Thread: K2 Attack 1.0

mtbr member
    May 2010

K2 Attack 1.0

So I just bought this bike today. May have paid too much, but I'm a tall guy and have been looking for a full-suspension bike that fits me for a while with no luck.

I'd like to know what some of you would upgrade on this bike as it looks completely stock and a bit worn.

I'd like to start with sprockets, DR, and rims/tires. I probably will be doing more paved 'trail' riding with the family than anything, but will get out occasionally on some good mountain trails.

I am very new to this sport and have limited knowledge of components, brands, quality etc. I love working on bikes and am not scared to tackle technical changes.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Okay, so I invested in new shifters (SRAM 5.0), new xtr cables and wires, new xt rim set, new riser, handle bars and grips.
    Bike rides great but I will probably be looking for a shock within the next couple of months.

mtbr member
    What fork is on your bike now? If it's still the stock fork, I'd look at replacing the fork with a lighter, better performing model.
    How much did you pay for your Attack?
    Good luck.

tough guy
    what year is it? pics?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here is a pic. As for year, I think it's a 2005, but I'm not sure.

When I bought it, the hubs were garbage, handlebars were bent, and cables were super stiff. I think he was a 'hoser' who didn't know any better. Everything is smooth now and it actually rides nicely. I am in the market for some shocks so anyone looking to sell, let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K2 Attack 1.0-k2-attack-.jpg  

tough guy
    that looks like an 06. that first thing i would replace is the fork. the dart 1 is a piece of junk really. some will argue that a tora is the lowest you want to go, but for basic cross country riding, a dart 3 will work alright. brakes would be the next thing to go. those tektro io can easily be replaced by bb7's and you can use you existing levers, cables, housings, rotors, and adaptors (that is if you can find the calipers separately)

aside from that, and looking like it's a bit small, ride that thing

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What MM of shock should would you recommend. I see them in 80mm or 100mm.

tough guy
    the stock one should be a 100mm so i wouldn't go any less travel than that.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    @khoalie - Thanks! I found a few for $100...seems reasonable.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just give this bike to my son and get myself the FS SJ 29er... I just need to find one in an XXL and I'd be set.

tough guy
    yeah that's around what they go for. if it is a good fit for your son, i'd say do it and find yourself a bike that fits better, both you and your son will appreciate it

re member
    Yeah, if you have to run the seatpost that high to get proper leg extension, then that frame is too small for you.

Be careful in the mean time, running a seat post past the minimum insertion height puts a lot of extra stress on the seat tube area. I see that frame has some gusseting going on there, but I would still be checking frequently for cracks.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a K2 Attack just like that. Here's what I upgraded.
    Rear Shock: Fox RP2
    Fork: Suntour XCM
    Stem: Azonic Force
    Handlebars: not sure but they are straight ones not risers
    that's all i did for now

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I used to work in a shop that sold K2 bikes among other brands and we would continually see Attacks and Lithiums cracking their seat tube gussets. You are a tall guy and thus probably weigh a bit more than average so when you add those two variables to a frame that is prone to cracks you've got a potential issue.

If you do keep the bike make sure to check those gussets regularly.