mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Klein Mnatra Race Is she dead?

Is the 1/4 inch play in the lower frame likely due to bushing wear or is it more likely that the carbon fiber is worn. This old design has many detractors and for good reason. But she is still a beautiful Red/silver and it hurts to think it may be ready for the scrap heap.
    Anybody ever had any experience with this?

cyk
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

dealer will know....

....the pivot can be rebuilt.....Trek/Klein should have kits available still.

I went through 3 of those frames and still think they're one of the best climbers ever built. Too bad they sucked so bad descending.
    Earn the descent.

mtbr member

I'm surprised.....

you're not dead. This bike had some very strange handling characteristics. Must have thrown me at least 3x without warning. Glad you survived it. If I were you, I'd give it a good sendoff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon
    you're not dead. This bike had some very strange handling characteristics. Must have thrown me at least 3x without warning. Glad you survived it. If I were you, I'd give it a good sendoff.
    I have a friend who can atest to that, broke his wrist in Mammoth. When i saw the scene of the crime years later i couldn't figure it out, trail was 4' wide, 6" step down with 10' of runout. Friend on a Blur now but he still insists the Mantra pedalled better.

Nothing here
    I've been bucked off one of those going through a little g-out. Didn't shed one tear when I sold it and shipped that mother off. Why spend more money on an antiquated bizarre bike when there are literally hundreds of better designs out there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

No good Klein Mantra replies

Well,
    As judge, jury and executioner your verdict is clear. It seems we have a consensus and her fate is sealed. She will be hung at sunset on ceiling hooks bound for some antique museum or a dishonerable mention in some MBR archive when I kick my last crank. Her crime was prima facia conspiracy to maim with one or two ***** pitches that got my attention (and finally explained) while riding on the hoop d' do bayou trails in Houston. I shudder what a long complicated decent out west where you guys ride would do to an old fart rider like me. From a weight standpoint, she was light on her feet and I could cruise well with road bikes if her tits were inflated. Like some of my girlfriends, I'll miss her looks only.

As a parting question, are there that many bikes in that weight range that are not carbon fiber that can be had without having to custom build one yourself. Are carbon fiber frames even used in competition anymore if ever?
    Thanks for highly informative reply fellas...

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Trux51
    even used in competition anymore if ever?
    Yes, mainly in XC races, You will see a bunch of carbon there. for example:
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I like it. Did you just buy the frame and then install hardware?
    Thanks,
    Gy

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Trux51
    I like it. Did you just buy the frame and then install hardware?
    Thanks,
    Gy

If you are talking about the specialized, it is not my bike, just a pic off the net as an example.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ok, I understand.
    It is a great looking frame no doubt

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, all crashes must be blamed on the equipment..

Come on -- the Mantra was quirky, but every bike has different riding characteristics. It's the rider's job to adapt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Fair shot... Adapt or die