Kneel Before Your Master

Jekyll 600 disc vs. Super v800

Hey guys. I am not limited to these 2 bikes but they are ones I am interested in. I ride mostly singletrack trails that include uphills, downhills, roots and rocks. My last bike was a Stumpjumper Hardtail and it beat the hell out of me on the trails. It was just too stiff. Anyways please let me know what you thin of the following two bikes. I am leaning towards the newer Jekyll.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/bik/186516201.html

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

Kneel Before Your Master
    The price on the jekyll is firm and I could probably talk the cannondale down to $550 or so. I will be riding about once a week during the fall,winter, and spring and less during the way too hot summer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    There is a big "jekyll cult" out there. It was a well loved bike. The Super V is an okay bike, but a little outdated. I had one and I noticed that it bobbed excessively when pedaling seated or standing.

Look in to a Jamis Dakar XC. Much better, more active, not much bobbing, and you can pick them up really cheap.

Kneel Before Your Master
    Okay, thanks for the opinion and advice. I will look into finding a Jamis. Any others have opinions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Jekyll 600 disc

The Jekylll 600 disc was my first suspension bike, also my first dic brakes. I got it hmm about 2003. The BB5 is good, the bike itself is heavy (for me) about 30 # +. The tire that it came with (Hutchinson) not ideal for all mountain. The trail that I go to has a lot of roots and rocks. So I would say the Jekyll did serve me well. I did change the tires to kinetics 2.35. However I noticed that it slowed the bike more. I do notice now that when I roll the rear wheel it does not have the continous spin, softly pushing it would stop at about 2 to 3 cycles. I may need to change the bearings.
    The rear suspension I am having problems as I could not fit the suspension pump to its valve. The casing for the suspension is blocks it. I may have to have the bike mech take a look at it.
    Overall I am satisfied with the bike. But I switched to the lighter RM ETSX 50. I kept the Jekyll however.

mtbr member
    I would say Jekyl. Super Vs are excellent (i ride one) with a 5'' fork and a modern air shock, neither of which that one has. Also, The "bonded" swingarm on the super V has been known to fail. With a little work, the V would make an excelent AM ride, but the Jekyl is ready for AM
    Well, I was just riding along when...

Kneel Before Your Master
    Well I believe a 2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ was just thrown into the mix. Components look a little worn, but price is less than these other two.