mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Just moved to Vancouver- Purchase vs fix old, need advice

Hey guys. I have a 2006 Specialized Hard Rock Pro disc that I bought new and have learned and grown into the sport on. I'm now getting to the point where things are starting to break and wear down, and I have to decide what I want to do.. fix it for another season, or buy another bike.

I want to start doing more north-shore type riding, as I've just moved to the north-shore prime of North America.. My style is extremely technical, I don't want to just bomb things. I love singletrack AM riding. I spend most of my time riding street, skinny ledges, stairs, playing around because I don't have a lot of direct access to mountains.

Now, my current situation. My front fork is starting to seize up. This, on top of new pedals I need, a free hub (the rear hub, I think it is called a free hub) that needs replacing, and shifters that are starting to show signs of age.

I can spend the money now and fix everything up for about ~$230 (apart from the free hub), but then I'm left with a bike that is worth $400, and I just spent $230 on it, and I get laughed at when I tell people I want to take it to whistler/north shore...

My second option is buying another bike (budget: roughly $2g-$2500), and just selling this one as-is in working (but worn) order. I want to get a hardtail (that I can bunnyhop, light enough to ride street), but is also slack enough and tough enough that I can ride downhill or AM with it, or go on longer mountain treks on it.

I'm at a loss here, guys. I don't have much experience with buying bikes, I don't know if it is worth keeping the hard rock running and pour money into an entry-level bike, or if I should just save and buy a new one.

So, TL,DR;

1. Is the Hard Rock past its due date, and would putting money into it be worth it, considering I live in Vancouver and my interests? CAN I suffer through using a Hard Rock riding AM with a bit of DH for a season?

2. What type of bike fits my riding style? Beefy Hard Tail? Medium AM full squish? Can you ride street with a full suspension bike?

Thanks for ANY help guys!

mtbr member
    I'd get a new bike if you have that kind of budget to work with. A Stumpjumper FSR is always a good choice for a full suspension, if you want a hardtail I'd go Transition TransAM 26

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo View Post
    I'd get a new bike if you have that kind of budget to work with...
    On the other hand, Vancouver has a great used bike market. Check out the Pinkbike buy/sell.

I don't know anything about riding street, but assuming you mean something like this (the start anyway). A Bottlerocket or a slopestyle bike might be a good compromise and would be great for Whistler/Northshore, but it's going to be heavier than a hardtail. Realistically, you are better off renting than taking a hardtail to Whistler in my opinion (not that people don't do it), ditto for a Stumpjumper (assuming you hit the lifts).
    Last edited by cerebroside; 02-02-2013 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member
    yeah i was gonna suggest look for a transition double

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If you have have a 2K-2500 budget, I would suggest looking at the feasibility of doing both. If you can spend $200-300 fixing up the Hardrock for a city traveler, you would still have 1700-2200 for a AM worthy HT or a used full suspension that would handle the mountain riding you want to step up to - particularly if the used market is good.