mtbr member

Kona Tanuki Max Tire SIze

Hello all,
    I have a 2011 Tanuki and would like to put some meatier tires on it. I contacted Kona tech support and the reply I got was not that helpful. In short, the person didn't know.

The Rock Shox manual says the Tora fits up to 2.5. I would like to put 2.5's front and rear.

Has anyone tried putting a larger sized tires on their Tanuki? If so, how large a size did you get on it?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm running 2.35 Nevegals on my 2012 at the moment. Plenty of clearance on the fork, I wouldn't go much wider on the rear though. I'm assuming you're looking to go up from the stock Maxxis Ardent 2.25's?
    Last edited by JPCars10s; 06-13-2012 at 10:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCars10s View Post
    I'm running 2.35 Nevegals on my 2012 at the moment. Plenty of clearance on the fork, I wouldn't go much wider on the rear though. I'm assuming you're looking to go up from the stock Maxxis Ardent 2.25's?
    I have another set of wheels that have Weirwolf 2.3's on them. I am looking to put 2.5's on them though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I guess if nobody has done it, buy a single 2.5 and if it doesn't fit, you can still run it on the front. If it does fit, grab another one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCars10s View Post
    I guess if nobody has done it, buy a single 2.5 and if it doesn't fit, you can still run it on the front. If it does fit, grab another one.
    I actually was thinking that myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    a maxiss 2.5 should fit fine. My wife rides a tanuki and has 2.35 Hans Dampf tires on wide rims and they clear but not with a ton of room. I think a 2.4 would be about the limit on tires that run true or a little large to size. I would like to know if you do fit a 2.5 back there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    a maxiss 2.5 should fit fine. My wife rides a tanuki and has 2.35 Hans Dampf tires on wide rims and they clear but not with a ton of room. I think a 2.4 would be about the limit on tires that run true or a little large to size. I would like to know if you do fit a 2.5 back there.
    Thanks for the info. I will give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    wow, i'm actually looking to replace my '12 tanuki stock ardents (6mths) with a set of hans dampf~ great thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Wow 88, that picture looks almost identical to one I snapped on a ride this past Sunday morning. My wheels were packed up with clay.

I have two sets of wheels and I am still running the stock Ardents on the stock wheels with upgraded rotors.

I just ordered a a set of Panaracer Cedric Gracia AM tires in 26 x 2.35. I want to see how there hold up as far as weight / size vs durability is concerned before taking the plunge and going with a full 2.5 DH sized tire. I don't want to add weight unnecessarily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

... and if we just ...

thats probably me i guess kona hasnt been popular these days huh~
    i havent seen another tanuki with havens yet~