s62
    mtbr member

Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0?

I was looking at some '05 Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0's, and was wondering if they are good AM rides.

FRAME Kinesium alloy main triangle and 7005 rear, cartridge bearing pivots, fully-active 4-bar linkage design, 125mm travel, Manitou Swinger Air SPV 4-way shock,replaceable derailleur hanger, international disc brake mount..
    FORK Manitou Minute 3 SPV, 130mm with infinite travel adjust.
    HEADSET WTB Team, Internal Cup type, 1 1/8.
    WHEELSET Mavic XM317 eyeleted disc rims, 32 hole with shimano Deore XT hubs. WTB 14G stainless steel spokes
    TIRES Hutchinson Spider, 26 x 2.30, kevlar bead.
    DERAILLEURS Shimano XT rear, Deore XT front
    SHIFTERS Shimano Deore XT Rapidfire SL
    CHAIN Shimano HG93.
    FREEWHEEL Shimano HG-50
    CRANKSET Truvativ Stylo SL
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano Deore XT
    PEDALS Crank bros candy C
    BRAKESET Avid Juicy 7 .
    HANDLEBAR TruVativ XR. 31.8mm Riser Bar,Tripple butted
    STEM TruVativ XR, 80mm x 5 (13 15),
    90mm x 5 (17 19), 100mm x 5 (21).
    GRIPS WTB Weirwolf, dual DNA compound.
    SEATPOST TruVativ Team Double Clamp, 350mm x 27.2mm with alloy clamp and QR.
    SADDLE Fizik Plateau with leather top .
    SIZES 15 or 19"
    COLORS Ano Red
    WEIGHT 29.75 lbs

It seems light, fairly heavy duty (triple butted, minute 3, swinger 4-way), and generally well equipped (juicy 7's, etc.). Anyone here ride this model? Recommend or nay?

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I have a 04 and I must say hard to beat bang for your buck. The geometry is spot on for me 68.5 HA and 73 SA. They ride very nice, climbs well, decends great!. rear suspension feels bottomless, swinger 4-way it's a hell of a shock. I haven't seen nothing that comes close to in the price range given that you don't pay MSRP. Not the lightest, not the fastest (well it depens on you), but she is fun, a lot.

s62
    mtbr member
    29.75 lbs is actually pretty light, especially vs. the other bikes I've been looking at (Ibex Atlas, Kona Dawg, etc.). The components really are sick. MSRP of 2200 sounds about right, but the 1470 I'll pay is nothing.

mtbr member
    i have the 06 model and its amazing. for the price it cant be beat. won bike of the year in a couple magazines. it will take anything you thow at it. lil sluggish on the cimb tho. i have pics if needed
    i need a god damn seat post!

s62
    mtbr member
    so this isn't a cheapish company like motocabe (or however you spell them), mongoose, or ibex, right?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    29.75 lbs is actually pretty light, especially vs. the other bikes I've been looking at (Ibex Atlas, Kona Dawg, etc.). The components really are sick. MSRP of 2200 sounds about right, but the 1470 I'll pay is nothing.
    That sounds really light for that bike. I had an 05 XLT, it was a beefcake -- but burly. Thery're good bikes. Like another poster said, they might just be the best "bang for your buck" bike out there right now.

s62
    mtbr member
    Yeah, turns out they are 31 and some change, maybe 32 and some change. That's ok by me, tho. As long as it doesn't break when I ride it

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    Yeah, turns out they are 31 and some change, maybe 32 and some change. That's ok by me, tho. As long as it doesn't break when I ride it
    That sounds more like it. I think mine was around 33 lbs similary speced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have an 06 XLT 2.0 and it's amazing! The only thing I might swap out are the tires but the rest of the bike is great!

I really like the adjustable travel with lockout - especially for climbing and letting it all out on the downhill/ technical sections. 05 model is slightly lighter than 06 and there is handlebar mounted infinite travel adjustment (06 model you have to reach down and adjust).

No complaints here - I may be a bit slower on the climbs because of slightly more weight but blow past everyone on the descent!

Here's a review for interest: http://www.mountainbiketales.com/reviews/dakar.htm