Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i'm having a problem with my i950r... when on full extension when I seat on the saddle the seatpost drop halfway but when if I tried not putting weight on the saddle it shots back up... and it bounce when I'm seating like I'm on springs... can someone shed a light on my problem. I've only had it for not more than 2 months.

I only use the brake, so I can accelerate all over again...
    ..:: www.THELOBBY09.com ::..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    here's a video of my problem.. checked the cable no slack or what so ever.

I only use the brake, so I can accelerate all over again...
    ..:: www.THELOBBY09.com ::..

mtbr member
    Check the red collar is locked down properly and take the post out and check if the hex nut at the bottom has loosened. If this 2 are done and still problem appear--its probably the internals and have it sent back to be checked.

Nice inked sleeve

mtbr member

Looks Neat

Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    That's a great idea! I love cheap and effective quick fixes - what size post and tube are you using in that setup?
    Was tempted to try but didnt have any suitable size tubbies lying around then...
    Any resistance when moving it down?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by marcryan27
    i'm having a problem with my i950r... when on full extension when I seat on the saddle the seatpost drop halfway but when if I tried not putting weight on the saddle it shots back up... and it bounce when I'm seating like I'm on springs... can someone shed a light on my problem. I've only had it for not more than 2 months.
    I am having the same problem. I have used my post for only 4 rides and it is now starting to drop about 0.5" (much less than yours). I can easily push down on the seat and watch it go down ~0.5" when its fully extended. This drives me crazy on my last ride. It did not do this on the first few rides so I think the problem is going to get worse.

Anyone have any advice on how to fix this?? I don't want a pogo stick seat post!! I want the bike suspension to cushion the bumps, not the post!

Thanks!
    Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Very useful share

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Actually, there is one further step before the post is "fully" dissassembled. From the guide mentioned above, you can see that the inside pipe has a "plunger" inside it (the smaller diameter rod that sticks out the end of the inside shaft). Another useful tidbit of info is that if you know where to look, it is also possible to repressurise the Kindshock at home, allowing you to customise its return speed.

While our directions are not as clear, or the pics as comprehensive as the excellent guide referred to above, they do prove that the post is completely rebuildable and able to be repressurised at home. (text and pics below cross-posted at: KS i900 FIXED. It is FULLY rebuildable at home.

KS i900 FIXED. It is FULLY rebuildable at home.

Number 1 son and I pulled the KS i900 apart the other day - and we mean A-P-A-R-T. Separated all 3 pipes (actually 2 are pipes, the other is a "plunger" rod).

The original motivation was to replace the stupid roller bearing under the red coller (that doesn't roll, as the shaft moves perpendicular to the rollers - der!). Much better to put a brass bushing in there - so out comes the lathe. New bushing in - BUT - 3 hrs of trying to reassemble the inner shafts, spraying oil all over kitchen ceiling, just cannot get it together.

Then, someone called "PsyCro" over on this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...8&goto=newpost
    mentions that he has seen a tiny pin-hole inside one of the indents used to turn an alloy sealing cap. We check it out, and THIS IS THE SECRET!

Sorry for the lack of step-by-step pics - but we were so excited to get it back together (and so oily) that we just kept going, and don't really feel like pulling it apart again right now. We have labelled the pics as best we could - hope these are helpful.

Do not listen to those who say the KS i900 is not user serviceable - it is. Works better than it ever did new now that it has a proper bushing, AND we can now tailor the speed of the seat raise because now we know where to pump the air!

Major props to PsyCro for pointing out the pin-hole - we would never have seen it.

Directions as follows:
    1. put the circlip into the top of the "middle" tube (the one the seat eventually clamps into)
    2. put the "plunger" into the middle tube and place it at its most extended position. Put the black ring with it's inner and outer o-rings on the outside of this shaft and the alloy cap with the hole in it over the plunger.
    3. fill the middle tube (the one with the plunger in it) to the very top with 5wt oil.
    4. place the alloy cap that buts up against the circlip into the top of the shaft filled with oil, this will seal this chamber.
    5. slide this assembly into the main shaft untill the alloy cap has pushed up against the circlip.
    6. do up the silver alloy cap that has the pinhole in it.
    7. to pressurize the chamber, be imaginative. I used a compressor tip for inflating soccer balls, wrapped some tape around it to seal, and jammed it in the indent with the pin-hole. We put about 120psi in (with the shock pump) but I'm not entirely sure, put in enough so the shaft extends by itself when you press the button on the top cap. (the one near the circlip)
    8. put the rest of the post back together, bearings, lube etc.

