mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Jamis 2009 Parker vs. XAM 1.0

Budget minded, Jenson has what seems to be good deals on these two bikes. I'm considering starting with one of these rigs over this winter to eventually replace my hardtails. Components look decent for the price, reviews on both are generally good. With the price being close, I'm curious as to whats the real world difference between the two. Theres a geometry difference and some component difference. My riding sways more towards the XC side of things but still bomb down any hills I get the chance to.

Deals seen here:

Parker
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...I+Bike+09.aspx

XAM
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+Bike+08.aspx

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'd go with the XAM. Its a little lighter and has Shimano instead of FSA cranks.
    09 Jamis XCT2 Marzocchi RC3 ti forks, XT/XTR drivetrain, Mavic Crossrides/ Kenda Nevegal DTC=29lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The weight difference isn't too big of a deal to me. I'm keeping my Giant Yukon for when I need a light XC bike. The frame design and rear suspension geometry is what I'm curious about since they are very different looking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    From what I read, the Parker's a 4 incher DJ/4X bike? The XAM's a light AM/Trail bike? Pre 09 Parker is also know for broken chainstay, although from what I read, the 09 onwards, they have redesign it.

Have not ridden both, but have held the bare frame in my hands. Both are heavy. So my take would be on the XAM, since there's additional 50mm worth of fun going down as a bonus for haulin great mass uphill.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no weight weenie. I too are in the same category as you. I don't mind the ride up as long as it comes with worthy downhill (XC level).

usually cranky
    i own and love both. but i would take my xam any day. for me its more fun, more trail friendly. the parker is a pretty awesome short travel trail rig but just isnt as comfortable for longer rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You should consider the XCT as well, jenson has those on closeout too. I bought an XCT 2.0 a few months ago and after some small upgrades I'm extremely happy with it. I can't imagine a better bike for the money...it's great on descents but still climbs very well.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by dpk785
    You should consider the XCT as well, jenson has those on closeout too. I bought an XCT 2.0 a few months ago and after some small upgrades I'm extremely happy with it. I can't imagine a better bike for the money...it's great on descents but still climbs very well.
    +1. didnt even think of that. if you're more on the xc side of things the xtc might be better with its lower weight. but also consider the geometry difrences.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I didn't even look at those. What small changes did you make?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It came with a 100mm stem so I replaced it with a 70mm. I also put on SLX cranks (double with bash), SLX double front derailleur, Wellgo MG1 pedals, Hope qr seat collar, and Lizard Skins grips. I just ordered a set of Hope Tech M4 brakes as well. It was a really nice bike as it came, and it's a good platform to upgrade over time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It came with a 100mm stem so I replaced it with a 70mm. I also put on SLX cranks (double with bash), SLX double front derailleur, Wellgo MG1 pedals, Hope qr seat collar, and Lizard Skins grips. I just ordered a set of Hope Tech M4 brakes as well. It was a really nice bike as it came, and it's a good platform to upgrade over time.
    I got my 2009 XCT 2 a week ago and I've already done some upgrades to it too. I swapped out the Nevegal wire bead tires for the foldable Nevegal DTC 120TPI tires which saved about 2.4 pounds (26 x 2.35 in front and 26 x 2.10 in the back). I added a Specialized quick release seat collar, a chainstay guard, Cateye Micro computer, two bottle cages, and Easton Flatboy platform pedals. With all this stuff on there my 17" XCT 2 weighs 31 lbs, 8 oz. My next upgrade will be the Wellgo MG-1 pedals with ti spindles. I should be able to shed 10.1 oz just by switching the Eastons for the MG-1 ti's. How you liking your MG-1's so far?

I'd also like to upgrade to a better wheelset.

Oh yeah, these Avid Juicy 3's suck.
    09 Jamis XCT2 Marzocchi RC3 ti forks, XT/XTR drivetrain, Mavic Crossrides/ Kenda Nevegal DTC=29lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Why do the juicy 3s suck? All my bikes have mechanical disc so thats what I'm used to. Just curious about the gripes as thats not the first time I've heard that.

