mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Kona Explosif vs NS Eccentric

I need help deciding which frame to buy. Either frame will be built up using 26in wheels and a 26in Fox Float 32 150mm fork, with the intention that i will upgrade later to 650B when funds allow. I've narrowed it down to these 2 frames as both will allow me to use most of my existing parts, including the rear through axle.

NS Bikes 2014 - Stay True!
    KONA BIKES | 2015 BIKES | TRAIL 27.5" HT | EXPLOSIF

Both frames are similar in geometry, and will end up with about a 300mm bottom bracket height once built up with my existing 26in parts. I'm leaning towards the Explosif at the moment as it will be easier to single speed later down the track when i feel like a change again.

So does anyone have experience with either? Provide me with any pros/cons to help me decide either way?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS220 View Post
    I need help deciding which frame to buy. Either frame will be built up using 26in wheels and a 26in Fox Float 32 150mm fork, with the intention that i will upgrade later to 650B when funds allow. I've narrowed it down to these 2 frames as both will allow me to use most of my existing parts, including the rear through axle.

NS Bikes 2014 - Stay True!
    KONA BIKES | 2015 BIKES | TRAIL 27.5" HT | EXPLOSIF

Both frames are similar in geometry, and will end up with about a 300mm bottom bracket height once built up with my existing 26in parts. I'm leaning towards the Explosif at the moment as it will be easier to single speed later down the track when i feel like a change again.

So does anyone have experience with either? Provide me with any pros/cons to help me decide either way?
    I don't own either of these frames but did get a ride on an Explosif last year. The main thing that kept me from buying was the reach numbers did not translate to how compact the bike felt in large. I would suggest try before you buy if possible.

The main differences I can see are the Eccentric geo numbers are based on a 140mm fork and Explosif #'s on a 120 fork. If you have not already found them, there are a number of threads on the Explosif in the 27.5 forum. Not much info on the Eccentric yet. Good luck with your choice and report back with your opinions.
    Portland Off Road Navagators