Sorry for the lack of pics, we tried to label things as best we could.
    Now go tear 'em apart! What do you reckon?
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2 possible reasons for the seat lifting up (but could be others too)

I have encountered 2 things that can cause the seat to lift if you pull up on it:

(i) Where the top alloy seat clamp screws into the top of the shaft, you can see where the lever actuates a "pin". That pin is actually a valve that allows oil and air to move from one chamber to another. If that valve is not completely closing, then your seat can lift up,

(ii) If, for some reason (say a leaky O ring) you have lost some oil from the innermost pipe, then you will not have the correct oil/air ratio to move between the chambers, and that will mean you cannot get a proper "fluid lock" when the lever is released. In other words, air can compress easier than oil, so if the amount of oil is not right, and there is a bit of air in the chamber that should be completely filled with oil, then your seat can lift up.

The first problem can be solved by checking the operation of the valve in the top of the post. The second problem requires a complete pull-down, and the inner plunger to be removed from the inside shaft, the correct amount of oil put in, and the chamber repressurised. This is a much bigger job, but it is still possible to do at home with a few basic tools.
    Last edited by checkpoint22; 06-03-2011 at 06:02 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by marcryan27 View Post
    This sounds as though the actuator pin that moves the internal valve to let oil and air move from one chamber to another is stuck in the "open" position.

Check that your lever is fully releasing, and not binding, other wise the internal valve could still be open just a little (it doesn't take much). If the lever is okay, and the valve is sticking on its own, then a complete dissassemble might be required (see post below with the 2 .pdf pics).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    hoi checkpoint 22,thanks for your explenation about the i900 i had the problem that when i sit on the seat the post goes down for 3 cm and when i lift my bud he cames right back up.my only problem was that i can get off the top of the main shaft (where the seat is on)so i have to drill a bleeder hole into this top
    so that the air can get out when i put everything toghether and now he works perfectly

Undercaffienated
    I am trying to take my KSi950 apart to service it. No matter what I do I cannot take the end cap at the bottom off (clamped in a strap wrench and using needle nose pliers as per the manual, no joy). It just seems to be seized in. It is aluminum and attempting to force it will tear it apart. Any tips?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi View Post
    I am trying to take my KSi950 apart to service it. No matter what I do I cannot take the end cap at the bottom off (clamped in a strap wrench and using needle nose pliers as per the manual, no joy). It just seems to be seized in. It is aluminum and attempting to force it will tear it apart. Any tips?
    You don't need to. Just undo the blue nut and pull everything from the top!

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd View Post
    You don't need to. Just undo the blue nut and pull everything from the top!
    Thank you for the tip! I was following the instructions in the manual and when I couldn't unscrew the end cap out, I actually tried pulling it from the top and it wouldn't easily come out, so didn't want to force it. Needed a good pull.

mtbr member

Nevermind ... got it loose

Solution - inserted allen wrench into shaft to hold it so it would not spin.

Hey,
    When I try to remove this nut :

it just spins with the shaft and washer. Anyone else have this problem?
    I even tried a little impact drive.

frustrated.
    Last edited by client_9; 07-22-2011 at 08:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    checkpoint22, thanks for a guide. I've just finished rebuilding my i900 (it had some issues with air in oil chamber).

I've assembled it in a little bit different way and done few picture, so I'll try to describe the process step by step.

Hold the assembly with some rag (wrap it entirely) and put your safety glasses/riding goggles on when unscrewing an alloy nut (using o-ring pliers), because it's going to pop pretty hard when the nut come out. Be careful not to kill yourself, not to scratch a shaft or other parts and not to mess your interior with oil

Clean everything using some parts cleaner (manufacturers usually recommends isopropyl alcohol). Then lubricate rubber seals with 5w suspension oil.

