Thread: kona wah wahs

see me rollin, they hatin

kona wah wahs

i know some of you guys are platform fans. i am almost about to get these pedals, but i see that the forte convert pedals look nearly the same.

my issue is, i currently have lo pro mags, and i wish the pins were a tad longer, but it would involve getting alternate pins, and probably trimming them down and seems like a PIA. besides, one pedal is spinning a little sloppy so i think its time to move on.

so....do the wah wahs have longish pins? and for anyone who has ridden the fortes, are they long? they really look like the same pedal, and if so, i'd just get the cheaper ones.

thanks bubbas.

LightJunction.com
    Forte is one of Performance Bicycle's brands. They usually just outsource the construction to a company from China or Taiwan, and they try to model their components after one of their successful competitors. They're cheaper because the name brand isn't there, and sometimes there are some slight differences, but their stuff usually performs well enough for my purposes. The best part about those Fortes is they come with Performances 100% satisfaction guarantee. If they don't work, or you don't like them, you can take them back. Sometimes, that's worth more to me than brand.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

thanks!
    my beef with the lo pro's are that the pins that are on the front edge where you toes would point, are a bit short, an i feel like my feet want to slide forward (i wear 5tens!) i've ridden others with longer pins and like the feel better. I do like the fact that the wahwahs have pins that can be adjusted in height. doesnt look like the converts can

mtbr member
    Keep an eye out on ebay for the HT an01 pedals as well. They're the generic pedal from the manufacturer in China (like how Wellgo makes pedals for a ton of other brands) and available in almost any configuration you want (magnesium bodies, titanium axles, resin body) and any color. These ARE the Forte Converts, Kona Wah-Wahs, Superstars, Nukeproofs, etc.

Seems like the seller gets a shipment in once a month and common colors sell out really quickly. Kinda bogus to look at $20 for pedals, $30 shipping but thats how you scam ebay out of buyer's fees. Report him for overcharged shipping and handling charges and enjoy your pedals. And it looks like he's changed most of his listings to mid $50s with free shipping.

eBay My World - whatasmartchoice

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm having trouble with shifting my foot with my five tens so I will try these out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    no complaints here re: my wah's. can't speak to the fortes.

mtbr member
    I've had both the Kona Wah Wah (in white) and also have the Forte Convert pedals.

The Wah Wahs were heavier, the pins were small and thin. The finish also was damaged easily and chipped off. If I was getting them again, I would definitely retap for bigger and longer pins.

I replaced the Wah Wahs with some white HT AN01 from the ebay link above, quality's there and they are good, but again, needed longer pins so I had to order those as well. Got black instead of the stainless steel and also look much better lol.

The Forte Convert had better pin placement, and better stock pins but I also replaced mine with something a little longer. Much better grip now, and the anodize finish is great. And I'll be selling them soon as I've jump on the thin flat pedal bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post

Seems like the seller gets a shipment in once a month and common colors sell out really quickly. Kinda bogus to look at $20 for pedals, $30 shipping but thats how you scam ebay out of buyer's fees. Report him for overcharged shipping and handling charges and enjoy your pedals. And it looks like he's changed most of his listings to mid $50s with free shipping.

eBay My World - whatasmartchoice

I list my items the same way, eBay already takes a big hit from us when we list AND sell, and Paypal too. The only place recoup some of that money is on shipping charges now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I actually was in the same boat recently. I spent days trying to decide which pedals to buy and ended up getting impatient and went to my local Performance Bikes and bought some Fortes. I've ridden a couple of trails with them and have absolutely no complaints. They look great, are sealed, and are real grippy though I hear can be bear traps for your shins. So far i'm loving them and have no regrets buying them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post

I list my items the same way, eBay already takes a big hit from us when we list AND sell, and Paypal too. The only place recoup some of that money is on shipping charges now.
    /threadjack. I'm guessing you're the one that negrepped me for my comments? It's one thing to charge $10 for shipping on something that costs you $5-8 to ship, something else to charge $30 for shipping and $20 for the product itself. There's a place on seller reviews for reasonable S&H charges, reasonable is $5-10, not $30.

Or you wait til Performance is having a sale and pick up the Converts for dirt cheap, you're just stuck with the gunmetal color that doesnt match anything else on the bike.

i did order the fortes....they were on back order so i may not see them for another couple weeks. its ok though, my current pedals will do for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    /threadjack. I'm guessing you're the one that negrepped me for my comments? It's one thing to charge $10 for shipping on something that costs you $5-8 to ship, something else to charge $30 for shipping and $20 for the product itself. There's a place on seller reviews for reasonable S&H charges, reasonable is $5-10, not $30.

Or you wait til Performance is having a sale and pick up the Converts for dirt cheap, you're just stuck with the gunmetal color that doesnt match anything else on the bike.
    Who cares what he's charging for shipping? I'm always looking at the total price on eBay. I couldn't care less if the pedals were $0.99 and he charged $49 to ship. The actual market price for the basic Nano series stuff is exactly what he's charging, $50 or so. Let the guy make his money. I surely wouldn't report him, unlike yourself it seems.

And I sign my reps, good or bad.

And yes, the Forte Convert color is a pain in the ass to match any component with, the only stuff that matched them were the Sunline V1 OS bars in dark grey. Color was spot on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The Forte Convert had better pin placement, and better stock pins but I also replaced mine with something a little longer. Much better grip now, and the anodize finish is great. And I'll be selling them soon as I've jump on the thin flat pedal bandwagon.
    What replacement pins did you use for the Converts? I need to replace mine and dont know what I am looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykill84 View Post
    What replacement pins did you use for the Converts? I need to replace mine and dont know what I am looking for.
    Metric set screws (product #8715) from Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online

Size 4mm x 0.7mm x 8mm, stainless steel

And these were one size up from the stock pins which were rather short, with the longer ones, the grip was super nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Metric set screws (product #8715) from Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online

Size 4mm x 0.7mm x 8mm, stainless steel

And these were one size up from the stock pins which were rather short, with the longer ones, the grip was super nice.
    Going to order some now. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've had my Fortes for over two years now and love them. They are light, thin, and I have beat the hell out of them. They have been slammed on many rocks with no issues. They are really good pedals for the price. The only little issue I've had is the pins coming out, but a little Lock Tight holds them in fine.

usually cranky
    wait, you ride bikes?

if you mean ME b-kul, i seem to remember you and i not being so far away geographically. i know you're afraid to ride with me

holy old thread. I have SPuDs and fortes. forgot all about this.
    fap

usually cranky
    i do and i am. main reason being I dont actually ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was running Wellgo MG 1's last year with no complaints. Well maybe 1, I had lost a few pins. Was going to get new ones and really liked the Wah Wahs since they had those extra pins near the axle. But ended up buying the Forte Convert. Since we have snow here in CT (hopefully temporary) I took all the pins out and lock-tited them. I'm hoping thats the cure for lost pins.

To the OP, changing pins is easy, if your only complaint about your current pedals is pins that are too short. I had bought some extras for my Wellgos at the local hardware store.

mtbr member
    I love the forte pedals. Ive been running them for 2 years with no complaints and only praise. I just got a new bike and its getting a pair of converts as well!