mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Kona Five-O for PNW XC/AM riding?

I bought more of an xc race hardtail and after a few rides on the steeper technical stuff am seeing I should have gone with something more aggressive. I'm still planning on doing some non-competitive (for me) XC races here that are on pretty burly trails, so I want something that can climb decently but still handle having fun on moderate drops and log rides and rocky downhills.

So I found a Kona Five-0 in my size that would swap over to my xc ride with only needing to change a couple parts and push my recon race from 100 to 130mm.

Do you think this would give me a decent setup for now with options to upgrade wheels and brakes and fork as I wear stuff out?

Or am I trying too much to have a do-it-all bike that won't be good at anything?

6'3", 175 if that matters. Looking at the 20" frame.
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

mtbr member
    I've been looking at them too - PNW for me too. I've mainly been looking at steel HT frame like Blue Pig and On-One 456, etc but the Five-O and Chameleon are pretty tempting AL frames. With a 72 degree SA and 68 degree HA it's a little more XC oriented than the ones listed above. Should be a good all-around trail bike I'd think.

mtbr member
    i have the 09 deluxe version which has been great. Gear on the deluxe is reasonable.
    Good- Feels stable, kills it down hill (for a HT) must be up there with some of the best HT for DH!!, handles the rough stuff, super strong well built frame (will last a long time),
    bad- its on the heavy side, which you will feel on the climbs and any long rides (i usually drop on some lighter narrower tyres, and its fine), not great for mono's and popping the wheel up and over things etc (due to its long WB i think).
    If you can lighten it up a bit it would be a solid aggressive XC HT!!
    This is what Bikeradar says
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ca...URCE=BRMTBHOME
    Good luck!
    'keep the mission alive!'

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think it would be pretty good for it. I went with one of the Norco Shore HT lineup a couple years ago and they are sorta similar. Definitely a weight penalty for the strength of the build and frame - but it's nice to be confident that likely nothing is going to surprise you by breaking while you ride.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any clue what the frame weighs? I've been trying to find it somewhere. It might be "heavy" for an aluminum HT but I bet it's still lighter than the typical long-travel steel HT.

T.W.O
    It looks about as burly as the Diamondbacks that usually run heavier for a HT over 30 lbs stock. That being said I don't really think it's that big of a deal because your putting a lightweight fork on it, and other XC parts so it should be under 30. Usually burly HT AM frames do run on the heavy side and if that is what you want then your going to have to deal with it.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    XC rides, I'd say pass on it (five-O)

All mountain or whatever, well. no regrets. Bought the frame a few years ago and built-tweaked it. 06' 66rc2X (updated 66rc3 cart) mav 729, and so on. I built the Five-O to handle every trail I've hit with the Stinky, except CS & TNL in Santa B.

I bought the 22" 6"4" 235# Geared. If your looking for stout, buy the Five-O.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing probably around 5 lbs for the frame. Looks pretty sweet for the price you can get them. I don't know Five-O or On-One 456? Similar price range.

T.W.O
    Just depends. The FiveO is just a little more XC oriented for climbs with the SA at 72 and the HA at 68 while the On-One is 71 and 67.5 I think. It also depends on if you want bone shattering aluminum that doesn't absorb any chatter, or the nice flex of steel (I'm partial to steel).

Seems like a lot of people are moving to the Pigs, On Ones and leaving this aluminum frames alone. I would probably try either one. Having a Ragley I would like to try a Five 0.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Yeah steel is appealing and what I have mainly been looking at. However, I think a lot of the "steel is real" is just hype. The way the bike is built has more to do with it. When it comes down to it a hardtail is just that - hard. I know a lot of people who are plenty happy with AL hardtails and regularly do 6+ hour rides on them. Oh, and the slightly more XC part is what I'm kind of drawn to. It's pretty close to the geometry of my Mission 3 - I've just been wanting a change and something slightly lighter. Should shave off 2.5-3 lbs going to a HT.

habitual line-stepper
    i live in western WA and was considering a five-o (and 456/456 summer season) but ended up buying a blue pig. took the pig to galbraith recently and had a blast! the only time i felt undergunned was on the really choppy stuff, otherwise the bike is more capable than my skill set.

i also have an orange p7 (steel frame, 69* HTA). the pig has a nicer ride, imo. the p7 is nice in that you can run it geared or SS with a 100-140 mm fork. both would be worth a look for what you're trying to do. good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Have you done much other trail riding on the Pig? Where do you ride mainly?

