Thread: K2 attack HELP

mtbr member
    May 2007

K2 attack HELP

I just purchased an 06 K2 attack 1.0 for next to nothing and I'm wanting to start replacing the junk items.

My problem is that I don't know specifics on what will fit the bike.
    For instance...current crank size and what xt or xtr components will fit?

I've looked around and I see all these choices for derailleurs but how do I find out what will work.

Any help greatly appreciated !!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I couldn't find much info but here is their website with a little info
    http://www.k2bikes.com/products/bike...D=85&year=2006

as for what type of derailleur etc you need maybe you could take some close up pics of certain components and someone else with more knowledge can chime in.

for the front derailleur i think you just need to decide whether you have a top or bottom swing which you should be able to tell by how it looks. and for the rear derailleur I think any long cage derailleur should work.

Sorry I can't be of any more help and someone please correct me if Im wrong.

Hi!!!
    Ya' know there is a K2 forum here on MTBR.

We carry the Attack 1.0 at our store. That thing is a ****ing tank.

mtbr member

Good job! Have fun!

Enjoy upgrading and riding, but don't forget that the ultimate performance of a full-suspension bike is highly dependent on the shocks. The current Attacks use a solid, proven design, but do have a quirk that you should be aware of. It would be a shame if you spent a lot of time and money upgrading all of the other parts, and then ran into this when you went to change the rear shock.

The leverage ratios of the smaller two sizes (SML and MED) are higher than the larger two sizes (LRG and XLG). Since all sizes use the same forged parts and shock dimensions, this means that the shock's stroke on the two smaller sizes must be limited to prevent the seat stay brace from striking the top tube. This is accomplished on the stock shocks for SML and MED by using a thicker bottom out bumper inside the coil spring, and a stiffer spring to counter the increased leverage ratio.

However, if you ever want to upgrade to a different rear shock on one of the smaller two sizes, especially an air shock, then most standard shocks in the 165mm length by 38mm stroke dimensions will allow the rear swingarm to move too far. The max stroke on a SML or MED Attack should be 29mm for proper function. LRG and XLG Attacks should be able to use the standard 165x38 rear shocks just fine, though.

That having been said, you will need a bottom swing/high clamp, top pull front derailleur, in 31.8mm clamp size. The BB shell width is 68mm, and the BB spindle length will depend on the cranks you select.

Many other standard components will work fine, with compatibility answers less model-specific than rear shocks. I would post the same question in the K2 manufacturer's forum, and look at the pictures of other member's Attacks there as well. I suspect that the K2 fans there will have plenty of advice and support for your project.

Good luck,
    The Kid
    T.K. Malone
    SMT Project Leader
    Proudly servicing and supporting BMC Swiss Cycling Technology

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks alot guys. Much appreciated

mtbr member
    May 2007
    [QUOTE=thekid]Enjoy upgrading and riding, but don't forget that the ultimate performance of a full-suspension bike is highly dependent on the shocks. The current Attacks use a solid, proven design, but do have a quirk that you should be aware of. It would be a shame if you spent a lot of time and money upgrading all of the other parts, and then ran into this when you went to change the rear shock.

Well I guess I'll have to deal with this issue...it is a small frame size. But for the 130 bucks I paid for the bike...I think I can make due.

Will this rob alot of performance from the rear suspension as far as XC riding goes?