Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Kronolog is installed on my bike, my initial impressions

My very cool dealer let me buy one of the two Kronologs he got in Friday. No, I'm not one of his fast flashy guys, I'm a 53 year old mechanical engineer that does detailed looks and evalations of the stuff I buy from him. I'm flattered he was interested to know what I would think from my warped perspective. I got the post installed, but didn't have time to "really" ride it, just around the driveway and up and down the street. My son had talked me into signing up for the Cat 5's in Saturday's road race, racing guys 1/2 my age. Thanks son, that was swell. I was 179 average heart rate for 3h16m on the 58 mile course with an 8 mile, 2700' climb (I have a weird heart).

I had a Reverb but sold it to get the Kronolog's fixed cable feature, I hated the Reverb's hydro hose snagging in my Santa Cruz Tall boy's suspension pivots when dropping or raising. And when adjusted to minimize that problem, it stuck out weird at regular height rubbing my calf. So, I am not a stranger to droppers.

So, here are my initial thoughts from just playing around with it. The specs on the box show 466gm post, and 28gm lever. Mine were actually 468 and 28, close enough. Sounds lighter than the Verb, right? They didn't put the weight of the cable and case, which is 48gm. Oversight, or sneaky? My cable system ended up 38gm by the time I trimmed the case to fit my frame. Soooo... A few grams heavier than the Reverb. But 294gm more than my Thomson. That's .65 lb for the drop feature. Worth it! That makes my bike, as shown below, 25.4 lb. Not bad for a full suspension 29er.

I like that I had the choice of sides for the actuator lever. I couldn't tell from the preliminary marketing pics what the lever would be like, so I had my dealer get me an iSpec shifter pod relocator (hooks it to the brake lever band) to make more room if needed. Happily, the Krono fits perfectly between an XT lever and XT shifter. I can take the $50 adapter back.

Installation was much more fun with a cable vs a hose, because I could clip the cable vs having to run to the shop to get the hydro hose cut. And no bleeding after. I was mad that Santa Cruz put cable stops on the frame instead of ziptie saddles when I had the Reverb, but going to cables worked out great for my combo. As you can see in the pics, the install came out exceptionally sanitary. The cable routing from the lever to the frame looks natural. The Reverb hose was a little intrusive poking straight out in the front.

Oh, yeah, the cable stop in the post's pawls uses a 2mm set screw. It pushed a kink in the cable so bad I couldn't remove the cable from the stop to fit it to my bike's lengths. I had to cut the cable, and then pull the frayed strands out with a needle nose. Before I assembled it, I got another 2mm set screw, to approach the cable from both sides in the stop so as not to kink it. Much better. Do that.

The push on the lever to release the post is very, very light touch. It's about 1/3 the force to upshift the front derailleur. And it's smooth and progressive. The outter edge of the lever moves just 3/4" to actuate the drop feature. The Reverb seemed like I had to be pushing my thumb directly colinear with the centerline of the button travel axis to get it to move without binding. I can wildly stab the Kronolog lever and it works without whining.

Riding around in controlled conditions, the post motion actuation is very nice. The adjustable pressure range is 50 to 80 PSI, I put mine at 65 as a starting point. Riding along, if I just push the lever, it will drop without any body english to get it started. The Reverb seemed like it took a little pogo bounce to get moving, as if there was some initial sticktion to overcome. I really noticed that with the Reverb, because commuting on the bike (29 miles each way), I used to like to change the seat height slightly. Moving the Reverb 1/4" was impossible. Moving the Kronolog 1/8" is easy. And with the Reverb, I felt just like with the button's sensitivity, I had to drop my fanny perfectly along same angle as the seat post to get it to drop, almost pulling the saddle forward with my cheeks. In rough conditions, I missed the drop a few times because of it. I imagine the Kronolog is going to be really easy to drop in all conditions and situations, because no matter how I tried, sitting on the saddle nose or heel, it smoothly went down.

The rebound on the Kronolog, just like they promised, is quite civilized. I have heard of guys getting tapped on the rebound with mechanical posts, but this is nice. It starts off quick, but slows in the last inch or so of travel. Very cool.

So, those are my initial impressions. I can't wait to dirt ride it. You can bash my thoughts, that's OK. It's all opinion.
    Last edited by gibbons; 03-25-2012 at 10:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice write up. My only concern is long term durability Please keep us posted. PS nice bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Nice write up. My only concern is long term durability Please keep us posted. PS nice bike!
    Thanks for the comment on my bike. I'm certainly not up to getting the most out of it, but I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and getting new stuff keeps the cycling game fun and interesting. And I need every advantage I can buy. As the rest of my joints go to pieces, my hips, knees and ankles are fine cuz I ride

Long term durability was a big question, too, but having held this post in my hands, not so much now. The silver stripe up the front and back was a big question. It has what looks like little graduations on it, some were wondering what they're really like. They are barely any depth at all. If you slide your finger nail across them, you can barely feel them. They certainly aren't machined, more like a laser etch, maybe? Therefore, I am not worried about them ripping up the seal or large amounts of guck getting in.

The seal fits snug, even on the flat sides. I'm guessing they were molded for this applicaition of round bottom, and flat sides top. In any case, they aren't round-peg-square-hole syndrome, meaning a generic round seal crammed over the unique slider shape, with gaps along the flats.

My Reverb had radial (twist) play out of the box. This has none. Absolutely none. But still goes up and down freely. We'll see how that goes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the writeup, I have to say I'm jealous! I will have to step up my efforts to find one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice post and bike. A mechanical engineer who needed to go to the shop to cut the hydro hose..Really?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-ripper View Post
    Nice post and bike. A mechanical engineer who needed to go to the shop to cut the hydro hose..Really?
    The shop has the magic cutter (Jagwire?) that keeps from crushing the inner pressure sleeve, and they have the clamp that holds the hose to tap the ferrel back in. I could hill-billy it, but I like stuff done perfectly. They are 1.5 miles away, no problem. And it's fun to stop in anyway.

For conventional cable, I don't use a cable cutter. I use a Demel with a carburandum disc because it doesn't take any force to buzz through and doesn't distort the structural wire at all. But it does melt the inner lining a bit, so I use my acetylene welder tip cleaning round files (tiny) to open it back up and smooth it. That's not hill-billy either, I make the best cuts you'll ever see

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-ripper View Post
    I know someone who is an engineer for Verizon but can't cut drywall. Everyone can't master everything.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    awesome write up there. Thusfar I have NOT bought a dropper post because none of them are reliable enough for me as of yet, I will be traveling overseas and cant really tolerate a failure at any "normal" interval. I am really interested to hear about the offroad performance and reliability as I REALLY want a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. I may get one for my birthday

mtbr member
    Awesome review and nice TB.

mtbr member
    Bikes to clean, must be a roadie....lol

Good comparison, altho some of the reverb problems you have either seemed exaggerated or something was wrong with your post. My reverb has virtually no wiggle to it (laterally), the joystick plunger presses down perfectly, the seat lowers actually pretty easily although there is a hint of initial stiction as you noted, and since I have the stealth I don't deal with the hose going up and down with the seat

Is not amused
    Great review and write up. Nice bike too.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Awesome write up I'm stuck between the reverb and the krono think you just made up my mind cheers

beater
    Ditto what everyone else already posted. And subscribed for some more thoughts on trail performance and longer-term reliability.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Very interested in long term reliability. That has not been Crank Brothers strength in the past.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Jeebus, I've been dying for some hands-on write ups, waiting to see them trickling out into eager seat-tubes. So THANKS for the initial thoughts. I'm hoping my dealer get's the two he ordered soon.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Very interested in long term reliability. That has not been Crank Brothers strength in the past.
    As a physicist/engineer I also always drooled over some CB bits, and how nicely they look and made. But then all of them that I owned failed in a fashion that seemed to indicate lack of prolonged practical testing.
    Will take a lot of happy owners reports for me to buy another bit from them.

the train keeps rollin
    Thanks, I'm liking what I read and see, except the cradle portion of the post. It's pretty narrow, I suspect bent saddle rails for a big dude like me. It should be more robust.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Great review! My biggest concern would be the same thing that has KILLED my Joplin4 on several occasions, the Air seal leaking! Hopefully they have a better setup here as I will end up with a Krono soon! CB is offering a trade in value for the Joplin owners which is great! Not sure how much though???

74 & 29 pilot
    $100 and I don't think that starts right away, at least that's what the CBs rep said the other day.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    $100 and I don't think that starts right away, at least that's what the CBs rep said the other day.

MTBP
    SWEEET! $100 off is great, I have no prob waiting a few months for that!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Do you have to be the original owner to get the trade in value? Could I go find a used Joplin and get the trade in?

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Whats retail $ on this thing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The retail is $299

mtbr member
    Great writeup. As another mech eng, I'm excited about the design of the Kronolog; the side flats and pipe clamp style lock are perfect in their simplicity.
    I'm concerned that the clamp will cause wear notches in the shaft it clamps on but I haven't seen the specifics on how it works. Hopefully, they've addressed this issue.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast