Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

KS i950R or Crank Brothers Joplin 4

Helle everyone. After a long time with my bike I have got the point that I really need it.

However, after some reading that I have done and reviews that I saw, this two were the best option that I could find for their price. Any way, this two are almost the same from quality and to the performance in the field.

So, before I am going to spend the mony, I just want to ask you all- what should i take ?

Jorden
    You die just once, so, it's better be good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    anyone ?

FM
    mtbr member
    Kindshock, easily.

mtbr member
    Sorry, didnt realize this was a serious question.

KSi950 FTW.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Sorry, didnt realize this was a serious question.

KSi950 FTW.

+1

(filler)

Ninja Master Powers
    KsÖ

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ks!

Murag Kanding!!!
    Sep 2005
    KS i950r

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just made this same decision and went with KS. Love it.

Pirate!!!
    Just incase you didnt get the memo, KS!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I guess it's really good one, or the joplin is a really bad one ?

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by jordenkl
    I guess it's really good one, or the joplin is a really bad one ?

Exactly...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

T.W.O.
    Is that a trick question? CB is 86ing the Joplin next year. Unless the little birdie told me a fib.

used to be RipRoar
    I have about 400+ trail miles on my KSi950R. All Ive done is re-grease under the stanchion collar and its been working like a champ. Occasional stick down low but a small bump brings it rite up. I was going to get the Reverb when it was released but I see no need to now as its been very reliable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ok...so i can understand that the joplin is not a good option.....?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Is that a trick question? CB is 86ing the Joplin next year. Unless the little birdie told me a fib.
    86ing? Whassat?

mtbr member
    ok...so i can understand that the joplin is not a good option.....?

Correct, Joplin is not an ideal option.

Currently the leaders in the technology would be KS, Gravity Dropper, and the new Rockshox Reverb.

I am not a fan of the mechanically operated Gravity Dropper, so if I had yo purchase a new unit right now it would be between the KS and the Reverb. KS is cheaper, not certain which is lighter, KS is reliable - but the Reverb is brand new so jury is still out on reliability.

I have played with a reverb for about 15 minutes - it feels very similar to my KS - the hydraulic switch for it is a neat idea - not sure or its advantages though.

mtbr member
    Hands down ks i950 over cb any day of the week.

siv
    mtbr member
    Giant is due to release "Switch" in late Feb sometime. Claiming to be non-twist, 1-4 travel, air, comparable weight to others and around $225 msrp. Check the Giant boards, too stupid to link it.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh
    86ing? Whassat?
    No mo, No longer available.

if you want to know the slang then I don't know the correct origin, because there are a few who claimed to be the original user.

I believe is named after the F86 sabre, but here's some more urban definition.
    http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/46084

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I had the Joplin and it was a headache from day 1. Play in the seat clamp from the beginning. CB said this was ďnormalĒ. Then the Joplin began to have a spongy feel to the post even when it was fully extended. Bled it twice and did not help. Eventually, the seatpost would have about 1 inch of vertical play whenever I sat on it. It was like using an old suspension seatpost. Bought the KS about a 4 months ago and itís been rock solid. No issues at all. Iíve tried Crank Brothers pedals and had a similar experience. Crank Brothers makes very nice looking stuff, but itís just poorly engineered.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have Joplin 3&4. Both have failed within a couple of month. My friends' joblin have failed as well. My ks i950 has been flawless.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by puckhead
    Crank Brothers makes very nice looking stuff, but itís just poorly engineered.
    +1... Pretty but worthless...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thank you all for the help. The comments was helpful and I am appreciate it. Have a nice ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thank you all for the help. The comments was helpful and I am appreciate it. Have a nice ride.
    Wait I have to get my two cents in! JOPLINS SUCK DEAD BEARS!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee
    Amen

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee
    haha

Inrideo est vita

X-Fusion HiLo

I know it was not one of the choices, but the X-Fusion HiLo is a seriously good post at a very good price ($250 MSRP in USA).
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member

RE: adjustable seatpost options

i've got the KS i950-R. pretty happy with it, though the return to full extension is kinda sticky, usually have to reach and give it a lift to top it off.

i've got inside info that Fox has theirs in the works. can't wait for that!
    eddie would go.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6million$man
    i've got the KS i950-R. pretty happy with it, though the return to full extension is kinda sticky, usually have to reach and give it a lift to top it off.

Check your cable housing, and cable tension, if that's the problem you are experiencing. I zip tied my cable in places it restricted the movement relief the tension the problem went away.

EDR
    Check your cable housing, and cable tension, if that's the problem you are experiencing. I zip tied my cable in places it restricted the movement relief the tension the problem went away.
    +1

My 950r gets sticky both up and down. It's been the cable tension each time that fixed the issue.

on my 3rd wind...
    My Joplin 3 and 4 has been flawless...on my road bike.
    sth

mtbr member
    I guess I'm the only one but my joplin 4 has been flawless for the most part. Been pretty happy with it and I use it constantly on every single ride, and I ride often. My Joplin 3 had to be sent back once. I like the infinite adjustability, the setback, the simple remote lever, and the looks.

The KS is pretty hideous looking and from what I've seen and heard, it has quite a few reliability issues of its own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6million$man
    i

From what I saw of the Fox unit at interbike theirs is not infinitely adjustable which is not appealing in my books........

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    I guess I'm the only one but my joplin 4 has been flawless for the most part. Been pretty happy with it and I use it constantly on every single ride, and I ride often. My Joplin 3 had to be sent back once. I like the infinite adjustability, the setback, the simple remote lever, and the looks.

