Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

just went to 50mm stem and...

Would like to know what you think. Coming from 90mm on gt force. Have not gotten the stem yet (in the mail). Will it be too short for the XC portion of AM - I care more about the downhill and jumps/drops (even though I don't go big, 3-4 ft max). I heard if u adjust arm position climbing is almost the same. Your thoughts..thanks!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I think you just just throw it on and then decide if you like it.

Whether it works or not is going to depend on lots of variables- cockpit length vs your body size, your terrain and your skill.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Couple it with a wider bar.

The wider bar/shorty stem combo will pull you back out further, as your arms will be spread more and your torso will have to come lower.

Also, be prepared to change up technique on climbs a bit - keep those elbows low. I have cleaned every techy climb on my 50 that I ever did on my 90.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! +1

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Couple it with a wider bar.

The wider bar/shorty stem combo will pull you back out further, as your arms will be spread more and your torso will have to come lower.

Also, be prepared to change up technique on climbs a bit - keep those elbows low. I have cleaned every techy climb on my 50 that I ever did on my 90.
    Hi Folks,

I added bar ends to this formula and the two solutions provide me with all the climbing prowess required while still keeping the DH bias! IMHO it's the best of both worlds!!

Enjoy yourself...however you choose to get dirty!!!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Technically not a bad idea except chicks won't want to have your baby.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee
    Technically not a bad idea except chicks won't want to have your baby.
    Hey Mr. Pitueee,

Given that Iím ancient, and was never attractive when I was young, that is a foregone conclusion that has nothing to do with bar ends! However, it does free me up to use the best technology, IMHO, to get the job done!!

Old As Dirt...And Proud of It

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

Threading freely...
    Just went from a 90mm to a 50mm stem too. I think you will love it once you adapt your pedaling up hill a bit--getting low and loose.

As CZero said, I've also been able to clear all of the steep stuff I could do with the 90mm without a problem. And where I live there is a lot of climbing. This weekend alone I rode 47 miles that included 17,000 feet of climbing, all on my 50mm stem. No issue.

And now a manuals are so easy, and tight switchbacks much easier to navigate. My back is also much happier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    hrmm....making me regret ordering the 85mm haven stem yesterday...
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Its all about personal preferance. I started mtb'ing on 100mm + stems. I have settled on 65-75mm stems. Personally anything less than 65mm and I felt like I was loosing a bit of mechanical advantage & I do run 30" wide bars. Frame geometry, riding style, personal preferance - lots of variables.

T.W.O.
    Going with shorter stem on AM bike is like getting wider bar it's addictive.

mtbr member
    Personally I think going 90mm to 50mm is a bit far, not crazy, but 60mm-75mm would have been better IMO. Make sure your bar is 680mm plus or it might be too narrow, and could be too twitchy for you, but it does depend on your build and personal taste and style.

Picture Unrelated
    Short stems and wide bars are the way to go. You have it ordered, you might as well give it a try. Before you know it you'll be ditching your clipless pedals and defending how much you love those decisions on internet forums because everyone else hasn't tried it but doesn't like it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

T.W.O
    The thing that is nice about ordering different stems is they are pretty cheap to continually swap out and find a length that fits you best. Much different when trying to find a size bike you like.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    I think you just just throw it on and then decide if you like it.

Whether it works or not is going to depend on lots of variables- cockpit length vs your body size, your terrain and your skill.
    I totally agree with this...so many variables. The bike, how/where you ride,rider physiology, technique, preference, etc., etc.

mtbr member
    Your stem size should be chosen to fit you to your bike. There is a little wiggle room for riding style, but ultimately, stem size is like frame size, or shoe size. You need to pick the size that fits your physical form to your physical bicycle.

Threading freely...
    I'd also add that some of us are on the cusp between too sizes. I'm about 5'11, and that puts me between a M and L SC BLur. Went for the L, which felt a tad big and not that nimble with the 90mm stem. With the 50mm stem it fits like a glove and is responsive.

And I also went back to platforms for a while. That was nice. Everybody should go back to platforms for periods of time at least. Just put my clipless back on this weekend, and much of my platform confidence and smoothness transferred back to the clipless, too. (For instance, I no longer unclip for the trickiest switchbacks. On platforms, I realized I never took my foot off--all in the head.)

