Thread: Jamis Dakar AMT

mtbr member

Jamis Dakar AMT

I can't find any reviews in the 2012 Janis Dakar AMT 26er and was wondering anyone here has one.

Looking for opinions on how the geometry handles and how well the suspension works.

http://****************/wp-content/up...in-bikes-3.jpg

mtbr member
    bump

mtbr member
    May be worth asking in the Jamis sub-forum Jamis
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Its got some correct parts like a Lyrik and Monarch Plus and nice closer to horizontal linkage. Also looks beefy. It is a steeper head tube angle than most and a shortish top tube tube with a longer stem. My advice, try it out, even if you can get on a slightly older model. Its just for the fork travel its gonna get more twitchy under heavy braking than most in this segment. With this travel range, I'd go for a 60-80mm stem, 67deg head angle and about a 1/4" longer top tube. There are some things you can do to make it less of a compromise in handling and stability and that would be a single degree adjustable headset but try to get on that offsets the bottom cup only so your top tube won't get any shorter. And at least a 750mm wide bar will widen your grip to help negate the short top tube. But on the plus side the rear shock and fork are some of the best components out there. The fork has good adjustments too not the best one but really close to the top of their line. For $1949 or so at Jenson for a complete bike, I'd say its a steal. A thru rear axle and hydro discs. One last thing you should be able to get an external lower headset cup that would add stack height and slacken the fork some and get closer to that 67deg standard angle. Yes all the dimensions I speak of seem like not much, but the headtube and top tube are very critical to enjoy the ride an have the best handling for this All Mountain niche with that much travel. Without a couple of these things you'll be carrying unused weight of suspension capability.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Also if you're looking at Jenson the Jamis Dakar XCT Comp Mountain Bike 2012 is a better fit to its trail bike niche and is a slacker head angel than the AMT. Or even the Diamond Back Mission is really what you ant but they only have the XL size left which prob isn't your size. The lower EC cup on the AMT thought is a cheap fix for it to make it way better but again I recommend the other things with the cup to help but maybe on the Jamis form they know if the specs are right or not and what they have done if anything.