable. I have had no problems with it other than some side-side play (but that did not bother me too much).

Any others out there that have experienced this problem? Any fixes? Thanks,
    Dude, I have the exact same issue, any fix? Going to check the pressure and see if that makes any difference.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Pressure won't fix it. The reason it's soft and not holding is because there's air at the top of the "damper" rather than oil. It needs a bleed, be it at home or a factory service. The air needs to come out of that particular part and be replaced with oil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onzadog View Post
    Pressure won't fix it. The reason it's soft and not holding is because there's air at the top of the "damper" rather than oil. It needs a bleed, be it at home or a factory service. The air needs to come out of that particular part and be replaced with oil.
    Thanks. I will get a RA number and send it to KS. I assume it is a pain to bleed?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Can the lev be torn down, cleaned and reassemble by the average home mechanic?

Scott is a tool.
    Hey team.

I've had a couple of LEVs in different frames, all of which ave had some degree of rotational movement at the saddle, my most recent one also has a little fore and aft movement, neither are noticeable when riding though.

What are others experiencing in this department?

Cheers, Grant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Dude, I have the exact same issue, any fix? Going to check the pressure and see if that makes any difference.
    Pull it out of the frame and check to bottom part is screwed on (the bit that covers the string mechanism) , mine came loose and thats what was giving me a 10-20 mm of up and down play at the top of the stroke.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Is storing the bike upside down with the LEV not recommended? Does it matter with the Integra? Also, will any grease be fine to use on the stanchions? I've read about slick honey being recommended before, but I don't see anything specific in the manual. What I have right now is white lightning crystal grease. Appreciate the feedback.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey people, i've just noticed when my LEV is half way up/down and i lift my bike from the saddle it moves up about a cm or 2 and when i put my bike back down it returns to the original position, is that normal, or is it not suppose to move at all?

bike rider
    It's abad idea to pick the bike up by the saddle when it's lowered. You could suck air into the hydraulics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    It's abad idea to pick the bike up by the saddle when it's lowered. You could suck air into the hydraulics.
    How should it be possible? hasn't the lev a sealed hydraulic cartridge? where should the air be sucked from by the hydraulics?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm no expert but from the way it doesn't compress when sat on it, but does rise when lifted by the saddle, it makes me think there's some sort of washer over a piston type assemble. When sat on it, you're forcing the washer over the ports in the piston, when you lift by the saddle, the force of the oil is bending the washer away from the piston (or some similar arrangement).

I can see the theory that if you pull the saddle up, you create a vacuum which could possibly suck air past the seals. However, it's not a very fast movement and I think the air spring and oil damper/lockout are separate chambers, so inside the damper, would be a fixed volume of oil, it won't compress above the piston so therefore, shouldn't create a vacuum below the piston.

Happy to be proved wrong though, it's all just theory, I've not had the damper apart.

bike rider
    Exactly. You create a vacuum and can suck air from the atmosphere in past the seal. Sure some posts claim you can pull on them in a dropped position but I've seen it cause the need for a rebuild so it's just not worth doing with any post that uses a hydraulic system.

mountain biker
    anyone know if the LEV Integra utilizes the kevlar cable from the "regular" LEV? Seems like the weak spot in this design and I'm tired of getting it fixed.... would consider upgrading to the Integra if it does away with this feature....
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onzadog View Post
    I've adusted and trimmed one which was pretty straight forward but I've not replaced one.

There must be some generic cord out there that would work. I can't imagine it's unique to ks.
    Try thin braided fishing lines... then take 3 strands and braid them like pigtails loosely (cos if too tight-- it gets stretchy and that would not be desirable). You'll want to keep everything as non-stretch as possible.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Braid loose? It seems that would be stretchy? Why not braid tight?

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast