mtbr member
    Mar 2009

KS i900 'vertical' play

Hello,

I just recently bought a ks i900r seat post. I have never used an adjustable post and just installed one on my blur. When I sit down, the telescopic post goes down 1-2mm when I put any weight on it (the remote is not depressed). Is this normal for a telescopic post?

I know that it doesn't sound like a big deal, however it is noticeable. The play is not side to side as far as I can tell.

Anyone else with this post experience any problems like this? Could it be a cable tension problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by B-Line; 12-09-2010 at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    have you checked the tension of your cable? perhaps its too tight?

I'm with stupid
    Mine does not do that. Do you have the cable to tight try backing it out a bit and see it it still does it.If that solves problem good, if not then im no more help to you.

usually cranky
    to me it sounds like a problem with the internal hydraulics. probably the last thing you want to hear but id send it back.

EDR
    I have a 950r and have no issues like you describe. It's rock solid. Remove the cable and try again. If the problem goes away your cable is a bit too tight.

mtbr member
    I have a i900r also.. I noticed that everytime I mount to the bike it feels like the seatpost moves 1-2mm and found out it was my saddle that is flexing because of my weight.
    DON'T BE A HYPOCRITICAL BASTARD!

mtbr member
    Pull out the post and check the hex nut below is tighten sufficiently as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantCHaDSTeR
    I have a i900r also.. I noticed that everytime I mount to the bike it feels like the seatpost moves 1-2mm and found out it was my saddle that is flexing because of my weight.
    If I put my hand right above the seal and push down, I can feel the movement, so I know it isn't the seat. I am taking it into the shop today, to see if they will replace it with another one they have in stock. From what everyone is saying, something isn't right...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Line
    If I put my hand right above the seal and push down, I can feel the movement, so I know it isn't the seat. I am taking it into the shop today, to see if they will replace it with another one they have in stock. From what everyone is saying, something isn't right...
    I dont have that play on mine..
    DON'T BE A HYPOCRITICAL BASTARD!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Line
    Yeap, give Rick a call, and send it in.

EDR
    Did you remove the cable and try it?

I thought mine was fubar'd when it would hit a hard stop in random locations when slamming it down. Sometimes I'd have to actuate the lever 3 times to get it to go down all the way. I thought it was a hydraulic problem but it was just cable tension. Tightened the cable it was perfect again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mine has developed a 1.5 inch vertically play after 3 months of use. Called Rick and he will take care of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have tried it without the cable attached and the problem is still present. I took it into my local bike shop where I bought it, and they said this was 'normal'. Its one of the best shops in town, and the tech seemed to know what he was talking about. He had one on his bike last year and it had the same issue. He said that he has only come across one post that didn't have this problem. I live up in Canada, so I don't know if Rick will be able to help me out. However I have emailed him my question.

On another board, a member said there is some shop in north vancouver that has solved the problem by drilling a small hole in the post to stop what he called a vacuum effect. I have tried searching for more information, however I haven't found anything. I am wondering if I should just return the post and save up for a reverb. I got the post on sale for $190 CDN, which is why I bought it. Don't know what I should do...

Pirate!!!
    I have the same issue with mine, but it is very little, maby 1mm. I can pull my post up by hand without depressing the lever, even if the cable is disconnected. I've always wondered if that is normal? Good luck making contact with Rick, I called and left at least five messages and he never got back with me.

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den
    Pull out the post and check the hex nut below is tighten sufficiently as well.
    I had the same problem as the OP. Doing this solved it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the same problem as the OP. Even if I remove the lever from the seatpos, it pushes down for about an inch. Where is the hex nut located?and how do I tighten it?same as the red end cap?thank you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Line View Post
    Hello,

I just recently bought a ks i900r seat post. I have never used an adjustable post and just installed one on my blur. When I sit down, the telescopic post goes down 1-2mm when I put any weight on it (the remote is not depressed). Is this normal for a telescopic post?

I know that it doesn't sound like a big deal, however it is noticeable. The play is not side to side as far as I can tell.

Anyone else with this post experience any problems like this? Could it be a cable tension problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    yes! same thing happend with mine, used it like 3 times and then the same thing started. Its no biggie, spoke with KS and they said they have been having that problem. I sent it back to them and they fixed it righ up. Here is the direct ## to the US claims, they are located in CA which I live in PA and i sent it out on a monday afternoon and had it back exactly 7 days later they shipped it back to me 2nd day air. Here is the #949 742-1180 the guys name is Rick Taylor. I had to try several times until I got through but I eventually did. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiek118 View Post
    yes! same thing happend with mine, used it like 3 times and then the same thing started. Its no biggie, spoke with KS and they said they have been having that problem. I sent it back to them and they fixed it righ up. Here is the direct ## to the US claims, they are located in CA which I live in PA and i sent it out on a monday afternoon and had it back exactly 7 days later they shipped it back to me 2nd day air. Here is the #949 742-1180 the guys name is Rick Taylor. I had to try several times until I got through but I eventually did. Good luck!
    Did KindShock pay for shipping both ways under warranty? I need to send a post in for repair under warranty. Just wondering.

mtbr member
    Mine did the same thing. i disconnected the cable and it would still not stay up.( or down ).. sent it in and they fixed it.

Havn't had any problems since other than some times I do a climb drop it all the way for the decent and it pops up about an inch..but like 2 minutes later if i push it down again it stays down. Dont know whats up with that mabye just a cable issue.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    Did KindShock pay for shipping both ways under warranty? I need to send a post in for repair under warranty. Just wondering.
    Good luck w/that. Rick still owes me shipping from when mine went back to him twice w/this problem. "Seal seat in" was what he told me, and still didn't manage to fix it. I would have lived w/1-2mm of play if it didn't make a "clunk" over any trail irregularities.
    My Reverb has ~1mm of vertical play, but no clunk.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Its stupid they are still selling these posts ... ive had a 900 and 2 950's with this problem... KS need to do a recall as they know about it but wait for you to buy it then send it back... my 1-2 mm play developed into 10-20mm over a few weeks.

Its to do with the changes they made with the newer posts to make them less sticky... absolute joke.
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    ya know i felt they should have paid the shipping but i just wanted my seatpost fixed. they kinda redeemed themselves by shipping it back to me 2nd day air. I agree though they should pay for the shipping. let me know how it goes for ya

mtbr member
    It'll get worse, your shop is BSing you, send it in. Mine started sagging just a mil or two after a few months and rapidly turned in to a suspension post. Rick got right back to me after two weeks of daily calls and emails just got the post back, doesn't sag but I can lift it upwards by hand when depressed like a Joplin. Can live with that as long as it functions otherwise.

Odd because I have another 2 yr old KS that has been flawless. Bought a used Thomson post cuz I figured I would need it regularly.