mtbr member

Kenda Excavator and Telonix: Which F/R?

Hope this is an appropriate thread here.

My pal and I have been experimenting with different tires for our Trek 4300 Discs. I started with some Maxxis Crossmarks, and recently upgraded to the Kenda Excavator 2.1 DTC front and rear. For our beloved Western Kentucky Canal Loop, the Excavators proved quite worthy. Recently, my friend bought a single Teloxic DTC he is using on the rear. He really likes the extra traction for steep rooty and rocky climbs. So, I am going to try a Telonix rear and keep the Excavator front. Seems to me I'd want the tire with the most traction (Telonix?) in the rear for those rooty climbs. But I see a lot of folks here running the opposite: Telonix front and Excavator rear. Can someone explain the right way to go? On downhill runs and steep switchbacks, the Excavators are prime for me. Great cornering and lack of skid allow me to save wear on the trail and remain in control (albeit at slower speeds). I am certainly no expert at all when it comes to biking so I appreciate your comments. So I am thinking a Telonix rear for added grip on climbs. ?
    [SIZE="1"]_______
    2009 Trek 4300 Disc
    Thudbuster suspension seat
    Kenda Excavator and Telonix DTC's
    This neat thing that tells speed[/SIZE]

Shred all that can be
    I'm gettin mine wendsdy and putting the telonix up front and exc. in the rear reasons being
    Less rolling resistance in the rear
    wider profile up front (grip)
    more profound side knobs up front (cornering grip.)

The front tire is primarily where you want the most grip so putting the more grippy tire there will help with speed, cornering, overall traction...
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

Shred all that can be
    Think of it this way.. the front washes out your kinda screwed (unless your one of the following, Peaty, Hill, Minnarr, Atherton...)
    The back washes out its like drift city baby!! WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Think of it this way.. the front washes out your kinda screwed (unless your one of the following, Peaty, Hill, Minnarr, Atherton...)
    The back washes out its like drift city baby!! WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!
    I have an uncle who lives in drift city. I'm going to visit him on wendsdy.

People like to run a faster rolling tire in the back because you don't need much tread to climb when your weight is back there properly.

mtbr member
    Hmmm. Interesting. Lately (and I assume it is due to the very dusty conditions prevalent on the trail) my back tire has been washing out. Never had the front do this. I understand the concept of weight shift as it relates to climbing. Got that by the ass. So I figured even more grip in the rear would only help this. I corner so slowly (!) that I don't have a problem with grip up there. Maybe I'll swap them out and try both f/r?
    [SIZE="1"]_______
    2009 Trek 4300 Disc
    Thudbuster suspension seat
    Kenda Excavator and Telonix DTC's
    This neat thing that tells speed[/SIZE]

Shred all that can be
    Hey man it's all really personal prefrence, but do keep in mind proper body position going into turns (I recently just learned that keeping you weight above the center of the bike and leaning the bike over more than you and the bike allows me to turn ridiculously faster.. who would have thought that executing a turn "by the book" would work... Heh.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Telonix in the front and Excavator in the rear. If you've searched you've read my reasoning.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders