mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Just born newb! Any Sugg.?

Hey Y'all! brand new to MTB, Just bought my first MTB today and would like a little advice. Found this 2012 Fuji Nevada 6.0 on C-list for 160$ ! Never ridden! One- I couldnt find any reviews on this model so I was wondering if anyone has heard of it yet and if its easily upgradeable? im not doing any crazy downhill but i would like to go on some trails w/ it. I would like to switch out the front rigid forks to some descent but not expensive suspension, and two- i would like to take the neck up a little bit. Thats all for now, maybe tweek a little later when i get my feet wet, Any suggestions on 100$ susp. forks or am i dreamin? and also is there a recomended site that could show me some basics on making some adjustments to the neck and other minor things? since i bought it used i have no manual. Any advice is really appreciated, Thanks.
    Just born newb! Any Sugg.?-mtb-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I hear ya on just ridin the piss outa the thing, but the front suspension upgrade is more of a medical neccessity due to both wrist are shot from injury where just a liesure cruise can be a pain in the ass, my thinking is a little give in the bars would maybe let me hit some light trails w/o killin my wrist, im not getiin a ton of air or jumpen boulders, dont want a ton of travel, just enough to take a little of the jolt out so i can enjoy the ride. i dont want 300 forks on a 160$ bike though if you know what i mean.

LightJunction.com
    You can probably find a used suspension fork in the classifieds to suit your price. I'd go with something simple. Coil spring, no external adjustments. Just something that will take the edge off.

As for your "neck", I'm assuming you're talking about the stem. You can find a stem riser at a bike shop which would raise the handlebars up between 1 1/2" - 3". Many times when you do this, you also have to get longer front cable housings and new cables. With parts and labor, you could be looking at spending upwards of $60 for that.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

just donated first mistake to wife!

Thanks for all the advice!! Much appreciated!! Hate to tell you this but I jsut showed this bike to my friend who is an avid MTB and although he said this bike is a good starter its to small for me its only 17"--- 22.5" Im 5'11" so need a bit bigger bike I guess? Works out though because i was also looking for a bike for my wife and it fits her pretty good w/ the seat all the way down and now no need for handle bar and fork tweeking! But now I have another question>>>>... As luck would have it, I live in a college town that alot of say.. well to do kids attend, I found this little pawn shop that the kids sell their mid to high end bikes at for weekend beer money!!! and never come get them back!! Long story short there is a Cannondale M500, Norco Mountaineer, Specialized Rockhopper and a stumpjumper and a diamondback. All rigid backs w/ front susp. all under 200.00 bucks. all next to knew! We live in the lowcountry coast so the bike of choice is a beach cruiser so none of these bikes are beat! Which one of these would be a better choice? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hard to say without knowing how old the bikes are, it should be between the stumpjumper and the cannondale, Does the m500 have a fork suspension or the headshok? If so it should be a pretty good bike. But if the stumpjumper is post 2002 or so go with the stumpy, the rockhopper is a good bike too, just depends on the year. Go with the newest and best fitting of the specialized and cannondales.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Keep riding and learn to tune and adjust your bike - every bit of it.

mtbr member
    you might want to adjust your seat. unless youre riding DH, most ride like this.. flat on top

as far as height goes, i find this trick works pretty good. put on whatever shoes youll ride in. , and put your bike up against a wall. get on it and put your heels on the pedals. raise the seat or lower it so your legs just straighten out when you pedal backwards.

2010 GT Avalanche Expert