mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Knolly chilcotin or something carbon

Not sure, do I get the knolly or a carbon all mountain bike i.e nomad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A huffy or walmart mongoose should do for your weight, terrain, riding style, # of days in the park, uphill/downhill preference.
    2012 Knolly Chilcotin
    2002 Haro VGF V3 - Still have my first real mtb

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I hear a longer stem and narrow bar is THE thing to have at the moment.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

Slower But Faster
    They're both good bikes, nod to the carbon frame for increased stiffness but it really will come down to which one you like the best when you have a test ride.

How much further ???
    Not sure what you are asking. Its like asking "should I get a Jeep Wrangler or something with 4 wheel drive?" I have no idea how to respond to your question.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member

Is this a carbon versus aluminum question ? I have two carbon mtn bikes and one aluminum mtn bike. I don't feel the carbon bikes are stiffer. I've also owned a chilcotin and currently have a mojo HD my only concern with the carbon was how it would handle sharp rock impacts when I crashed. So far so good. I can also happily compare knolly 4x4 to VPP2 to DW link but again not sure what you're trying to ask ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I currently have an orange 5 pro and thinking of an upgrade, I guess what I'm asking is, is the chili a good upgrade or is a carbon bike like the nomad, transition covert or mojo hd a better option. I have currently not been on any of them as the shops are waiting for demo bikes to come in, so any feedback or other bike recommendations would be welcome.

mtbr member

Chilcotin is an awesome and very capable bike. Adjustable head angle and bb height via moving the shock bolt. Compared to a HD it definitely leans more toward the light freeride side the things. The suspension is extremely active all the time. On steep technical climbs it digs in and tractors up stuff. Whereas the DW and VPP2 bikes stiffen slightly and power up. On a fire road i'd take them over 4x4. The HD is also very capable and the frame is about a pound lighter. I run mine with a -1 degree angleset. I got the HD because I wasn't pushing the Chilcotin close to its potential so decided to get something lighter and a little more all mountain. I also have a Mach 5.7c which is pretty capable with 2.35 Hans dampfs and a pike 150. With a fox 32 or revelation and racier tires I think it's more of a sportier trail bike if that makes sense. DW bikes tend to have a little platform feel to them. Pivot with the most (although I hear not so with the Mach 6).

mtbr member
    wilks: thanks for the comparison between the HD and Chilcotin. I'm looking at a new frame and deciding between the HDR and Knolly, though likely the Endorphin.
    Overall, what do you like better overall, strictly on fun factor -- the Ibis or the Knolly?
    Thanks,
    Jon

mtbr member

When I wasn't slogging uphill I'd take the Knolly (just). But the Endo is a different beast to the Chilcotin. Also both the Chilcotin and HD are better once you ditch the CTD rear shocks.

mtbr member
    Sheesh...