mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New question here. Joplin (Maverick Speedball) issue - loss of travel

Hi
    Has anyone experienced a Joplin losing 1-2cm of it's travel when (& only when) fully extended, as you sit on it? Mine is now doing this, but it is 4 years old. I can't recall the air-pressure I was supposed to put in it either now - I recently checked it & since then I've had this issue.
    Perhaps I've lost too much of the oil from the air chamber after connecting/disconnecting the shock-pump?
    Any thoughts?

74 & 29 pilot
    Yeah,

Call Tech Support at CBs (949)464-9916. They are really friendly and helpful! They will tell you the #s and email you any thing that will help, such as videos and manuals.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Biking Like Crazy!
    It's wearing out. Ride it until it losses more travel and you can't stand it.
    CB can't fix the older Speedball as they were desighed by Maverick and the newer Joplins are different (better?) internally.
    CB has/had a trade-in program for their older post. For $150 you got a J-4 post
    Don't know if that applies to the Speedball.

BTW getting 4 years out of the Speedball is really good!
    Last edited by blcman; 07-24-2011 at 05:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Yeah,

Call Tech Support at CBs (949)464-9916. They are really friendly and helpful! They will tell you the #s and email you any thing that will help, such as videos and manuals.

MTBP
    I might have to find a Tech Support over here in Australia then.

I'm not convinced that it's simply worn out either, as it was perfectly fine until I touched the air-pressure.

Thanks

Biking Like Crazy!
    PSI should be about 70psi...but that is ONLY for the return action of the seatpost and not to hold it up.
    These things have seal, lock-out, etc just like a fork and hence need to be serviced and rebuilt from time to time.
    CB doesn't service the Speedballs....hence it IS wearing out and can't be rebuilt!
    You maybe add oil tho to see if that works..nothing to lose!
    Last edited by blcman; 07-25-2011 at 03:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    4 yrs old speedball is impressive, mine broken the first time I bring it to a hill. After just 8 mins of quite gentle downhill track, the oil spilled everywhere..........

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I contacted the Australian importer for Crank Brothers (JetBlack) & spoke with the service tech'. Fortunately the Speedball is basically identical to the Joplin 3 & he thought it was probably just the older style seal at the top of the post that needed replacing; so I sent it to them & it has been confirmed & fixed (very cheaply too).

Apparently Crank Brothers have a newer & better designed top seal, which they even wanted retro-fitted to existing Joplin stock.

Anyway these seals do obviously wear out (& I do ride every weekend), and especially so in areas with sand & muddy conditions - mine has probably lasted so long because of the dry dusty conditions I usually face.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Good to hear! You got cheap this time!