habitual line-stepper
    i usually get my miles out at black diamond riding the church property &/or the toy tree side. tapeworm and duthie is close, too. duthie is fuuuun, especially on the pig. i want to take some time and work on jumps this year, then i can see a pig fly!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16
    It's pretty close to the geometry of my Mission 3 - I've just been wanting a change and something slightly lighter. Should shave off 2.5-3 lbs going to a HT.
    Classic! I recently got a mission after having my five-0 for a while. Was loooking for something to be able to hit the rough stuff a bit faster etc. Geo is similar, and at the moment the fivo-0 may be slightly lighter, but I have a heavy mission 1 09 (near 35 lbs). Dont get me wrong I love the Kona but there is little weight difference as they are now. But if you could lighten it up it would be a great AM single track machIne. I find it fine jumping from one bike to the other and have a blast on both, as they sort of ride the same.( ie have to work a bit up the hills but go down the hill like crazy!!) Was planning to sell the kona when I got the mission but may turn it into my cruisy day trail bike and use my mission for those bombing, Dh jump days!!
    'keep the mission alive!'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pow77
    Classic! I recently got a mission after having my five-0 for a while. Was loooking for something to be able to hit the rough stuff a bit faster etc. Geo is similar, and at the moment the fivo-0 may be slightly lighter, but I have a heavy mission 1 09 (near 35 lbs). Dont get me wrong I love the Kona but there is little weight difference as they are now. But if you could lighten it up it would be a great AM single track machIne. I find it fine jumping from one bike to the other and have a blast on both, as they sort of ride the same.( ie have to work a bit up the hills but go down the hill like crazy!!) Was planning to sell the kona when I got the mission but may turn it into my cruisy day trail bike and use my mission for those bombing, Dh jump days!!
    haha....nice. The grass is always greener. Well I plan to swap all my Mission 3 components over to whatever HT I get so it's a pretty good component set and should make a decent bike. I'll be looking to get some better wheels and lighter tires but other than that I'm pretty set. Unless something used comes along it's looking like the 456, Five-O, or Blue Pig. The Pig is a decent amount more though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What about a Cowan?

Seems it might be a little less overbuilt and since it takes a 100mm fork, might work a little better for the XC side of things? They have one in a large with a 24.8TT that would probably fit me nicely.

2008 Frame for $219 shipped.
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with it but looking at the current model it looks like a DJ bike. I think the Five-O should make a great general use trail bike. I'm very tempted to pick one up.

T.W.O
    A cowan is a dj bike that is usually set up 1x9 so you can get it up a hill that your about to bomb down. This is not an XC bike and should not be used as such.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Five-O is a solid bike for the PNW. I haven't seen too many on our trails, most people are sipping the TransAM juice lately, but Konas are built for hell.
    People complain Kona builds heavier bikes on average, but they also stand the test of rough riding.

T.W.O
    Transition doesn't have simple koolaid, they are a great company. More like they have their own strip club with your own dance.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    I do think it looks like a sweet frame. However, I just keep going back to the Blue Pig for some reason. As much as I try to convince myself AL would be fine too, or I should get X or Y because it's close and cheaper, I'm thinking I should just go for what I know I really want....a PIG! I just wish I could find a 16in first gen!

mtbr member
    I have the 09 version, to be honest I was disappointed with the bike. It seems like a welded together FS bike, also some of the components were questionable, although fair for the price. To be honest the bike was too heavy for XC/trail use, it is good at light FR and AM although FS bikes are much better for AM/FR unless the trails are very smooth.

I'd buy a lighter slack HT bike like Identiti AKA, or a more popular better proven AL HT like a SC Chameleon, a steel HT like a Ragley Blue Pig and run lighter components or a 2nd hand FS like a SC Heckler.

I just think a heavy AL HT is a chore, at least with a FS or steel frame you get some rear end softness with your lead sled.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtec
    Five-O is a solid bike for the PNW. I haven't seen too many on our trails, most people are sipping the TransAM juice lately, but Konas are built for hell.
    People complain Kona builds heavier bikes on average, but they also stand the test of rough riding.
    I can't get enough of it.

And after owning a steel hardtail, I would never go back to an aluminum counterpart. My ass thanks me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    I can't get enough of it.

And after owning a steel hardtail, I would never go back to an aluminum counterpart. My ass thanks me.
    Is it really that noticable? I've never had a steel HT - just an aluminum HT and a full squishy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am not super sold on the steel is real stuff. I have a rigid cromoly bike, which I pretty much only commute on, since I hate it off-road and an aluminum HT. Never ridden a steel bike with a modern suspension fork though. Everyone that builds up a brand new steel framed HT seems to love the ride, but it's not really an objective group. Plus people that go to the effort of building a bike from the frame up tend to put a lot of thought into the components.