mtbr member

KHS AM1000 rear shock size????

Hi guys,

It's time to upgrade the shock of my 2005 KHS AM1000. I can not figure out the size (eye to eye and stroke) for the shock. I have measured and measured and I come up with different measures.

My shock upgrade do you recommend for this bike?

How about the DHX air or coil? The problem with coil shock is that you have to change the spring depending on what setting I ride it on. 450 at 4", 550 at 5", and 700 at 6". I would like to get an air shock so that is is just a matter of air pressure.

Hiw about the swinger. Please let me know what the measurements are and if you have had any experiences with a different shock than the vanilla R that came with the bike.

I love you guys....
    Sit and spin my ass...

Nothing here
    You had like what, 1 ride on the thing and it's time to upgrade?

Did ju ride dis weekend?

Stray Bullet
    7.5 x 2 is the size. Get any Fox air shock and get it PUSH'ed.

Mine is an 03 that orginally came with a Romic on it. That shock worked awesome for me. Even better after I sent it in and had it custom valved.

Here is mine with a 6.75 x 1.75. Turning it into a 4x bike.

Last edited by Nagaredama; 06-18-2006 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member

Rash

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownrash
    You had like what, 1 ride on the thing and it's time to upgrade?

Did ju ride dis weekend?
    No more like 30 rides.

Happy papi's day.....
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    I have the KHS FR2000 same as the guy above and previously had the Swinger 3 way that came with the frame. This was almost like the AM1500/2000 but with an extra bar that connects with the end part of the upper tube and middle part of the lower tube to the seat post for additional stiffness. It also has a 4-5-6 adjustable travel.

With the Swinger 3 way paired with my old Zoke All Mountain 3, I set the rear travel at 5 inches to balance out the front, and it was a good setup for all mountain riding although my frame was too heavy for just running 5 inches.

Fortunately Manitou replaced the 3 way with a 6 way when the 3 way gave up, because they told me that they don't have a 3 or 4 way at 7.5 eye to eye. The 6 way is a good rear shock for the bike as i can pedal bob free. Also there is no need to replace the spring just in case you need to adjust the travel by just adjusting the SPV pressure and volume of the shock. You can also fine-tune that shock to your liking / riding style / terrain with the low and high speed compression knobs.

I have permanently set it at 6 inches as I can still pedal uphill efficiently even at this amount of travel. I still adjust it when I go xc riding with my Z1FR3 or free ride / dh with my 66 rc2x.