Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: KS eten?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

KS eten?

Has anyone taken the plunge on the new cheap KS eten dropper?

Its for sale online as low as $126 with the remote. Pinkbike did a write up, but there's basically no info on the interwebs with actual rider experience. It seems the biggest downside is the potential weight, but since this is the AM forum and we ride big boy bikes, that's not so much of an issue for me.

Sure, I could buy a reverb, lev, etc., but the eten is less than half the price. I could theoretically buy two and have one in use while the other is off getting warranty repairs at KS!

I'm really looking for eten feedback/experience and not what you have or what I should buy instead.

mtbr member
    It has essentially the same internals as their other products - the biggest drawback is it appears to only be available in 100mm - I prefer a 150mm that my LEV provides. Its clamping mechanism for the saddle is similar to the i950, not like the new LEV head.

The remote is not the nice "carbon" unit that the LEV has, but it is still the same shape/has the same functionality. I do not believe the remote is ODI compatible either (The LEV remote replaced one of the ODI clamps on ODI grips)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had/have a Reverb 125mm drop but then bent the post and snapped the actuator off. So instead of rebuilding the reverb and buying another actuator I bought the eten.

I've got to say I'm happy with it, I have noticed the travel reduction going from 125mm to 100mm particularly on dh tracks, not quite as low as I'd like, but good enough. Also being 25mm shorter there is less slack cable hanging around the bike, always good. Out of the box it has a similar amount of side to side movement as the reverb, not noticeable riding.

The action of the unit is smooth and quick, which I wasn't expecting from a cable operated unit and it's easy to setup. The actuator is a bit povo looking but the good thing is, being cable operated I can always improvise something if it breaks as apposed to the hydraulic reverb.

The weight difference, meh... don't care didn't weigh either one, it's an all-mountain bike after all not a xc race bike. It also has a single bolt seat clamp that doesn't squeak like the two bolt reverb did. I have had no issues with the post losing pressure or jamming but I've only had this seatpost for a month or less so can't comment on longevity.

Overall I think it's a great looking unit with excellent functionality and very cheap. I would buy another one over any dropper on the market due to the price and my tendency to break things, hope this helps.
    Last edited by bamr33; 05-02-2013 at 05:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Bamr, exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone one else with long(er) term experience?

mtbr member
    I have both the Reverb and eTen. So far i've only used it for 2 trail rides and noticed the seat does not always come all the way to the top when the trail gets rough. This might have something to do with the open bath cartridge. The manual says that inverting the seatpost may cause air and oil to mix and may result in temporary suspension action. It also says to cycle the seatpost a few times and wait a few minutes for the air and oil to return to their normal operating positions. I have not had enough rides to see if the post just needed to be broken in or if it's a fact of life.

Overall for the price I paid, I am so far quite happy. I could purchase 3 of the eTens for the price of a Reverb so i'm not too worried about reliability. After all, i'm cover by the warranty.

mtbr member
    BTW, one annoying thing is that the remote cabling attaches to the front of the post instead of the rear. The cable bunches up on the top tube when the seat is at the bottom. I ended up wrapping the cable around the post which seems to work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    I have both the Reverb and eTen. So far i've only used it for 2 trail rides and noticed the seat does not always come all the way to the top when the trail gets rough.
    Are you sure you have the cable adjusted correctly? Have a look while pressing the actuator that the lever thing under seat is getting full travel up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    BTW, one annoying thing is that the remote cabling attaches to the front of the post instead of the rear. The cable bunches up on the top tube when the seat is at the bottom. I ended up wrapping the cable around the post which seems to work.
    I thought that was a good thing to be honest, less chance of mud and grit being sprayed up into the cable and lever area. If you use a cable tie or a plastic p clamp on the bolt that goes through the seatpost clamp it can guide cable quite nicely without having it bunch up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamr33 View Post
    Are you sure you have the cable adjusted correctly? Have a look while pressing the actuator that the lever thing under seat is getting full travel up and down.

