mtbr member
    May 2012

Is it just me, or do Mt Bikes weigh a lot more now?

Until last summer when I bought my kid a Giant Full suspension, I bought my last 2 bikes 10 years ago. Got a Trek Fuel & a Rocky Mountain, both are pretty light. The Rocky Mt is very light & is a All Mountain bike. I was testing out some bikes this past weekend at the LBS & they all seemed much heavier to me. I thought my kids bike was heavy, but just figured it was due to not being one of the top end bikes. All the bikes I gave a go this weekend were on the heavier side. Is this the trend as of late OR is it just me?

mtbr member
    Have you actually weighed them and your bike on the same scale? It may be that longer travel has added some weight, but I'm not sure I've seen this trend.

perpetual pucker factor
    They have gained a bit of weight, but they are generally much stronger, more capable bikes today. But if you look at downhill, you will see that they went from50ish lbs to 35. They have lost a TON of weight, and are also stronger than ever.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    My first 150mm bike weighed over 40lbs, my current Cotic weighs about 32lbs with dual ply tyres. In general weight for a given travel has gone down, especially relative to the huck era.

There is a limit though, tough six inch-ish mtbs have hovered around 30lbs for seemingly forever now, lighter ones are either super spendy, fragile or both...

mtbr member
    in 2003 6" of travel was freeride/downhill territory, and a typical "all mountain" bike had 4. Disc brakes weren't standard equipment on many bikes and 3x9 gearing was cutting edge. quick release wheels and 32mm stanchions were all that was available, 2.1" tubed tires on 19mm rims, 69degrees was a slack head angle... In other words, what you might call cross country (aka modified road bike) today.

Yeah, I'd guess the average weight of what we might call all mountain bike is a bit higher than it was then, but it's a zillion times more capable, and only 2-3#heavier.

If you want to weight weenie, just ride road bikes. Or do what the ww forum does: spend a fortune building bikes, hang them on a scale, but never, ever ride them and prove that they aren't really trail worthy.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtbiker View Post
    Until last summer when I bought my kid a Giant Full suspension, I bought my last 2 bikes 10 years ago. Got a Trek Fuel & a Rocky Mountain, both are pretty light. The Rocky Mt is very light & is a All Mountain bike. I was testing out some bikes this past weekend at the LBS & they all seemed much heavier to me. I thought my kids bike was heavy, but just figured it was due to not being one of the top end bikes. All the bikes I gave a go this weekend were on the heavier side. Is this the trend as of late OR is it just me?
    My 1983 Univega in XC race trim weighed 32.5 pounds. Rigid, 18-sp, 1.75" tires.

New bikes are more complicated and weigh less.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

What it could be is that bikes in the same price range as you paid 10 years ago are now heavier. It seems like you have to pay nearly double now for a high end spec bike than you did then. So for apples to apples comparison you might need to go pick up the bike that's 1-2k more than your last bike.

mtbr member
    IMHO, the "average" rider is riding on a bike with lots more travel, bigger tires, possibly bigger wheels, and more gizmos (like dropper posts) than a decade ago. So they are heavier. They're also probably more capable bikes.

I'm riding a bike that's 4lbs heavier than what I was riding 10 yrs ago. And 5-6lbs heavier than what i was on prior to that.

mtbr member
    Do you mean the old standing perpendicular to the bike and picking it up?
    That to me is about as relevant as standover...

The new weight is typically in all the right places.
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Compared to my first 6" bike, 10 years ago, I lost like 6kg and gained a much more versatile ride. Tire dimensions, disk size, travel (obviously) stayed the same.
    Compared to the bike I had 15 years ago, which weighed more or less the same as my current bike, I gained rear travel, around 4" on the front alone, disk brakes, wider tires and so much more comfort.

The price part is hard to judge as many other things also changed dramatically.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    frame tubing got girthier, rims got wider as with tires, forks got much longer, thicker and stiffer, axles got thicker,bars got wider, stems thicker. there was a huge movement to reducing any feeling of flex. all mountain of new in some cases more capable than downhill of old. everything got pricer. frames are all hydroformed. no longer welded round tubing.