Put few milliliters of 5w oil in the biggest tube holding it upside down. Pump a lever few times, then while pressing a lever insert the black piston until it holds in place at the bottom. (There's no problem with oil in air chamber, it will work fine, but even small amount of air in oil chamber will cause seatpost to sag, so it would be better to fill everything nicely here). Try not to scratch anything because it will cause leaks.

Put the mid size tube in until it holds in place. Then fill it with oil to the top.

While holding a lever pressed, insert the piston with alloy nut on it. No reason to push it entirely right now. Then just screw the alloy nut with o-ring pliers.

Initial pressure in my post were about 150 psi but 120 also seems to work fine. So pressurize it with shock pump and ball needle with few windings of duct tape.

And it's so simple. But please be cautious because it is high pressure inside.
    P. S.: Need to say that I haven't tested it on trails yet but at home it works just fine
    Last edited by zazzique; 07-31-2011 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    i've been using the i950r for about 2 months now. i'm having two problems on the post. first one is, on full compressed, when you hit the switch to extend the post, the post will not go fully extended. it will stop about 1/2 an inch to 3/4 inch before full extension. a bit of slickoleum in the collar will cure the problem but will just be enough (or sometimes not) for one ride. do i have to put slickoleum every time i ride? second problem is, the switch gets stuck. when you press the switch, it does not lock back to the original position. so the post compresses again when you sit down. i still have to manually push back the switch for it to lock in that position. i've sprayed silicone on the switch, the cables and the actuator lever but had no luck.

is this a sign that i need to service my post already?

I do what I want
    Don't really have any repair wisdom to share but thought this may interest you KS fanboys. I know I'm very interested.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=830380&postcount=1778

Guy Ford
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 08-02-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjeys View Post
    i've been using the i950r for about 2 months now. i'm having two problems on the post. first one is, on full compressed, when you hit the switch to extend the post, the post will not go fully extended. it will stop about 1/2 an inch to 3/4 inch before full extension. a bit of slickoleum in the collar will cure the problem but will just be enough (or sometimes not) for one ride. do i have to put slickoleum every time i ride? second problem is, the switch gets stuck. when you press the switch, it does not lock back to the original position. so the post compresses again when you sit down. i still have to manually push back the switch for it to lock in that position. i've sprayed silicone on the switch, the cables and the actuator lever but had no luck.

Try backing off your seatpost collar tightness a little, sounds like it's binding a little from being compressed too much. I had similar issues with my post and my wifes, more noticable with the remote version because you're not helping it back up. backing off the collar a bit made me think the post would move, but no issues with either so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Crazyjays, try the above advice and also loosen the torque on the remote clamp. I get issues like that if I tighten it too much.

Second thing, I service my bike, forks, etc. but this seems like a LOT of work. How much time and money is it to send the post into KS for a factory rebuild?

mtbr member
    dmorgs4: i tried backing off the collar a bit on the last few rides but did not have any luck either. any other suggestions?

mnigro: i'll try to loosed up the bolt on the remote clamp.

i second that question, how much would it cost for a factory rebuild on KS?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Try to add some pressure to that tiny little hole. Maybe it would help.

mtbr member

cannot seem to remove the nut and washer from the bottom of the post. if i turn the nut with a socket, it unscrews together with the end cap but i cannot separate the end cap and the nut. any help please?

Ninja Master Powers

cannot seem to remove the nut and washer from the bottom of the post. if i turn the nut with a socket, it unscrews together with the end cap but i cannot separate the end cap and the nut. any help please?
    Yep, I had the same exact problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    Yep, I had the same exact problem.
    It was mentioned above, insert an Allen wrench into one of the holes in the end cap to prevent it from spinning. Could probably use lockring pliers as well.

TranceX Rider
    Quick question since i haven't gotten time to peruse other posts...

My post extends when you lift up if it's in a dropped position. Is that normal? Something wrong with my post or it needs servicing already. Cuz if i remember it right when it was still new (~5mos back) it didn't exhibit such...

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast