mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Just getting back into riding. Can use some help..

It's been about 10 years since I last rode and I'm trying to find a ride, but there are so many choices. Im looking for something that I can climb with (not trying to race up, just need to get up) and have fun on descents. Wanna take some jumps and drops (around 5 feet or so). So far I'm between the 2011 stumpy evo and pivot mach 5.7. Any feedback on these would be great or any other suggestions. Thanks.

b a n n e d
    No idea what your budget is so I'd suggest also looking at the Santa Cruz Blur or Nomad, or the Ibis Mojo.

My Blur climbs very well and soaks up the hits on the way down, though I'm not taking 5' drops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Budget is $3500 - $4000. Maybe I can go a little more. I'll look into the one's you suggested. Thanks!

perpetual pucker factor
    With a budget like that, I'd go for a carbon Nomad. Sexy beast of a bike, and it can take more beatings than I did in elementary school (that's a lot).
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeezy
    Budget is $3500 - $4000. Maybe I can go a little more. I'll look into the one's you suggested. Thanks!
    In that case, just walk away from Specialized (and Trek). Stick with Santa Cruz or Ibis, and I'd go for the Carbon Nomad or the Ibis Mojo HD. Both should be able to handle the 5' drops with ease.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    it can take more beatings than I did in elementary school (that's a lot).
    That is some funny ****.

mtbr member
    ibis mojo HD. You need something beefy to survive 5 footers. the carbon frame will help keep the weight down. the DWlink makes it an excellent climber. the carbon specialized enduro, as well as a pivot firebird would work, but need more budjet. also look at offerings from transition, and Norco. best-o-luck
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

No longer a hardtailkid.

"Los liiiinks!!!!"

If you want to be hitting 5' drops, you are going to need either bulletproof knees, or a bike with 140-160mm of travel. I'd bet you would settle with the latter.

I read this thread yesterday and decided to do some link-hunting, and I came up with these. I will edit this post occasionally and add another link if I find something. I will find you a bunch of bikes and try to keep the price under $4000. That is enough money to get an incredible bike.

Just looked at Transitions web site...check out the Covert. http://transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Covert.cfm

Also check out the Mongoose Teocali Mega... http://www.mongoose.com/usa/usaeng/m...L-Teocali-Mega

Some of that Banshee Rune. http://www.bansheebikes.com/rune.html

You got that Yeti 575 on Jenson USA for $2900. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...o+Bike+11.aspx

This Tomac looks incredibly sexy, but I don't see any pricing information on their site. Here is the link to the Tomac Vanish 160 frame. http://www.tomac.com/bikes.php?year=...l=vanish-160#4

These Tomac bikes are just soo sexy http://www.tomac.com/bikes.php?year=...del=snyper-140

Check out this Kona. You can change the travel to 100mm to 160mm once you reach to top of the mountain and are ready to rip the descent http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=abra_cadabra

Here is the cheaper alternative ($2999 compared to $4099) to the Abra Cadabra. http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=cadabra

In my humble opinion, the colors are U-G-L-Y. But the lines are sexy. Watch a Scott promo video on the Genius line, and you'll be impressed. You also have the ability to change the travel (from 95mm to 150mm) with the click of a remote. This link is for a Genius 30. http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/pr...9/55551/217957

I've always wanted a lime green bike...You don't have turnkey travel adjustment with this one, but you have 150mm, so it is pretty nice. GT doesn't put their prices on their website, so this may be a bit (sarcastic...) over $4000, but hey. http://www.gtbicycles.com/bikes/moun...t-bright-green
    Last edited by hardtailkid; 11-28-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Los Links!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

perpetual pucker factor
    I'd personally stay away from Kona's magic link system. The adjustable travel thing is not what most think it is when they hear 'adjustable travel.' It's more like 'kinda adjustable travel.' The magic link system also introduces a MASSIVE amount of lateral flex in the bike. It's super easy to feel the back end wandering around when pounding through rock gardens, and the rear end likes to try to climb up corners when pressed. Most definitely not what you want it to do.

Go with something that has either VPP, Maestro or DW Link suspension in the rear, and you'll be glad you did.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Be sure to check out Knolly. Depending on how much travel you think you need, you can't go wrong with the Endorphin, Chilcotin, or the Delirium.

mtbr member
    put a coil on it. CCDB if the linkage and ratio works out. it's worth the $$$. 5ft drops need traction before the lip. all the $$$ on drivetrain and other goodies won't matter if there's no grip.

mtbr member
    Transition, Banshee, Kona in that order for me. Build your own that way you wont end with a bucket of parts.

usually cranky
    sorry to thread jack but does the knolly 4x4 linkage offer any benefits over a horst link or is it just a clever way to get around specilizeds patent?

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    I'd personally stay away from Kona's magic link system. The adjustable travel thing is not what most think it is when they hear 'adjustable travel.' It's more like 'kinda adjustable travel.' The magic link system also introduces a MASSIVE amount of lateral flex in the bike. It's super easy to feel the back end wandering around when pounding through rock gardens, and the rear end likes to try to climb up corners when pressed. Most definitely not what you want it to do.

Go with something that has either VPP, Maestro or DW Link suspension in the rear, and you'll be glad you did.
    Good to know that about the Kona.

+1 about the Maestro and DW link. I hear more good things about them than any other suspension design in use today. I have heard that the VPP has minor pedal bob, but not that bad.

Huffy Rider
    Giant Reign 0, $$ left over for upgrades or gear. Great climber, great descender, doesn't weigh a ton, looks good. Reign XO if you wanna do 6ft drops!

Brenda

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Oh wow. I just realized I didn't put any links for Giant. Way to go me...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    I have heard that the VPP has minor pedal bob, but not that bad.
    My Blur has virtually zero pedal bob unless I'm standing and seriously grinding. With platform damping . . . nada.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I really appreciate everyone's input. You've opened my eyes to a new world of rides (dang, I have been out too long.) So, I've narrowed down my choices to a mojo hd, reign xo, and a nomad. Don't know if I have time to demo all, but hopefully I'll get to try at least two of my choices before droppin' that much $$. Don't wanna have buyers regret. OH, I'll be doin most of my ridin around the Bay Area, CA - Pacifica, Santa Cruz, maybe a trip or two a year up to Tahoe.... Thanks!!
    Last edited by aldeezy; 11-30-2010 at 02:30 PM.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    They demo a large and a medium Santa Cruz Nomad, and are in Santa Cruz, CA... http://helenscycles.com/

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeezy
    I really appreciate everyone's input. You've opened my eyes to a new world of rides (dang, I have been out too long.) So, I've narrowed down my choices to a mojo hd, reign xo, and a nomad. Don't know if I have time to demo all, but hopefully I'll get to try at least two of my choices before droppin' that much $$. Don't wanna have buyers regret. OH, I'll be doin most of my ridin around the Bay Area, CA - Pacifica, Santa Cruz, maybe a trip or two a year up to Tahoe.... Thanks!!
    With those three as your options, you really can't go wrong. Seriously . . . go with whatever feels right.