The KS is pretty hideous looking and from what I've seen and heard, it has quite a few reliability issues of its own.
    I heard by my self that KS have some problems too, for how long do you use the joplin 4 sir ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think 86 is another way of saying ax.
    But I think the bird with the word meant it will be, a 6 inch.

Just what I heard from a bird with the word.

EDR
    The KS is pretty hideous looking.
    Your joking right? I mean, it's just a black post with a collar.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Your joking right? I mean, it's just a black post with a collar.
    +1 on the

I cant speak for 1st gen models (which all seemed to suffered) but this years i950 has been bombproof.

Try and find a large shop that stocks a both (or more) models and ask which gets warrantied the most, seriously though the straw poll in this thread should be a pretty good indicator for where to put your money

MattSavage
    From what I saw of the Fox unit at interbike theirs is not infinitely adjustable which is not appealing in my books........
    3 position, like the TALAS.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    3 position, like the TALAS.

If it's a dial position it would be interesting, but if another mechanical post, I don't know if it would be competitive or appealing.

mtbr member
    If it's a dial position it would be interesting, but if another mechanical post, I don't know if it would be competitive or appealing.

It is not mechanical.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    X-Fusion Hilo! Go get one.

T.W.O.
    It is not mechanical.
    Then what is it? I thought it's a cable actuator with air spring with 3 position. It's not Hydro, and infinite adj. and not coming out til 2013. I'm pretty sure it'd change to be more competitive. Unless the unit weight 400g I don't see it can competitive. Unless Pushed boost the performance

mtbr member
    I heard by my self that KS have some problems too, for how long do you use the joplin 4 sir ?
    Been running it for 8 months or so, still works great.

And I don't care what any of you goobers say, that KS is ugly and I hear just as many bad things about it as the Joplin. The joplin3 was not perfect but the 4 has done me well. KS has that ugly serrated red collar, and that god awful seat clamp mechanism, and I don't really think they operate all that much differently than the Joplin.

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    Been running it for 8 months or so, still works great.

And I don't care what any of you goobers say, that KS is ugly and I hear just as many bad things about it as the Joplin. The joplin3 was not perfect but the 4 has done me well. KS has that ugly serrated red collar, and that god awful seat clamp mechanism, and I don't really think they operate all that much differently than the Joplin.
    You sound like someone making excuses for buying the wrong product. The KS is "ugly"? Really???

You would be hard pressed to tell the difference from the looks alone between a KS and a Joplin. They are very similar in looks. The KS also has a much nicer release lever that is machined to fit as a collar on lock on grips.

Or how about this one, put your Joplin all the way down. Now pick up the bike from the seat. How much does it suck that the seat goes up to full height? KS doesn't have that problem.

Rock your seat from side to side. Like that 1/2" of play with the Joplin? KS doesn't have that problem either.

As for your 8 months of reliability, give it a few more, then come back crowing. My Joplin did not fail until about the 10 month mark. The KS I replaced it with seems like a better choice to me.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 24v
    You sound like someone making excuses for buying the wrong product. The KS is "ugly"? Really???

You would be hard pressed to tell the difference from the looks alone between a KS and a Joplin. They are very similar in looks. The KS also has a much nicer release lever that is machined to fit as a collar on lock on grips.

Or how about this one, put your Joplin all the way down. Now pick up the bike from the seat. How much does it suck that the seat goes up to full height? KS doesn't have that problem.

Rock your seat from side to side. Like that 1/2" of play with the Joplin? KS doesn't have that problem either.

As for your 8 months of reliability, give it a few more, then come back crowing. My Joplin did not fail until about the 10 month mark. The KS I replaced it with seems like a better choice to me.

Just my .02
    The new KS looks a little nicer, I'll give it that, its still ugly tho.

Joplin 4 does not play much at all in the nose of the seat, the tiny little bit does not bother me. Picking it up by the seat does not bother me either, unless you're a moron you learn not to do that within like 1 day of owning it. It's my Joplin 4 thats been going for 10 months, I had a Joplin 3 for about a year before that.

T.W.O.

Joplin 4 does not play much at all in the nose of the seat, the tiny little bit does not bother me. Picking it up by the seat does not bother me either, unless you're a moron you learn not to do that within like 1 day of owning it. It's my Joplin 4 thats been going for 10 months, I had a Joplin 3 for about a year before that.
    Though I've never had any major problems with 3 of my speedball, and Joplin but it's not a good match to KS. You can buy a 2010 J4 today and it's pretty much the same design and function as the first Maverick Speedball. The major difference between CB and Maverick is customer service. CB is below par for Mtb standard.

KS constantly improves their products they make it easier to live with. They are small but the do care about the customers. Both companies are in Orange County, driving distance from me. There's no comparison.

As for the tech the KS i900r is a few grams heavier than J3 but, it's 2" more travel, it's definitely lighter and shorter than J4.

on my 3rd wind...

You don't have to pick up the Joplin by its seat. It will do it for you. Just go on a fast bumpy downhill with its seat down. When you make it to the bottom of the run, seat will be partialy up or already spongy with now air in its hydro that you gotta pump it out to remove (if lucky) the infamous Joplin sponginess. Just pathetic. I am an idiot for buying J4 after putting up with all those woes on J3. Only improvement I noticed is the less play on the seat...ironically that is the only issue that doen't bother me about Joplin.
    sth

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Got 9 months out of my first lever operated i900, till it had a major failure and no warrenty which was the end of it. Joplin 3 with lever lasted 3 months till required a backyard rebuild, lasted another 3 and failed again! Returned under warrenty and was replaced with a Joplin 4 which i fitted a remote kit to. Housemates Joplin 3 lasted 11 months and is away for repairs now. Will see how the Joplin 4 lasts then will try Reverb maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast