mtbr member
    Mar 2007

jumping an all mountain bike (fat possum)

hey I was wondering does anyone hit any jumps with there all mountain bike?
    anyone on a fat possum and jumping with it?
    below is mine new bike, and im craving some jumps and drops and I wanted to make sure that I would be ok and I wont mess anything up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    "Hit jumps" is a bit general.

It depends on the smoothness of the rider as to if the bike survives jumps or not.

Land like a sack and the bike will be killed, land smooth and it'll be fine.

What are you looking at?
    Look for stuff with smooth transitions and you should be fine. If you do rougher stuff you might just have to accept the fact that wheels and such will need replacing...
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    I ride my blurLT2 at northstar and will hit any jump there including any of the bigline options on livewire. I also won my expert class at the livewire classic. And I have jumped the big pack in the dirtjump park at N* also.

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    yes it'll be ok bikes were made to jump an yes... eventually your wheels an tires will have to get replaced
    thats riding for ya

*Contents Under Pressure
    go watch NWD9 and you will see a trek remedy being FR hucked.. im sure ur possum would be up to some airtime..
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

eBiker
    Jumps will be good on that bike. Drops to flat are what puts bikes under lots of pressure.

P

What are you looking at?

Not quite the same...

Quote Originally Posted by hotfeat1227
    go watch NWD9 and you will see a trek remedy being FR hucked.. im sure ur possum would be up to some airtime..
    But isn't that the prototype slopestyle remedy?
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    "Hit jumps" is a bit general.

It depends on the smoothness of the rider as to if the bike survives jumps or not.

Land like a sack and the bike will be killed, land smooth and it'll be fine.
    What driver bob said.

I feel ok hitting anything decent sized gaps and drops on my AM bike, but I'm usually hitting those trannys clean before the time I try them on my 6" x 6". If I cased those a time or two on my AM bike with a poorly valved shock..............well........ummm............... nevermind.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by R1D3R
    But isn't that the prototype slopestyle remedy?
    The Slopestyle Remedy that Cam McCaul rides is very different. His ride has no ABP or Full floater. It's 100% custom.

As for Greg Watt's ride it's a hybrid of sorts. At Crankworx he was riding a KingFisher front end with a Fat Possum rear end. Also a custom bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    My "all mountian" bike is a Mountian Cycle Rumble, which is more or less a dirt jumping hardtail that happens to be fairly light and have a not-so-slack head angle. So yeah, I jump it with glee, though only on urban gap jumps and trail stuff- I don't have the skills for dirt jumping, and my 2000 vintage z1mcr isn't up to the task, even with heavy springs and thick oil.
    It handles drops to flats pretty well, to. Sun Mammoth BFG rim in the back is heavy, but worth it for that stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You'll be fine. That frame will be OK.

Drops to flat = angry bike.

If you bought it at a shop, have them tension the wheels to make sure they won't taco on you. Otherwise, I would go knobbier on the rubber, that is all.

Take a camera and post some pics.