I thought that was a good thing to be honest, less chance of mud and grit being sprayed up into the cable and lever area. If you use a cable tie or a plastic p clamp on the bolt that goes through the seatpost clamp it can guide cable quite nicely without having it bunch up.
    Yup, the cable is fine, this does not happen riding on smooth surfaces. I'll have to give it a few more rides.

I have my post pretty much all the way into the frame so it more of an issue for me but i can see it would be an advantage in muddy situations.

mtbr member
    Yup, when it gets rough, the post does not want to come all the way up. Maybe an inch short. I then cycle the seat down and up and all is good again. Not complaining much, the positives still out weigh the negatives.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    jsut got mine today and installed it. I can confirm it doesn't have the odi compatible lock ring for your grips but that is of little consequence to me. as far as cable bunching up, mine came with a ziptie and a plastic guide to place around the seatpost. from there, I just ran the cable along the cable stops with my brake/shifters and it seems good. I wont get it out on the trail for a couple days since we got a lot of rain going on. I paid close attention to how I installed the cable to make sure I got full engagement of the lever and the post seems to go up and down flawlessly. I paid $140 from arts cyclery, considering a new thompson post goes for $100 this seems to be a great deal and with a 2 year warranty should it break, I'll probably just buy a new one while I wait for it to get serviced and then I can have another one for another bike or just sell the refurbished one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Did my first ride on it yesterday. I was having the same issue of not always getting that last inch or so of travel. it was only a minor annoyance and for the price point of this dropper post vs others I would certainly not let it dissuade me from buying it. I'm 6'3 and riding an xl yelli screamy and I'm still a bit of a newb to the mtb game and having some issues with my setup being comfortable with my knees but that is more because I could use a bit more setback or perhaps just shorter 170 mm cranks (I have a torn acl in my left knee and some meniscus damage in the right so the mashing aspect of some of MTB isn't the greatest for me but it's just too much fun" If i find I continue to have this problem, I will probably just raise my post up out of the frame a little bit, I'd rather have it be slightly too high when I'm pedaling flats and going up hills than have it be too low and the 4 inches of drop is plenty for my riding. Early impressions I give this dropper an A- because the cost is just so low it really scores in the value dept.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got an eten a week a go and have been on 5 rides with it. It works perfectly, goes all the way down and all the way back up, nice and smooth,. The remote works perfectly I got it for $138.00 from Art's Cyclery. This is the best money I have spent on my bike in quite a while. The only thing I would change is the clamp. It is a single bolt and is harder to adjust than a dual bolt design. It does hold my seat in place though (no slop) and I weigh 210 LBS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yep, I pulled the trigger on an eTen shortly after starting this thread. I weigh 200 and ride hard. I have bent three seats in the past year and a half, and started thinking that getting that thing out of the way more often would be a good thing. The eTen works flawlessly, and I honestly couldn't point out a single thing I would improve or could justify spending more money on. Yes, there is a single bolt clamp, but it's very easy to adjust in my experience and stays tight. As others have said about droppers in general, I almost can't remember how I managed to ride without one. I use it constantly to make micro adjustments to seat height trail riding, and slam it for sustained downhills. It makes such a huge difference to be able to raise or drop it 2mm for a hard climb or a slow techy rock garden that still requires strong pedaling. Hopefully, this holds up well in the long run, but if and when it goes in under warranty for service, I'm seriously going to probably just buy a second one and cycle them. Hands down, best $126 I've ever spent on my bike. And a buddy picked one up for $105 in a different diameter that fit his Enduro.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Can anyone that has one measure the min insertion distance from the rails to the line? I wanna get one of these however not sure if my setup would allow, with the total being only 385MM, I have about 225MM of exposed seat post to my rails currently, is this a big enough post? Thanks for the help.

