pagbilao quezon

just curious on ELLSWORTH

as im looking around ELLSWORTH is one of the most expensive frames, but why?? frame only for 2 grand?? nothing titanium or carbon here right?
    FEAR IS YOUR ONLY GOD!!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    There are lots of pricey aluminium frames- just keep looking. Santa Cruz, Intense, Yeti, etc.

I railed it like Kong
    They are really light well made frames. Really well made frames.

...and Tony needs to make the boat payment.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The frames are butted (for lightweight) shot peened (for hard dent resistent surface), and anodized (scratch resistent). All of that work cost money. They are good bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

My two cents.

I'm sure someone will jump on and talk crap about the company, etc. but I have put my Moment through the trenches using it as a trailbike, a jumper at times, raced it in a few downhill races, dome some decent drops, etc and it is still going strong.

The frames are very well made and pedal extremely well. I can't vouch for other people's issues, but I love my Ellsworth.

over 50 years of cycling
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pork Chop Express
    I'm sure someone will jump on and talk crap about the company, etc. but I have put my Moment through the trenches using it as a trailbike, a jumper at times, raced it in a few downhill races, dome some decent drops, etc and it is still going strong.

The frames are very well made and pedal extremely well. I can't vouch for other people's issues, but I love my Ellsworth.
    AND they are darn purty.

How has this thread been here so long without all the Ellsworth Bashers jump in? Is there a good Turner thread going on their forum or something?

Actually the Ellsworth frame is not THAT much pricier than a bunch of frames out there right now. To each his own and be glad for the competition and varied tastes or else they would be twice again as expensive.

Plus do you really want the type of folks that gravitate to Turners to be giving Ellsworth a bad name too?

Ok, that should get this thread cooking...
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zackde
    as im looking around ELLSWORTH is one of the most expensive frames, but why?? frame only for 2 grand?? nothing titanium or carbon here right?
    Like people have commented, nobody is saying Ellsworth are cheap frames by any means, but neither are they way out there on price compared to other quality makes.

I have a Moment and happen to think its great, its got a few scrapes and dings from two years use, but its still tight and true, still on the same bearings (not had to replace the shock bushings often either) , and its proven to me that it is quality. One thing to note is that this bike is absolutely silent- not a sqeek or even the slightest hint of a noise from the pivots and thats with being used in the crappy UK climate and having the cack hosed off it twice a week. It's a tough bike- whilst not being overbuilt, great to ride and i've had a lot of fun on mine.

Back to your question though and a comparison on price, admittedly in the UK, but it proves the point.

Moment with Float R 1000 Nomad with Float R 1700

Moment with DHX coil 1375 Nomad with DHX coil 1820

Moment with DHX air 1200 Nomad with DHX air 1890

The Moment is anodised (atleast the '06 these prices refer to are ), so i've added the 150 upcharge for the Nomad on. I paid a lot more than these prices for my Moment, but i bought as soon as they were available and not when they are clearing out for a new model.

Atleast it proves one thing though, those Nomads are 'kin expensive.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMBOLAYA
    The frames are butted (for lightweight) shot peened (for hard dent resistent surface), and anodized (scratch resistent). All of that work cost money. They are good bikes.
    They are not dent resistent. Mine dented from a rake handle that slid into it. Mine has rock chips and cable rub. The shoot peen down the seat tube has totally scratched the $hit out of my thomson post. And they are not that great of bikes. There are many others that are cheaper, perform better, and better made.

My moment will be my last ellsworth for a long time. Maybe forever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Well, which one is it?

Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    They are not dent resistent. Mine dented from a rake handle that slid into it. Mine has rock chips and cable rub. The shoot peen down the seat tube has totally scratched the $hit out of my thomson post. And they are not that great of bikes. There are many others that are cheaper, perform better, and better made.

My moment will be my last ellsworth for a long time. Maybe forever.

That's funny. In the ellsworth forum you have a post to find a price for your moment frame. Your post says "It's still a nice frame and could provide somone with quite a few good years of riding." Well, which is it... nice frame or not that great?

thats right living legend
    That's funny. In the ellsworth forum you have a post to find a price for your moment frame. Your post says "It's still a nice frame and could provide somone with quite a few good years of riding." Well, which is it... nice frame or not that great?

