mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Kona Dawg Deluxe vs. Kona King Kikapu

I am getting ready to buy a new bike. I havent ridden in about 7 years and cant decide between the King kikapu and the Dawg Deluxe. I have been advised both ways. I am 6 ft 230 lbs so people have said the the dawg would better suit my weight. I have also been told that I would enjoy the kikapu more because its lighter and faster.

I guess my question goes to dawg riders...do you really notice the extra weight?

any advice or suggestions would be great!

mtbr member
    at 230, I would go with the Dawg,

I'm 205 and would go with the Dawg
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

ride hard take risks
    I'll 2nd the Dawg
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You dont think the weight will be a problem? I will be doing a fair bit of climbing.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanyRocket
    You dont think the weight will be a problem? I will be doing a fair bit of climbing.
    Im 5'7" 180 hate climbing & ride a 39lb bike up hill as far as i can & hike what i cant climb, it's all about the decending for me. Go with the Dawg & smile
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

attending to my vices
    I had a kikapu and should have gone with a Dawg.

go with the Dawg, it's not a slow bike by any means accept for a racer maybe and you will have much more fun when you point it downhill or get to ride some rougher trails. By all means though go test ride both yourself if you can as that will tell you exactly what you like.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

Carb free mofo
    Dec 2006
    yea go with the dawg! I've got a dawg deluxe 06 and tweaked it to suit my needs. I've put on wider bars, easton vice 70mm stem, odi rogue grips, v12 pedals and changed the crankset to shimano hone (hollowtech). I've got a 2.35 DH high roller on the front and I'm still rocking the nokian out back. It can handle the climbs and as soon as I get to anything remotely DH I end up in attack mode!

Still a child inside...

don't like the dawgs

They too heavy for XC but too weak for aggro AM/FR.
    If you push it harder, or not a smooth guy, consider the Reigns or smt else..

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    what is a reigns?

banned
    Sep 2005
    I've pounded the hell out of my Dawg for a couple years now, and I've found it to be more than up to any task I ask of it. Plenty fast enough for XC and plenty beefy for AM and light FR duties.

Not too hard to build up reasonably lightly either. I'm tipping about 30lbs with the current build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    +1 on the Dawg.
    At 230lb, durability is more important than saving a few pounds on the bike.
    You might check the Clydesdale forum, there are probably lots of posts about where you can save weight without breaking too many parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what is a reigns?
    Here you go:

http://www.giantbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/7/

A good point would be, try some other bikes.

Giant
    Trek
    Rocky Mountain
    Specialized
    Devinci
    Iron Horse
    etc

You should find one you like that is durable enough for your weight.

Living the High Life
    Both frames are going to be strong, its more like what components on the bike. If you beat on it you may be replacing components on the Kickapu that are similar to the Dawg. i.e heavier duty rims / bottom bracket / longer travel fork, etc.

So, do you plan to climb and keep the bike on the ground, or are you going to descend pretty fast and hit some rocks,roots, small drops?

Option 1 = Kickapu
    Option 2 = Dawg
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member

Dawg vs Kick

Dawg is a good name for these type of bikes because that is exactly how they handle . I have had both type rigs for a couple seasons and the back country rigs are plush and great for bashing over big objects and bombing downhill. But mine sucked in just about every other category. if you you like the light snappy feel of an XC bike you will be disappointed with the Dawg. I dumped my Slayer for the King Kik (now just the king). For my style of riding it is a much more satisfying ride. Nice precise handling with light tugs on the bars placing the front wheel just where you want it. Snappy feel when you step down on the crank. Hop , pull and finesse your way through objects without feeling like you are wrestling some fat chick. And you will feel fresher longer.

If you just like to sit on the couch and bash over stuff and like the thrill of big drops then the Dawg is the best choice.

If you like feeling fresh on climbs, ripping through tight rolling,single track and the challenge of riding a technical line...then go with the king

The trouble with Konas in general is there sh#tty spec. I replaced wheels before I took possession and since then My head set, BB and Race Face crank splines have all failed. My LBS is calling Race Face now about my cranks and they are not answering the phone

These outfits are going to force me to look at large manufactures the next time I buy a bike

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jbuhl
    Dawg is a good name for these type of bikes because that is exactly how they handle . I have had both type rigs for a couple seasons and the back country rigs are plush and great for bashing over big objects and bombing downhill. But mine sucked in just about every other category. if you you like the light snappy feel of an XC bike you will be disappointed with the Dawg. I dumped my Slayer for the King Kik (now just the king). For my style of riding it is a much more satisfying ride. Nice precise handling with light tugs on the bars placing the front wheel just where you want it. Snappy feel when you step down on the crank. Hop , pull and finesse your way through objects without feeling like you are wrestling some fat chick. And you will feel fresher longer.

If you just like to sit on the couch and bash over stuff and like the thrill of big drops then the Dawg is the best choice.

If you like feeling fresh on climbs, ripping through tight rolling,single track and the challenge of riding a technical line...then go with the king

The trouble with Konas in general is there sh#tty spec. I replaced wheels before I took possession and since then My head set, BB and Race Face crank splines have all failed. My LBS is calling Race Face now about my cranks and they are not answering the phone

These outfits are going to force me to look at large manufactures the next time I buy a bike
    So it's Kona's fault that a RaceFace product crapped out? Interesting line of reasoning.

I'll combat your assertion that the dawg is a pig. Quite the contrary, my dawg has NO problem with snappiness on the cranks or handling tight rolling singletrrack. Then again, I chose to build from a frame and not purchase a stock bike, but tit for tat. It's all what you do with it.

I personally couldn't deal with the angles on the Kikapu...just didn't work for me.

mtbr member

kona

Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    So it's Kona's fault that a RaceFace product crapped out? Interesting line of reasoning.

I'll combat your assertion that the dawg is a pig. Quite the contrary, my dawg has NO problem with snappiness on the cranks or handling tight rolling singletrrack. Then again, I chose to build from a frame and not purchase a stock bike, but tit for tat. It's all what you do with it.

I personally couldn't deal with the angles on the Kikapu...just didn't work for me.
    sorry didn't mean to kick dirt on the Dawg. I should use more diplomacy on a first post: remember it's just my .02

It's not just Kona:
    My point is that you pay a premium for bikes like Kona and Rocky Mountain and get cheese on many spec parts. I have always tried to support these smaller custom companies but it's getting tough to justify. Look a Jamis bikes for instance, you always get superior spec for your $$ and they are not a huge outfit. If you have unlimited $$ then knock yourself out.

I didn't say it was a pig (maybe fat chick is close?). Those type of bikes just feel sluggish to me now and depending on what type of riding you do weight does matter and the relaxed geometry does affect handling.

Just like you said. "The angles didn't work for you" The angles on the Back Country rigs don't work for me and I mean "work". Those bikes don't handle the way I like a bike to handle. And this common point is something that nobody has mentioned: How does the bike fit? Thats why the Kik won out for me over other XC bikes is because that frame fit me like a glove.

Like the other poster suggested: Try to demo the bikes somehow and really really think about what type of riding your enjoy and doing 90% of the time
    Last edited by jbuhl; 06-27-2007 at 12:04 PM.