Thread: Kidney Belt

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Kidney Belt

Hey Guys,
    Long time lurker here looking for some advice. I have done quite a few searches and still couldnt find the exact answer I wanted. Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum, however mods; feel free to move me.

So any ways, long story short I have one kidney and just recently damaged the other in a snowboard incident. Doctors have cleared me to ride, but urged me to ride carefully.

I have been researching kidney belts for some time and was curious how many of you ride with one? If you ride with one what brand you ride with and why did you choose that over the others you looked at. I will be using it for mild downhill and quite a bit of xc.

Im hoping to make a purchase in the next week and get back on the saddle. Thanks in advance for your prompt responses.
    o1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey man,
    Not exactly the same thing but I have/had a lower back problem. I was advised to ride, ski, even play soccer with a support belt. It took a bit of time to get used to it, but now with its help I have not had any pain in almost 2 months. Wish you good luck in finding sth that will work well for you.
    Cheers

Nice day for a ride.....
    I use a kidney belt on the moto bike, its not going to protect you from an impact injury but will hold everything in place while being jarred and shocked around. I've never thought of using one on an MTB mostly because the speeds are slower and there is much less vibration/ shock to the body, but if I was in your situation I'd consider it. It can't hurt to have some extra protection.

I use a Fox Black Belt on the moto, no issues, I'd recommend it.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    just get any kidney belt from a mx dealer,i think they all do the same thing.i have a fox which is comfortable enough that i only use for whistler.i dont use it for xc riding.it was the only one i looked at too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks Guys. I figured the belts are pretty similar in comparison. Just want to make sure I have something that breathes well and I wont end up with another problem. :-)

Any additional feedback is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For future kidney belt questioners concerned about past injuries, I recommend one of the Dainese lumbar protectors if your looking for more than just organ support. They are available in both CE level 1 and CE level 2 certifications for impact protection. I haven't come across any others that clearly are. They are a bit pricey and found under street gear in most places, but I'm considered getting one for a little extra hard shell protection that I can wear over my POC VPD 2.0 Jacket.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have used a moto kidney belt for years on my snowmobile, but never thought of it on a mtn bike.