He said it wasn't great... He didn't sat it wasn't nice.

over 50 years of cycling
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    They are not dent resistent.
    .......My moment will be my last ellsworth for a long time. Maybe forever.
    I think the Walmart bikes are pretty much dent resistant. It takes that kind of weight to get that property if thats your main priority.

I figure different people have different priority in their bikes, which is why there are so many variations out there. I personally don't give a rats ass what anything thinks about my Ellsworth, as long as it makes me grin every time I ride it.

Good luck on finding a bike that makes YOU grin. I hope you find it.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member
    An ephiphany would be all the bike I'd ever need.

I rode a truth and it was the best f/s bike I'd ever ridden. converted me from a completely ss mentality and now I'm building up an old truth frame. plan on buying a new one when I can get the cash.

turners are knock offs aren't they?
    My one says BRAP!

over 50 years of cycling

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by plume
    oooohhhh..... now you've gone and done it......

Turners are the perfect bike for Turner People. Thats all that counts.....
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

"Its All Good"
    The thread goes down in a Plume of shiat..... This whole thing with Ellsworth is getting expensive...

Look at it this way, an Ellsworth, Turner, Intense, Ventana etc are way cheap compared to some of the Specialized bikes out there now.... Nobody seems to realise that Specialized has crept up and past most of the above mentioned.... Now thats a crock worth talking about, more than these ............... trying to stir the porridge....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    He said it wasn't great... He didn't sat it wasn't nice.

I have a Truth and think it's great and nice. I have had no problems. It's light, fast, plush. It may not be bombproof, but no bike is. It sure would suck to drop a boat load of cash an a bike (ellsworth or other) and have it not work out. But these are off road bikes. There is always a chance that you will trash it on any ride. Timberrr has a point, you give up frame durability when you get a lightweight bike. Buy wisely.

mtbr member
    I have an Ellsworth Joker XC that my buddy wants to buy. He can have it when he prys it from my cold dead fingers.

VooDoo user.
    Guess I need to clear up what I said.

It's still a NICE Ellsworth frame ( my frame) if someone is in to that whole thing. It's everything Tony Ellsworth says it is. And yes I've enjoyed my time on it. BUT there are a lot more bikes out there that offer better performance at a way more resonable price. ( ie. Turner rfx, Santa cruz nomad, and Chumba evo) The Moment is $300+ more than the Santa cruz or the Turner and I think it's nearly $700 more then the Chumba. How does someone justify such a price?

If the pricing on the Ellsworths were a lot more reasonable it would be easier to accept the flaws but when you shell out some serious cake for a bike frame that isn't nearly perfect it just Pi$$e$ ya off.
    Last edited by TIMBERRR; 06-17-2007 at 09:13 PM.

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Trail
    I think the Walmart bikes are pretty much dent resistant. It takes that kind of weight to get that property if thats your main priority.

I figure different people have different priority in their bikes, which is why there are so many variations out there. I personally don't give a rats ass what anything thinks about my Ellsworth, as long as it makes me grin every time I ride it.

Good luck on finding a bike that makes YOU grin. I hope you find it.
    I've got my eye on a couple frames.

I should never say never in reguards to purchasing another Ellsworth. Hell maybe Ellsworth will become more cost competative in the future or maybe they will offer something that truely justifies the chunky pricetag.

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    Cannondale headshoks are pogosticks aren't they?

Praise Bob

Gotta Shop Around

I bought my '05 Moment in the middle of last year and the shop threw in an XT crankset and King headset. I paid $1800 with shipping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I agree. You gotta shop around. You can get good deals on last year's model which isn't much different from the new ones.

When I was shopping for a bike 2 years ago, I was dead set on a Turner 5 spot, even if I was between sizes. The turner cost $1900. I stumbled on a clearance on a new 04 Moment frame for $1500 (and the perfect size) and it was a no brainer. My friend has an 04 Turner spot and I much prefer the ride of my Moment.