mmm dirt
    Oct 2011

kore torsion bar or race face atlas?

I've been slowly getting my 99 gt lts up to modern spec herd lately and my newest buy was a race face evolve sterling stem @120mm w/ 6║ rise. I've been riding that length and size for some time now with a flatbar and it has done me well, but with my new stem its time to get some 31.8 bars. I've. Narrowed it down to 2 ...the kore torsion flat bar wich isn't really flat 8║back and 6║oup sweep or a race face atlas 1/2" riser. I can accommodate the difference in rise by losing some headset spacers but I'm going to have to trim them down because they are both very wide. I currently have a 580mm bar and I think the max width I would be comfy with is 600. I'm not a very big guy I'm only 5'10" @145 lbs and my shoulders aren't so wide. So I'm wondering if you had a choice between the two what would it be and is it sane to cut off 100mm woth of bar to get a length I'm ok with. And I'm really stuck on these two because they come in a blue that matchs other stuff on the bike .

usually cranky
    you can trim that much. but is slowly work down. you might be surprised at how good a wider bar feels. out of the two its a crap shoot but personally i like kore.

mtbr member
    I have the Torsion bar, it came with my bike and since I hadn't used Kore since the 90's, I thought it would be one of the first things i'd change on the bike. However it ended up being a pretty sweet bar, decent weight, and comfortable. I think you can't go wrong either way, the Atlas bars are nicer looking though...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would recommend the wider bars. I run 700mm bars and a 50mm stem (Race Face Turbine and Atlas, respectively) and it feels great. I'm actually considering going wider, though not by much.

My complaint about the Race Face stuff is it scratches and scuffs easily.