mtbr member

Just how big can I go?

First, here's a pic of my bike in its current state...

Its an '03 (I think, got it used) K2 zed 1.0 that I've been slowly upgrading, usually as stuff broke or wore out. For my first performance-only upgrade, I decided to go for disc brakes, and have some Avid BB7s coming next week. 160mm rear rotor, 185 up front. Of course that required new hubs, so I just upgraded the whole wheelset and picked up some Sun Rhyno Lites laced to XT hubs. The cheezy plastic pedals are gonna go sometime soon too, probably going to pick up some alloy platforms when I go get my brakes. The frame seems to be pretty good, It takes everything I can dish out without even flinching, so I'm thinking new forks will be next on the list. I'm wondering just how big I can go for travel? I think right now I've got 80mm, but I want to step up to 120 or so depending on what will fit without making the geometry all wrong. What should I look for in a bigger/better fork? I'm about 220lbs right now, but will probably get back down to 195-200 when I get to ride more again. The local trails have a fair amount of roots, and a few rocks and small drops, but a lot of guys seem to ride them with little or even no suspension. I just want something that will take anything I can throw it down without losing any teeth.

Also, anybody know how wide of a tire I can fit in the frame without having to actually try some and see? I've got IRC PiranhaPro 2.1s on now, and when these finally wear out, I want to go a little bigger there too.
    Josh

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would not spend to much money on that bike. Honestly I would upgrade to a newer bike if possible, you would spend a little bit more but get something so much better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Also with that frame design you could only go with a 80 to 100 mm of travel. Which would be horrible for an all mountain bike.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 9422re
    Also with that frame design you could only go with a 80 to 100 mm of travel. Which would be horrible for an all mountain bike.
    Yeah, what he said. Use that bike to learn all your fundamentals and save your money for a nicer bike if you really get bit by the bug. Someday you can pass the old bike on to get somebody else hooked on the sport or keep it as a spare for friends or convert to singlespeed for a different experience or ....

Just saying, you can't put too much of a fork on that bike and that is an expensive upgrade to do right.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Yeah I was kinda figuring I'd keep this for a while and learn how to ride it before I spend big bucks on a new bike. I really want about a 5-6 inch f/s bike, but if I can learn to ride everything on this, then the nicer bike should be much easier to ride. By the time I get good on this, I should have plenty saved for a better ride. Even after the upgrade, I'll probably keep this one and slap on some street tires for a commuter/pavement pounder/training bike and hide the other away for trail use only.
    Josh

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
    - Albert Einstein