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu
    Your stem size should be chosen to fit you to your bike. There is a little wiggle room for riding style, but ultimately, stem size is like frame size, or shoe size. You need to pick the size that fits your physical form to your physical bicycle.
    I don't agree with this way of fitting an mtb, especially an all mountain style. Get the proper size frame and then go with the stem and bar combo to get the handling you want. I won't go over 70mm anymore and I used to ride 120mm and gradually worked my way down to 50-70mm. Fitting with stem length works for road bikes (and mtb that are ridden like road bikes) but once the trail gets steep and or techy the shorter stem aids a great deal in the handling dept. It depends on what you are looking for out of your bike but for me I want an AM bike to get to the top, be good enough on flatter single track and to rip on the DH almost as well as a DH bike. You are not going to get this with a 100mm stem. For me it's 50mm on AM/DH and 70 on XC/SS.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I don't agree with this way of fitting an mtb, especially an all mountain style. Get the proper size frame and then go with the stem and bar combo to get the handling you want. ....
    Well, if you think this is true, you are a total goon. The proper way to fit an mtb is to buy the smallest frame available, and then compensate with a carbon fiber stem.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well, if you think this is true, you are a total goon. The proper way to fit an mtb is to buy the smallest frame available, and then compensate with a carbon fiber stem.
    So is that a redaction with and edge of light-heartedness?

Becuase I am with Travis and Dave Turner and the like. Stem isn't a fit tool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I don't agree with this way of fitting an mtb, especially an all mountain style. Get the proper size frame and then go with the stem and bar combo to get the handling you want. I won't go over 70mm anymore and I used to ride 120mm and gradually worked my way down to 50-70mm. Fitting with stem length works for road bikes (and mtb that are ridden like road bikes) but once the trail gets steep and or techy the shorter stem aids a great deal in the handling dept. It depends on what you are looking for out of your bike but for me I want an AM bike to get to the top, be good enough on flatter single track and to rip on the DH almost as well as a DH bike. You are not going to get this with a 100mm stem. For me it's 50mm on AM/DH and 70 on XC/SS.
    And one more vote for this, spot on.

mtbr member
    Dave Turner??? Never heard of him. But if he is putting anyone on a bike larger than a 14" he is pretty much a crook.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I went from an 85mm to a 50mm a while back. I also had 780mm bars to go with it. My torso angle didnt change much, but climbing with the wide bars made it easier to breath. I did shorten them down to 740, feels just right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    So is that a redaction with and edge of light-heartedness?

Becuase I am with Travis and Dave Turner and the like. Stem isn't a fit tool.

T.W.O.
    Dave Turner??? Never heard of him. But if he is putting anyone on a bike larger than a 14" he is pretty much a crook.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

Dropshot Champ!
    thats a pretty big jump, especially for xc part of am.

if you don't like it, try a 70/75mm

cool thing about stems is you can buy/sell and try a different one and not be out much cash at all.

good luck!

meow meow
    not at all. the size of your stem should be dictated by where and how you ride, not your physical size.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    Depends on what and how you ride. I have 4 Thomson stems that I switch out depending on where and how I am riding on my Reign X. I find myself running 70 and 50 most of the time. 70 if there is more climbing and all mountain. 50 If I am climbing to descend.

mtbr member
    I knew people liked to argue on this board, but I am really blown away this time. Maybe its because I am so new around here?

Hey, by the way, I have a bike with a 23" inch top tube. Is that good for climbing and descending? What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    not at all. the size of your stem should be dictated by where and how you ride, not your physical size.
    Doesn't it get old being wrong all the time?

meow meow
    Doesn't it get old being wrong all the time?
    dave turner (you know who that is right?), as well as me any many other people share the same view. enlighten me how you know more than all of us

mtbr member
    I fail to see how being a tv/cable mogul makes you an expert on bike fit. So you have 3 or 4 basic cable channels named after you, therefore you know everything? Puh-lease! stay away from my bike.

And anyway, I don't care how many people say something, or how loud they say it, if they are wrong. Lets not get started on the things that are totally out there, yet large populations of people will vehemently defend.

And so, let me answer your question with a question, b-kul. I have a bike. It is a nice bike. It fits pretty good, but sometimes I feel a little cramped, and cannot move around the "cockpit" like I want to. Or even need to for the terrain I am encountering. (you do know what a "cockpit" is right? Well, you'll find out when you are older...) So what should I do? Get a longer stem? Or get a longer frame? Wider bars?

I really hope this guy doesn't try to make do with a stem that is too short, and then nose case and smash his face, because he read on this forum that you should never ride aggressively with a 90mm stem. Even if you are comfortable with it.

meow meow
    if thats true it does sound like your frame is a little small. the point you seem to be missing (or simply avoiding because you know you are wrong) is that on a modern mountain bike a stem is not meant to make or break the fit or a bike. but keep spewing your nonsense and overused jokes about carbon fiber, i have nothing better to do than argue right now.

mtbr member
    if thats true it does sound like your frame is a little small. the point you seem to be missing (or simply avoiding because you know you are wrong) is that on a modern mountain bike a stem is not meant to make or break the fit or a bike. but keep spewing your nonsense and overused jokes about carbon fiber, i have nothing better to do than argue right now.
    There is a bald eagle out my window, right now! Probably about 80 yards away! Awesome!

mtbr member
    No kidding, you will argue any we-todd-did point, no matter how b-klu-less you are about it.

