Noobie
    Dec 2008

Kona Howler as a trail bike?

I'm looking at small (im a short guy) full-sus frames on ebay uk, and one of the few I've found (that are not downhill) is a Kona Howler frame. Would a bike built on this frame work as a decent trail bike? I ask as the frame seems to be halfway between DH and trail.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    It would pedal like crap, and not be very supple over bumps or anything trail wise. How tall are youe exactly>?
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

Noobie
    Dec 2008
    5 foot 3.

The 2nd frame I'm watching ends in 1hr30, its a Scott FX-25 g zero, which is much more appropriate for trails, but im waiting for confirmation on frame size (seller just says small). So, essentially wanted to know if Howler was a decent option if the FX-25 wasn't for me.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    5foot3 isn't rediculously small, you should be able to fit onto a small size trail bike. If worst comes to worst, you can buy a womens specific frame, built for short people
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    I think the Howler would make a great trail bike. I rode one as a rental and I was impressed with the overall versatility. It was very easy to pedal up, but it really shined when pointed down! It's too bad Kona quit producing Howlers in 2007.

Noobie
    Dec 2008
    Assuming that it does pedal like a trail bike, how did you find the weight? Similar to other trial bikes you rode? Being a DH/trail hybrid, I assume it'd be heavier, which is not what I want.

EDIT: No need to reply, search forum for other threads on the Howler, which confirm that it is indeed basically a DH/FR bike.
    Last edited by thealmightyone; 02-15-2009 at 12:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b4 stealth
    It would pedal like crap, and not be very supple over bumps or anything trail wise. How tall are youe exactly>?
    Clearly stated by somebody who's never ridden one, and has no idea what they are talking about.

The Howler is made to be a 4x bike, but it didn't quite do the job because it was a tad heavy. However, as a short travel aggressive trail bike, you can't do much better.

It does pedal well, much better then my Bass. It IS supple over the bumps, depending on how you set up the suspension. If you rock an air shock, which I would suggest for trail, then it will do everything you need and more. That said, its not the lightest bike out there, and its a tad bit slacker then most trailbikes, so keep that in mind. To me however, those are benefits. It will still climb just fine, but will deccent like mad, unlike most of the trail-speciifc bikes out onthe market.

I have a custom built Bass, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The thing that Kona has that not many other companies can really claim is a bizarre and completely intangible sense of FUN with thier bikes. I've never figured out why, but every kona that I've owned has been a great time.

I have no doubt the howler would be the same.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b4 stealth
    It would pedal like crap, and not be very supple over bumps or anything trail wise.
    Did you ride it? Are you talking form experience, or just from your ass?

What makes you think that a coil Vanilla R will not be supple enough?

You started riding a year ago, ride a hardtail, and dispense those pearls of wisdom? What a clown.

Noobie
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for that post, very informative and helpful.

Its got what plants crave
    Anyone know what the frame weighs? I rode with a guy on some lift assisted riding in Asheville who was riding one. He smoked me even though I had an extra couple of inches of travel. I think they would be a fun jump/trail bike if you aren't too concerned about pedaling. It seems that they have sort of a short seat tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I don't really see that big of a problem with it, sure its gonna be a little heavy and slack but it looks like a hell of a lotta fun if done right can't find the frame weight but to the guys that are concerned about wight don't be such weight weenies, Ive ridden downhill bikes on single track and trail, won't do it again cause they were full out heavy bikes but building from the frame up this can be remedied by parts choice.
    Keep on Ridin