Vitamin Bike Added
    also recently bought the eten for my yeti 575 AM build. Smooth action and unbeatable quality at the price. This post is a game changer for the dropper market.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anyone looking for the "inside" of the eTen here is a video (that also shows how to service it ) :

Here is the video probably most know but just to compare it to the dropzone / super natural :

KS Service Video - SN and DZ 720p Web.mov - YouTube

I'm also interested to get one but I'm not sure what to choose :

eTen : 100 mm travel for the price of 90 euros
    or
    Dropzone : 125 travel for the price of 130 euros

Does the later one worth the extra $$$ ? (They both come with lever and 31.6 size which I need)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan_mb View Post
    Anyone looking for the "inside" of the eTen here is a video (that also shows how to service it ) :

Here is the video probably most know but just to compare it to the dropzone / super natural :

KS Service Video - SN and DZ 720p Web.mov - YouTube

I'm also interested to get one but I'm not sure what to choose :

eTen : 100 mm travel for the price of 90 euros
    or
    Dropzone : 125 travel for the price of 130 euros

Does the later one worth the extra $$$ ? (They both come with lever and 31.6 size which I need)

the drop zone costs you 50% more for 25% travel, only you know if your style of riding really makes that necessary. for me personally, I can't imagine needing more drop than what the eten gives me but I'm also a newb and a relatively tame rider. others may be different. what drew me to the eten is that it may actually be BETTER for me because its cheap because it's constructed from heavier steel parts. Generally speaking steel means better durability and I'm 250 lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've made a measure before and 100 mm should be fine for me now , but I don't know in the future if the extra length will help or not, following the simple rule of : more is better I have to think from the beginning , since I cannot make it longer afterwards .

I have some other details that turn my balance in favor of the Dropzone since my bike is white with red accents that extra touch on the collar would look nice and also I have this grips on my bike : Cannondale D3 Lock-on Grips with White Rings - KA041/WHT - CannondaleExperts.com - http://www.cannondale-parts.de/WebRo...2/DSCN6521.JPG that have a similar system like Odi ( I don't know if it's the same) but the idea of fixing the lever on the end of the grips sounds good.

But these details doesn't mean much to me , I was just curious if there are noticeable performance difference between them. Forgot to mention my weight is around 165 - 170 lbs.

mtbr member
    I bit the bullet and ordered one. I'm pretty stoke to have a dropped, I just dont bother with my seat anymore and leave it in a ridable position all the time now.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just got done installing the eTen. Its my first dropper, and my only other experience with a drop post is friends bikes (RS Reverb & CB Kronolog). With all the stories Ive read here, and the issues my friends have had, I was hesitant, but the price of the post made it worth the risk. The installation was a no brainer...was kinda concerned while reading the instructions due to the lack of info about how to connect and route the cable and such, but once I had post in hand and was putting it all on the bike, it just fell together. Granted I put some time into the cable routing etc...but overall it was much easier than expected.

Took a quick spin around the neighborhood, and so far, so good! I noticed it feels butter smooth. Compared to the other posts Ive sat on, it was as smooth or smoother. Held my #240 butt with ease, and the trigger is really comfortable/easy to operate. Those of you who are concerned about the post only having 4" of travel...I wonder why you would want more? Bottom line, the post is awesome, especially for the low price. Now its just a matter of time, first real ride is a couple days away. Cant wait!

mtbr member
    I got mine monday, 5 minute install and it works perfect so far. I have ridden a bit but not much and no issue's so far. Going riding tonight so that should be a good test.

mtbr member
    FWIW it worked flawless all night for me. And like a little kid with a new toy I messed with it the entire ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Same for me...put a decent amount of time on mine, and its been perfect. Hope it stays that way One thing I question, is whether or not the rebound speed can be adjusted? It goes back up just fine, and never came up short, but if it was a little faster, I would like it mo'betta.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Also looking to pull the triger on this but concerned about the 20mm offset. I currently have 0 offset on my post.

mtbr member
    Dont forget you have some room to move the seat on the rail's. My Chromag seat has a good bit of room to move it around.

I got another ride in on mine and it worked flawless for me.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast