mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Kenda Excavator DTC

I'm running an 2.35 Excavator DTC up front on my AC, and I'm fairly pleased with it. Now it's time to replace the Tioga DH I have on the back, and I'm wondering if the Excavator would be a good choice? The bike sees both XC and light FR (urban mostly - up and down stairs, drops up to 3 feet, etc).

Does the Excavator handle FR well, or should I look at something else? I've had problems with pinch flats with Kenda Kinetics in the past on stairs.

Note:

- rider weight about 210 lbs +hydr pack
    - not a fan of running higher pressures (no more than 40 PSI in the back tire)

Thanks for your input.

T.W.O.
    I'm running excavator as a front as well. I've run Nevegal rear good great traction. SB8 2.35 fast grippy tire for hardpack, nothing loose. El Moco, great rear tire fast rolling, and grippy. All three would let you run below 40psi, IMO.

New Kenda is supposed to hit the street now, no? I'm waiting for the Slant6.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Its held up fine for me in the same situations as you describe. I ran the excavator on the back with a telonix up front. I think its a great rear tire.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

T.W.O.
    Love Telonix, doesn't roll fast or light but man, it's like tractor. What bike do you put it on. 2.4?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have 2.35 Excavators DTC front and rear on my Hectik,run them 32-35psi and ride them everywhere,from trails to messing around in town to the local ski hill.Lots of grip and low rolling resistance(compared to the nevegals they replaced).I'm about 210 plus gear and I have pinch flatted once(the front) when I was experimenting with lower air pressure.I like these tires,front and rear,and think it would be a good option.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Love Telonix, doesn't roll fast or light but man, it's like tractor. What bike do you put it on. 2.4?
    My trance last year and my Norco this year. 2.4 dtc and I modded it to gain a whole bunch of benefits and didnt lose any of the tires traits. Love it but its just a tad heavy.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    2.35 maxxis minion DH 60a tires are bomb! Or 2.4 Maxxis Ardent DH are even better with lower weight, low RR, and mean cornering ability!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo
    2.35 maxxis minion DH 60a tires are bomb! Or 2.4 Maxxis Ardent DH are even better with lower weight, low RR, and mean cornering ability!
    I'll probably pass on those. Unless the Maxxis site is incorrect, the Ardent and the Minion are 1100+ grams. I'm trying for the 700 - 800 gram range for my next tire. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer
    I'll probably pass on those. Unless the Maxxis site is incorrect, the Ardent and the Minion are 1100+ grams. I'm trying for the 700 - 800 gram range for my next tire. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

No single ply 2.4 Ardents are 700gs

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ah, now I see my mistake - I was looking in the DH tire section, not the Mountain section.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Or the Advantage, similar size and weight to the Ardent but might be a better rear tire.