Thread: KHS Why so few

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

KHS Why so few

With such a good components list and good price, why are there not more KHS Lucky 7 and Velvet bikes out on the trails? Ia it just price paranoia? is it the ride? I havent had a chance to try anybody's so I cant evaluate. Info would be appreciated.

usually cranky
    there just a relativly small player. its not the quality its just the volume.

mtbr member
    No gimmicky marketing. thats what sells bikes these days. KHS is too far in the middle, they just dont stand out.

mtbr member
    Ive been riding my KHS AM2000 for the last 3 yrs.but is is a 2004 design. They make good bikes but like he said no marketing nor bling. Rear suspension design is leased from specialized. To try to keep up I have replaced everything but the frame. still a load at 32 lbs. I'm will be testing the new Pivot 5.7 and a Niner RIP soon. Time to upgrade.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Their sales will pick up once they start spec'ing all their trail bikes, excuse me, 'All Mountain', with white rims, bars and stem. That seems to be driving that market right now.

Beer Swilling Clyde
    SLC, sad but so true.

GAME ON!
    i bet you see a lot, but with other companies' names on them as they are essentially a catalogue company

mtbr member
    They're using FSR frames, they're not run of the mill catalogue stuff.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    i bet you see a lot, but with other companies' names on them as they are essentially a catalogue company
    aside from azonic using the luck 7 frame i dont think so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    They're using FSR frames, they're not run of the mill catalogue stuff.
    Their frames are made by Astro. http://www.astroeng.com.tw/products.asp
    Check out the "ASFRA"

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire
    Their frames are made by Astro. http://www.astroeng.com.tw/products.asp
    Check out the "ASFRA"
    ok but where is the 555 and xc bike? i think the lucky 7 was there only catalogue frame, thats why a couple companies used it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think a really wide ratio cassette with a Hammerschmidt up front would make the Lucky 7 a perfect AM bike for the trails I ride. Big roots and rocks but the climbs are often a little long and a lot steep. One of my fellow riders uses an SC Bullit for AM around here. Does anybody have both as a comparison would be nice. I ride a Prophet that weighs the same as his Bullit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    cause when KHS frame fails the rider DIIIIES!
    I'm kidding, but that line sounds really cool if you're over-caffeinated and scream it in axl rose's voice...

KHS has traditionally been a great player in the XC arena, never huge on the dh circuit though so their frames and indeed their general market segment are on that side of things.
    A lot of their hardtails from the early 90's are still kicking around though, durability is usually high on the scale on their HT's.
    But there were some over-publicized failures of some of their FS DH frames in the late 90's.
    Blame the internet because pinkbike, mtbr, and dropmachine were all relatively new when those frames went kerplunk.
    They got a LOT of bad press for that.

(dominatrax? was that the name of the frame? don't google it from work...)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    I think a really wide ratio cassette with a Hammerschmidt up front would make the Lucky 7 a perfect AM bike for the trails I ride. Big roots and rocks but the climbs are often a little long and a lot steep. One of my fellow riders uses an SC Bullit for AM around here. Does anybody have both as a comparison would be nice. I ride a Prophet that weighs the same as his Bullit.
    probably not. your not getting the lucky 7 up hills unless you have legs of steel. the velvet looks like an interesting bike.