Oooohhh!!!

(the eagle is gone).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wow, this is my most controversial post ever! Cool!
    Just read that Ross Schnell runs a 80mm on his Downieville Remedy. That is kind of long considering the current trend. Is the kind of riding @ Downieville more suited to an 80mm versus a 50mm stem? Or is that just Ross?

mtbr member
    Ross Schnell uses that stem size because he doesn't know anything. He thinks its a 50, and never bothered to measure it. If he knew how long his stem actually was, oooh boy, he would be soooo dead!

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by kneetowaist
    Wow, this is my most controversial post ever! Cool!
    Just read that Ross Schnell runs a 80mm on his Downieville Remedy. That is kind of long considering the current trend. Is the kind of riding @ Downieville more suited to an 80mm versus a 50mm stem? Or is that just Ross?

its just ross. its more of a prefrence thing.

mtbr member
    its just ross. its more of a prefrence thing.
    ugh, you are such a tool. Here, read this and learn something.

Perpetual Hack
    Back in the day - 120mm or so.
    In the new century 50 - 70 mm.
    50mm for DH / Play and most normal trail riding.
    70mm for long XC type rides where climbing is more featured.

6'2" @ 210lbs riding a large frame with an EFTT of 24.3"
    Sometimes the bars will be changed to 711mm with the 70mm stem, but I mostly run 760mm bars.

michael

mtbr member
    There is a pretty long thread going right now on 29er that I started about this.

Stubby stems.

I've never run short stems and since short stems have become so popular I am doing an experiment where I just went from 120 to 70 with 610 bars and some 720s on the way.

So far some things seem better with the shorter stem and some things seem worse. We'll see what difference the wider bars make.

I also have a DH frame with a 180 fork built up as an all mountain bike where I ordered a large rather than a med frame to get a longer top tube and installed an inverted 130mm stem to get my 720mm bars out and down for better climbing which worked out really well. Descending is not a problem and now the bike climbs better than any bike I own. If I take it to a DH park I'll get a 200mm dual crown and a direct mount stem for it.

Nothing is written in stone. So far.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

meow meow
    i would imagine a 70mm stem with 610mm bars would be pretty twitchy.

meow meow
    thought this was a good place to say 4k!

mtbr member
    34 posts in one afternoon. Nice job.

edit: at least 34. Did you read the link about Eagles?

What?
    I run a 40mm stem and love it.

meow meow
    34 posts in one afternoon. Nice job.

edit: at least 34. Did you read the link about Eagles?
    when you got a broken back... and thanks for the link, im in the know now

meow meow
    also futo, how did you know i had 34 posts in one afternoon? do you track me on mtbr? how much you care is kinda flattering but also creepy.

mtbr member
    i would imagine a 70mm stem with 610mm bars would be pretty twitchy.
    I talk about it in the other thread but in short where I am at the moment the trails are really twisty and the quicker steering has been a plus. I'm curios to see how the 720s feel. Hope they arrive soon.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    um, sorry about your back, that sucks. Take it easy.

I just noticed your post count, it is underneath your fraggle. I looked at that fraggle a couple of times yesterday seeing as we were having a "debate".

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier
    I talk about it in the other thread but in short where I am at the moment the trails are really twisty and the quicker steering has been a plus. I'm curios to see how the 720s feel. Hope they arrive soon.
    its in the 29er forum? dont really venture over there but it sounds like a cool read and cool test you got going on

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by kneetowaist
    Would like to know what you think. Coming from 90mm on gt force. Have not gotten the stem yet (in the mail). Will it be too short for the XC portion of AM - I care more about the downhill and jumps/drops (even though I don't go big, 3-4 ft max). I heard if u adjust arm position climbing is almost the same. Your thoughts..thanks!
    Yes, it will be too short. No, it will not be too short. I would return it based solely on this post before ever putting it on your bike and trying it.

How about a thread like; Hey All Mountain guys and the one girl who looks kinda like a man lurking! For the following reasons (fit, riding style, everyone in the All Mountain Forum is doing it, etc...) I just swapped over to a 50mm stem from a 90mm, here is my body type, etc.... and this is what I think after riding it for couple of months.

Rather than getting feedback about whether or not you're going to like what your mother's going to cook for dinner before she's even returned home from her job at the DMV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast