mtbr member
    May 2006

Kona Abracadabra. It's magic! Sorry, double posted!

Here is my Kona Abracadabra, my first Kona.

This most be the most unsung hero of AM bikes right now.

Magic link is really amazing, it's like having two bikes in one. On the sprints and climbs its a firm, short travel XC bike... Then when you hit the downs it really transforms into a real AM machine swallowing everything in it's path.

Transformation is seamless.

Square edged hits activate the magic link instantly, almost making them unnoticeable.

This is the 2011 version with longer top tube, slacker head angle and lower bottom bracket.

I love this bike.

Cheers,

Chaser,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Abracadabra. It's magic! Sorry, double posted!-abracadabra.jpg  

Last edited by Chaser; 06-16-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: double posted

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great looking bike

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    This Hater is gonna HATE if you keep showin off son!

*jig dance* Wish I had one...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    looking saweet! going to be getting one of these very soon. Good climber? What framezie did you get?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumV12 View Post
    This Hater is gonna HATE if you keep showin off son!

*jig dance* Wish I had one...
    Lol, thanks :-)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by findhan View Post
    looking saweet! going to be getting one of these very soon. Good climber? What framezie did you get?
    Thanks. It's an 18" My bottom bracket to top of saddle measurement is 700mm. Im 5'8"
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Chaser.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    cool, gonna get myself sized up this week hopefully!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    This may be the wrong thread, but I currently have the option to purchase a lightly used demo 2011 Kona Abra Cadabra for $3000. This will be my first AM/trail bike. I have ridden it, and it rides very nicely, especially on technical climbs, which are my weak point. It also has a pretty good component selection, with TALAS fork, Haven wheels, and mostly XT drivetrain.

I live in Denver, Co, and ride mostly front range trails. Most of the terrain tends to be steep, with lots of rocks, and loose on hardpack.

That being said, one limiting factor for the frame may be the 135 qr rear dropouts. These work just fine for me right now, but I am concerned that it will limit my options later during the life of the bike.

I really like the bike, but a large part of my desire to purchase it is also the price.

I would really appreciate any feedback that anyone can offer.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post

Square edged hits activate the magic link instantly, almost making them unnoticeable.

This would be dependent on the rear wheel's axle path, and the Kona does not measure up compared to other designs which have a noticeably rearward travelling axle path (or at least a potion of their travel). Kona's chosen position of the BB/chainstay pivot does not allow for this (compare it to something like a Santa Cruz Bullit). I think it's more marketing hoopla than anything since most bikes that claim they take square bumps better than a competitor's only have a few mm of rearward axle travel in many cases (FSR tends to claim this but the rearward axle travel is nearly negligible in most bikes that incorporate the horst link).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andtoig View Post

I would really appreciate any feedback that anyone can offer.

Thanks!
    I live in Denver and ride the same trails as you, and I have never seen a Magic Link bike on the trails. Not once. Plenty of other Konas out there riding but not the Magic Link versions. Honestly if it was any good you'd see them all over. Like you said, the front range trails are all long climb up, long roost down, which is exactly what the ML is supposed to be designed for. The fact that you don't see them ripping trails is a clue that they aren't quite as advertised.

But hey, maybe it works well and I just haven't seen any! That does not excuse a $3,000 asking price. For a used demo, no less! For that kind of money you can get into a brand new Yeti 575, or Giant Reign, or almost any of the proven designs. $3k is just too much for a ML Kona in my opinion.

Regarding the 135mm spacing- your only other choices are 142mm and 150mm. 142mm bikes are pretty rare so far, and aren't much stiffer anyway. 150mm rears are only on DH bikes nowadays. So 135mm is still standard, and nothing to worry about. If I found a bike that did everything I wanted, except it had 135mm and I wanted a 142 rear, I would still buy it.

If you really want the Magic Link Kona then go for it! But personally I would not even consider one. I would rather have an older Dawg or a Tanuki for CO Front Range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    This would be dependent on the rear wheel's axle path, and the Kona does not measure up compared to other designs which have a noticeably rearward travelling axle path (or at least a potion of their travel). Kona's chosen position of the BB/chainstay pivot does not allow for this (compare it to something like a Santa Cruz Bullit). I think it's more marketing hoopla than anything since most bikes that claim they take square bumps better than a competitor's only have a few mm of rearward axle travel in many cases (FSR tends to claim this but the rearward axle travel is nearly negligible in most bikes that incorporate the horst link).
    The lower link/pivot literally moves backwards..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The lower link/pivot literally moves backwards..
    I'm having a plate full of crow right now- just watched a youtube vid- not the typical Kona Faux bar I thought it was. But- I will refer back to my original reply where I stated square bump compliance is mostly marketing hoopla on any design! How many mm does it have in rearward horizontal travel- is a few mm of rearward travel really going to dampen the blow of a square edge bump when you're ripping along at 15-25 mph?

However, I think one of Kona's strong points was their frames' simplicity and durability- I have a feeling like many more complex modern technologies, more "advanced" suspension is going to reasult in more problems. I hope I'm wrong for the OP's sake.
    Last edited by Haus Boss; 04-13-2012 at 07:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Magic link had a lot of problems when it came out, kona even basically admitted that the first coil-air was a flexy pos. They fixed it pretty quick, and issues never seemed to hit the cadabra. Its been 4 years now, it seems like they got a problem free setup.

My regular 4-bar dawg doesnt like BIG square bumps.. like hitting a very large square rock. It doesnt absorb it very nicely. The square edge has to be large enough that hitting it at speed wouldnt quite be safe though. Its kind of a low-speed crawl issue. My maestro bike didnt hang up over stuff like this. Magic link seemed to hang up less. I wasnt on one long enough to really tell, but I dont think its that big of a deal. Those features on trails kinda stop you no matter what you're riding.

All in all, the cadabra is the only 160mm bike that literally IS a 100mm bike on climbs. Other companies advertise that they climb like a short travel xc bike, but magic link locks out the travel and puts you in a climbing geometry. It slacks out, gets longer, and has full travel going down. Its not just marketing, its honestly doing something no one else is these days.

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    ...I will refer back to my original reply where I stated square bump compliance is mostly marketing hoopla on any design! How many mm does it have in rearward horizontal travel- is a few mm of rearward travel really going to dampen the blow of a square edge bump when you're ripping along at 15-25 mph?
    My guesstimate would be that the swingarm moves about a centimeter (about 0.4 in) horizontally.It doesn't sound that much, but it really makes a difference in square bump compliance.
    I remember when I was testing a '09 Coilair Supreme a few years ago and rode it on the same trails I rode with my Stinky.The Coilair was better at square bump compliance.It wasn't a better freeride bike (it wasn't meant to be, to be honest), but it certainly was better at that one thing.That, and climbing
    I've since ridden quite a lot of different bikes with different suspension designs including newer Magic Link Konas (which have only improved) and I think the Cadabra is one of the best options for a trail bike intended to be also ridden in bumpier terrain.

So, why don't we see that many Cadabras on the trails?I think the answer is fairly simple.There are two main things working against Kona as a brand: they're not exactly mainstream right now (mainly because of their "old school" suspension), and while they were good value a few years ago, they aren't that much any more.
    But I bet the Cadabra in particular would surprise (in a good way ) a good deal of people if they just gave it a chance and test rode it.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    FWIW my friend just picked up a lightly used demo abra cadabra for short money and i had a chance to ride it.
    It definitely is more oriented toward the xc side than am side of the am spectrum. Im not sold on the changing head tube angle with the magic link. When its time to desend hard i want all the rake there all the time.( ride 2 on the bike he went over the bars bad on a desent) maybe his fault... maybe not...
    I thought the bike felt like it was skittish and very choppy in the stutter bumps. We experimented with shock psi with little success in achieving plushness. It does climb as advertised though. On tight twisty stuff it pedals nice and very responsive steering.

He rode my Reign 2 and commented that it felt like a MX bike going downhill compared to his ride. He also struggled on the steeper climbs on my reign.

The quality / build of the Kona is very, very nice. The retail price would steer me in another direction though.

mtbr member
    Playing around with the sag on the magic link makes a huge difference in feel and how slack the bike settles on down hills.It takes some time, is fiddly but is worth it in the long run.