The XCT series does look more appealing. I'd swap out for a bash guard in front right away and just ride it until things break then start replacing. From doing some searching here, it looks like the XCT 1.0 was only 799$ not too long ago, then go bumped up to 949$, with a rumor that it'll drop back to the prior price after christmas. Mmm. Interesting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver77
    I got my 2009 XCT 2 a week ago and I've already done some upgrades to it too. I swapped out the Nevegal wire bead tires for the foldable Nevegal DTC 120TPI tires which saved about 2.4 pounds (26 x 2.35 in front and 26 x 2.10 in the back). I added a Specialized quick release seat collar, a chainstay guard, Cateye Micro computer, two bottle cages, and Easton Flatboy platform pedals. With all this stuff on there my 17" XCT 2 weighs 31 lbs, 8 oz. My next upgrade will be the Wellgo MG-1 pedals with ti spindles. I should be able to shed 10.1 oz just by switching the Eastons for the MG-1 ti's. How you liking your MG-1's so far?

I'd also like to upgrade to a better wheelset.

Oh yeah, these Avid Juicy 3's suck.
    The pedals are nice, especially considering they were only around $30. I wouldn't mind having something thinner since they do catch the occasional rock but they're really light and the pins are just right.

Did changing those tires make a big difference? I've been trying to decide which tires to go with, it currently feels like I'm dragging around a boat anchor with the Nevegals that came on the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbologna
    Why do the juicy 3s suck? All my bikes have mechanical disc so thats what I'm used to. Just curious about the gripes as thats not the first time I've heard that.

The XCT series does look more appealing. I'd swap out for a bash guard in front right away and just ride it until things break then start replacing. From doing some searching here, it looks like the XCT 1.0 was only 799$ not too long ago, then go bumped up to 949$, with a rumor that it'll drop back to the prior price after christmas. Mmm. Interesting.
    They squeal terribly and don't have a lot of power. They came with a really bad factory bleed so after I bled them they felt a lot better, but still fairly weak for a heavy bike. I also constantly have to realign them so they don't rub, pretty much after every ride.

usually cranky
    get some better tires dpk. good ones can make a world of difference. and juicy 3s do suck, my tectro hydros were far better. i wouldnt not get the bike because of the brakes though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm trying to stick it out with these tires until I have to replace them, which shouldn't be too much longer since they are wearing really quickly. I'll probably get a set of the new conti mountain king 2's once they are available.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The pedals are nice, especially considering they were only around $30. I wouldn't mind having something thinner since they do catch the occasional rock but they're really light and the pins are just right.

Did changing those tires make a big difference? I've been trying to decide which tires to go with, it currently feels like I'm dragging around a boat anchor with the Nevegals that came on the bike.
    The bike is over two lbs lighter, but the new tires feel about the same off road. I should have stuck with the 2.35 in the rear as the traction was better than it seems with the 2.10. My last ride I had too much pressure in the tires so I might like them more with less air.

BTW, I removed my rear shock this morning as I noticed it has just a hint of play. I'm not sure what is supposed to pivot here but there is a sleeve that goes through the eyelets on each end of the shock and they don't budge. It looks like all the movement is between the mounting bolt and that sleeve. And there is NO GREASE in there. The friction has worn the black coating off the bolts and that is where my play is coming from. Hopefully with some grease in there I can prevent further damage. It looks to be poorly designed from what I can tell.

EDIT: I resolved the rear shock issue and it is posted in the 2009 Dakar XCT 2 thread in the Jamis forum.
    Last edited by Quicksilver77; 12-05-2010 at 03:22 PM.

usually cranky
    I'm trying to stick it out with these tires until I have to replace them, which shouldn't be too much longer since they are wearing really quickly. I'll probably get a set of the new conti mountain king 2's once they are available.
    given that bike is slack on the front i would try a more aggressive front tire like the trail king.