Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Knee Pads suggestion

Anyone out there use knee pads for cross country? after numerous recent crashes latest resulting in stitches figured its time to try a set out.

was looking at sixsixone KYLE STRAIT or EVO KNEE

curious if anyone uses them as to how they feel after 1+ hour of xc riding

Perpetual Hack

661 Combo pack

Kyle Strait Knees
    Evo Elbows

After a couple of minutes you don't even know they are there.

michael

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I've got a pair of veggie knee pads, there not hard pads but are really comfy while riding and have saved my knees several times
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am riding the EVO knees and know several with the KS knees. The KS have a hard insert, the EVOs dont.
    I dig my EVOs and they have taken the brunt of several rock impacts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    how do you find the EVO on long rides? i am leaning towards them

Praise Bob
    I had 661 Race pads and they were vented well and stayed in place, but the velcro stretched out so much in one season that they no longer stay in place.

I got Roach Rally FR pads and they work great. Not as well ventelated as the 661s but they stay in place really well. During the summer it is too hot to ride with them (I live in Florida).

I know those two pads I suggested are bigger than what you were probably wanting since you mentioned using the Veggies, but the protection is worth it. I wack my shins way more than my knees and the full coverage is worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfoxy76
    how do you find the EVO on long rides? i am leaning towards them
    Most of my rides are 3-4 hours (is that long to you?). I really don't notice them. Every once in a while, I will pull them up/adjust a bit, but they aren't stifling hot, they are flexible and they just disappear. I started riding with them in Central TX a few months back and haven't looked back - I have too many riding friends with knee problems to skip a bit of protection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Most of my rides are 3-4 hours (is that long to you?). I really don't notice them. Every once in a while, I will pull them up/adjust a bit, but they aren't stifling hot, they are flexible and they just disappear. I started riding with them in Central TX a few months back and haven't looked back - I have too many riding friends with knee problems to skip a bit of protection.

thanks seals the deal for me ordering a pair just now

Back at it and LOVIN' it!
    +1 for the 661 Kyle Straits!

I found these to be THE most comfortable - I tried the EVOs and was willing to pay the price but didn't find them as comfortable - Rode the Straits twice so far and hardly noticed they were there
    Ride Hard - Ride Safe - Have Fun

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

I'm living the dream!
    I have the EVOs and don't notice them at all on 3-4 hour rides. I bought them just for the more gnarly trails but now I don't ride without them on any trail.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Roach rally FR are sweet....

mtbr member
    kyle straits....
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've uses the same 661 4x4 (leg) and 2x4 (arm) pads for several years now, and they still fit fine, since they wrap around and don't rely just on straps. Plus they are light and easy to pack on the climbs.

Engineer The Future Now!
    +1 for 661 Kyle Straits and EVO elbows

I went with the KS over the EVO for the knee because I felt the KS offered better protection. The EVO does not have the same side impact pads right at the kneecap and during simulated crash testing (read bashing knees into things and things into knees) I "felt" alot more of the impacts than with the KS. I will say that the EVO is very light and hinders movement a little less than the KS but overall I think the KS is a better design. Can't go wrong with either tho
    holy...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    KS for me, been riding with them on most of my rides, starting to rip on the sides for some reason (6-8 mths of weekly wear)...
    been lookin at the TLD ones (something similar can't rem the model though), but heard they run almost 2 sizes too small.
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

team blowin it

i had the kyle straight and wore them for the dowieville dh after i had a bad knee bruising crash a couple weeks before. they were waaay to heavy, irritating to even think about wearing them on the XC day of the AM class.

I wanted to find something that worked better and I really liked the idea of knee pads all the time, i like the warmth on my old knees, the compression works good, but i don't like the rubbing, or weight.

I found a few things after racing my kyle straights, and the best in that genre were the "team blowin it". you can find them on google at bmx places. they are way more comfy, lighter, don't rub, just a much better product.

i took it further, as i think this is still overkill for a stardand xc ride so i tried a couple types of volleyball pads... so, i ended up sewing the pad from a mcdavid hex lightweight volleyball knee pad on my sugoi knee warmers. super cozy, super nice, no weight and no rubbing. that's my day to day deal now and i love em. of course, w/ an abrasive crash, they aren't going to be that durable, but i'm ok w/ that.

so check out the blowin it.

cheers,
    holiday

My bike is cooler then me
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll_Jockey
    Roach rally FR are sweet....

if you get them cheap cheap on Jenson... HAHA

really all the 661 stuff i liked before i feel apart...
    full size race knee and the matching elbows needed some sewing after a season. not horrible thou.

JJ I wanna see the new Nomad
    '09 Cannondale Moto Carbon 2

'is that a Thomson in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr11
    KS for me, been riding with them on most of my rides, starting to rip on the sides for some reason (6-8 mths of weekly wear)...
    been lookin at the TLD ones (something similar can't rem the model though), but heard they run almost 2 sizes too small.
    Tried the TLD T-Bone Guards and weren't anything like the comfort of the KS...and felt I had the correct size on

Team Blowin' It's pads don't look bad...would like to try a pair on

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i received my evo pads and they are to "big" for xc in my opinion so going to return them

how are the kyle strait?

mtbr member
    i received my evo pads and they are to "big" for xc in my opinion so going to return them

how are the kyle strait?
    I have clocked up a few miles with kyle straits on.....no problem, you forget they are there after a while.....
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

Engineer The Future Now!

how are the kyle strait?
    The KS are a bit bulkier than the EVO. If you think the EVO is "big" I doubt you are going to like the KS.
    holy...

TLL
    mtbr member
    Kyle Straits for XC, Fox leg armor for everything else.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

how are the kyle strait?

Straits will be bulky for you too - I was looking at these but like the protection of the Straits

Have a look at these...Pro-Tec Double Downs...hard cap and pretty cheap on eBay

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hncreature
    Straits will be bulky for you too - I was looking at these but like the protection of the Straits

Have a look at these...Pro-Tec Double Downs...hard cap and pretty cheap on eBay

thank you think i am going to try these out, price is nice and cheap also!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

how are the kyle strait?
    ''

same design, different pad material,

i had both as well, both were not nearly as good as the team blowin it I ended up getting. i tried 4 or 5 different ones.

i like the team blowin it if i'm riding more aggressive rides, day to day, my sugoi knee warmers, w/ the volleyball padd sewed on are head an shoulders above any others.

good luck,

holiday

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast