mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 or Giant VT Frame?

Hello everyone, i'm building up a bike in the near future and was wondering which one of the frames stated above would be better for All mountain use with a bit of light DH/FR thrown in. Basically its going to be a do everything bike while still needing to be able to pedal up hills on long XC rides. I'll be buying a complete Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 and taking the parts off that, my concerns are that some of the parts wont fit from the Dakar to the VT frame. The XLT 2.0 only comes in 15" which is too small for me (i'm 5'10") so I need to change the frame.

The Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 (2005) 19" frame is brand new and $399 from Jenson. However I live in Australia and its $150 to post it here, then theres conversion and i've heard a lot of reviews about the rear triangle cracking, i'll be going on a trip in the next month after buying the frame and I don't want to be stranded with a cracked frame.

Your frame includes a WTB integrated headset and quick-release seat collar
    Accepts 51mm IS Disc brakes (no rim brake / no V-brakes)
    Replaceable derailleur hanger
    Weight: 7.51 lbs (19" frame with shock, seat collar, headset)
    Frame accepts 27.2mm seatpost, 68mm bottom bracket, and 31.8mm, top pull, bottom swing (high clamp) front derailleur

The Giant VT 2 (2004) 18" frame is used but in excellent condition and has only used for light firetrail use and has never been crashed. This frame is $400, local and comes with a THOMSON ELITE seatpost, all the bearings and linkages have been serviced and replaced. I've read lots of reviews on this frame and so far the only downside is that the paint chips easily.

frame ALUXX SL 6013 Aluminum, FluidFormed™, 5/5.75” travel
    rear shock Manitou Swinger Air SPV 3-way

I could take the 4 way swinger off the Jamis and put it on the VT, anyone know if it will fit?

ride hard take risks
    The swing arm on the Jamis was upgraded, I dont recall what year. Jamis never had a problem taking care of the customers with issues, they were up front & extremely helpful. Not many companies would do what they did to resolve a problem. On the VT when someone says it has very little use only on fire roads with a full bearing service I would worry. If the bike was never used why did it need a full service of the bearings? Get the Jamis & ride on.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am very tempted to take the Jamis with its newness and warranty.BUT the VT is from a trusted seller (feedback system) and it comes with a Thomson *drool* seatpost. The VT has 5 to 5.75" of rear travel (not that i'll be needing that much). It will also save me $150 USD, not to mention customs taxes.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoFearNick7
    I am very tempted to take the Jamis with its newness and warranty.BUT the VT is from a trusted seller (feedback system) and it comes with a Thomson *drool* seatpost. The VT has 5 to 5.75" of rear travel (not that i'll be needing that much). It will also save me $150 USD, not to mention customs taxes.
    Sounds like your sold on the VT, your on the trail to a new bike build.
    Formotion Products

I just let one RIP
    I'd vote VT -- it's an awesome machine and should do exactly what you're looking for. (Of course, the Dakar probably would, too, but the VT better in my opinion)

You'd have to measure the eye-to-eye of the shock and the stroke length to see if it would work in the VT frame.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I ride an '05 XLT and LOVE IT. Jamis had problems in '03 and '04 with seatstays/chainstays cracking, but the problem has been fixed. Jamis customer service is very good as well. Were I you, I would look on ebay for a frame. I got my XLT for $175 w/o the rear shock and put a Fox Rp23 on it. You can find them routinely for $200 - $350 brand new with a rear shock. Some of the XAMs are starting to go up too.

Bottom line - get a Jamis.

Freshly Fujified

Sorry, but....

3+ yr old used Giant VT vs brand new Jamis XLT for the same price? Get the Jamis, buy a Thomson seatpost and be done with it.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

I AM I AM
    I should be all for Giant, I like their bikes. But I'd be weary of buying a used dually. Yes in your case it all sounds good (bearings / linkages serviced and replaced), but my primary concern isn't so much having to replace bearings and stuff, it's more of a fact as to how long spare parts will be available for that bike? Giant has moved on in their technology & range, so should you happen to brake a linkage or rear triangle will you be able to source another?

If you do a search I think there was a thread in the Giant forum recently, someone with a VT unhappy about how long it too or the availabliity of parts.

I'd look at 2nd hand Trance / Reign frames (if you didn't want to go with the Jamis), should be pretty easy to find considering people will want to upgrade to the new '08 design, and at least it's a bit newer than the VT.
    The Thomson post is indeed a sweetner - or a sales ploy!

mtbr member
    The Jamis XLT would be perfect for the kind of riding you want to do. Between the two I would absolutely choose the Jamis. You'd also be getting a brand new frame vs. used.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I currently have 4 Gaints in my stable. His and Hers Reigns and TCRs. Great bikes!!! My Riegn was a VT1 in its former life. I loved in downhill and cursed in up hill, and on flats. Not the most efficient pedaling platform.

I would stick with the Dakar. Or as a previous poster noted, get a used Reign frame. THE BIKES ROCK!! They are swiss army knives, do it all bikes. They pedal, climb and decend like a dream. I have ridden Moab with buddies on Elsworths and similar bikes that cost 2x as much and been on there heels or lead.

I love Gaints, but cant recommend the out dated VT.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for all your feedback. I have recently bought a 2008 GIANT REIGN frame which was brand new and i'll be using it instead of the Dakar XLT frame that came on my bike.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoFearNick7
    Thanks for all your feedback. I have recently bought a 2008 GIANT REIGN frame which was brand new and i'll be using it instead of the Dakar XLT frame that came on my bike.
    Sweet you will love the Reign for rippin some big trails.
    Formotion Products