View Poll Results: Are 3 inches worth it in an adjustable seatpost?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 50.00%
  • No

2 50.00%
    rebmem rbtm

Joplin 3: is 3 in. of travel worth it??

Hi guys, i might get a pretty decent built in a freshly rebuilt Joplin 3.
    The thing is that i donīt know if it will be worth it or should i wait until something with more travel comes up at a good price.
    I know Joplins donīt get the best reviews, but anyway, will 3in. of travel make a difference, for example, when going downhill?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    This will be highly dependent on terrain and rider. Our opinions are going to be largely irrelevant.

You could quite easily test this out for your own riding style and riding conditions by dropping your seatpost a max of 3" in your steepest downhill runs and deciding if you're happy with it.

Personally, I'd stick with my 4" drop post.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

rebmem rbtm
    I know it depends on the terrain and the rider, but iīd like to know the oppinions of guys who have actually used these seatposts and have more info based on experience than i do.

Iīm 5`11" and my bike is a GT Avalanche size "M" (17.9").

No known cure
    I bought a used GD Classic post several years ago. It had a 5" drop which was too much for Super D racing. I just couldn't pedal aggressively while seated. I sent it in for a rebuild and had it set up for a 3" drop which turned out to be perfect...for racing. I rarely use it for trail riding, unless the terrain is really steep, and I remember I have a drop post. I've been riding so long without a drop post, that I'm fine with my chest on the saddle negotiating steep terrain.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i am 6' riding a L enduro with a command post that drops 4". with the post set at my climbing height it is at the "minimum insertion" i cant wait to get a new command post with 5" of drop, and i am only an inch taller than you. peoples bodies even with the same overall height can very vastly and not all require the same accommodations.

like womble suggested, go ride your trails and drop your post 3" and see how it works out for you,
    thats the only way you are gonna know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juancho142 View Post
    Hi guys, i might get a pretty decent built in a freshly rebuilt Joplin 3.
    The thing is that i donīt know if it will be worth it or should i wait until something with more travel comes up at a good price.
    I know Joplins donīt get the best reviews, but anyway, will 3in. of travel make a difference, for example, when going downhill?
    No, 6" or bust, but I can make a 5" post work for me if I have to, like what I am doing know currently on my trusty, wiggly 5" GD Classic while my 6" KS was just sent back to be repaired AGAIN (five times in just over five months now)

No, like others said, it is all what works best for you and meets your sizing needs the most. I think 3-4" may be prefered on most XC/trail bikes or for riders with shorter legs and where the bikes are bit steeper as compared to slacker bikes that may benefit from 5-6" posts to compensate more during the climbs due to getting you up and over the bike more in the extended position. My main trail/AM/lite FR bike (whatever you want to call it) is fairly slack at just under 66* front and 71* rear and a 6"/150mm post works good for me for climb/descents on a 18" ST bike at 5'11". I actually would be fine and about ideal running an 160mm post, cause I lke at least a 6"-6.25" drop when going from climb to attack position on descents and flats (out of the saddle sprinting or cruising). But that's just me, different for everyone.

It's all personal preference and rider's needs really.
    Ride On!