Thread: Jack The Ripper

www.EpicCyclist.com

Jack The Ripper

From my blog hope you like it.

You want it long, hard and steep? Meet Pemberton's Jack The Ripper (aka JTR). I knew this was going to be a long hard day with everything mountain biking has to offer. The whole trail, top to bottom, is single track. You start off with the Big Nimby climb all the way up to the paraglide launch. No biggie; just sit, spin and enjoy the valley views, which are all so enjoyable. Once at the paraglide launch, this is a good place to rest, have a bite to eat and if you're lucky, a chat with some paragliders. Enjoy this, because you are about to go into mosquito infested hell.

Name:  IMG_0094.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  38.1 KB

The second climb, Middle Earth, is a short ride on the gravel road (maybe one minute or so) to an intersection. The trail head is on the northeast side. The trail is very similar to Nimby and climbs all the way up (most of it anyway) to the cell tower where JTR starts. Not too many places to stop from now on if you're mosquito sensitive like I am - those things are horrible evil little bastards!!! Just keep moving.

Name:  IMG_0115.JPG
Views: 427
Size:  50.1 KB

Middle Earth drops you out on the gravel road. At this point, head northeast, and at the intersection, continue east, stay right, and after 5 minutes or so you're at the cell tower. If you think that all the climbing is behind you, think again.

By this point you'll have lots of elevation gain in your legs and they're most likely starting to get tired. Unfortunately for you, it's still a while before you're truly at the top. JTR starts further in once you start the last leg of the climb. This is actually the trail head that leads you to Tenquille lake; the trail begins north of the cell tower.

Name:  IMG_0100.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  45.8 KB

Jack The Ripper has a bit of a story. It's named after Jack Hannan who was killed by an avalanche on Mt. Currie. When I ride trails like this I always feel emotional. I have tremendous respect for my fellow riders. I'm not sure why, but I guess it's because even if I never met him, I can relate to him. I feel we are part of the same mountain culture. Anyway, always pay your respects.

Name:  IMG_0109.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  44.7 KB

Finally JTR sign! You're now almost at the top. The lake (not sure of the name) is the actual top, but hopefully you still have gas left in you. Virtually everything from now on is pointing down, but easy it is not. Steep is the name of the game here. If you're too tired, you're going to have a hard time, and it's not going to be fun at all. Even walking the steep lines are hard (sometimes harder). For me, this is what I love. Exposed and steep; it just keeps coming at you relentlessly. Awesome!

I'll be honest, I was a bit worried at first because I wasn't sure if my riding partner was up to the technical challenges. I was wrong. Steve was riding like a champ; I've never seen him ride like that before. He was nailing lines that even I was a bit nervous on. After I saw him clean the first few serious lines, I knew we were in for a sweet run.

Name:  IMG_0116.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  46.5 KB

We're at the bottom now and I'm tired. After 7 hours of hard riding, we are spent with not much left in the tank. After following what felt like a never ending road back to the car and getting rid of our stinky biking gear, we headed to the nearest pub. What a day! This ride will be on my yearly to do list from now on.

One last note, if you need a map or trail info, head to Bikeco in Pemberton and say hi for me, they'll sort you out. Again thanks to all the trail builders, that was one crazy piece of epic single track!

RIP Jack and thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for posting this! My wife and I rode this trail last September and had exactly the same experience. So incredibly difficult, yet so incredibly awesome! I have dreams about going back and riding more of the technical drops, but everything is hard about JTR. I am unfortunately off the bike this summer with an injury, but post like this keep me stoked about next year.

mtbr member
    This was great...although you fully had my interest piqued after describing the climb I would have read a lot more! Thanks for taking us along...looks incredible

www.EpicCyclist.com
    Thanks. It's not for everyone but if you like rowdy trails it's awesome. Most drops/steeps aren't that bad, you just have to commit. Sometimes it's more difficult to walk them. The biggest problem is how loose it can be specially mid summer, best to ride late summer or early fall after a bit of rain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    awesome that you rode the whole thing from the bottom. We've made it an annual ride the last 3 years, we call it the Honey Badger because, well it's pretty badass. We do it in September = few bugs, less heat and a bit more moisture in the dirt if you're lucky. The ride up Reid Rd after sucks, but last year we included Creampuff at the end, I bonked hard but it was worth it. Talked about doing Meatgrinder at the end this year but I'm out with an injury so will see if the group decides to go for it, could be a bad decision with the loose steep chutes at that stage of the game.

From the 2012 Norco Sight review I co-wrote with Steve Sheldon for MTBR
    Jack The Ripper-sight4.jpg
    Jack The Ripper-sight1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    this ride is definitely on my to do list for one of my BC outings this summer.
    is JTR doable with a single 32t front or will I want to throw a granny setup on there? sounds like a pretty good climb.
    how much exposure is there really on that drop in chris2's first picture there with the wood slats? looks like on the edge of nothing.

any other recomendations for XC riding in the whistler/squamish/pemberton area? I rode a few trails in squamish last time on the way back from whistler including half nelson which was pretty fun.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic reducer View Post
    this ride is definitely on my to do list for one of my BC outings this summer.
    is JTR doable with a single 32t front or will I want to throw a granny setup on there? sounds like a pretty good climb.
    how much exposure is there really on that drop in chris2's first picture there with the wood slats? looks like on the edge of nothing.

any other recomendations for XC riding in the whistler/squamish/pemberton area? I rode a few trails in squamish last time on the way back from whistler including half nelson which was pretty fun.
    You'll suffer with the 32t front. It is a 3- 4 hour climb after all. Having said that you'll suffer anyway.

Lots of suggestions and discussions about trails to ride in the Western Canada forum

Video and more pics in this link from the MTBR front page. Whistler Bike Park Trails During Crankworx ? August 2012 Update | Mountain Bike Review

BTW - Jack built a good chunk of JTR

Video

Jack the Ripper August 17, 2012 from Lee Lau on Vimeo.

Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

www.EpicCyclist.com
    That's a cool pic. When I rode it the rungs felt really loose, you could here them rattle. Sonic, the move looks harder than it is, in that pic it looks steep. Lots of harder line on the trail. Actually there a ramp just after that one that's a bit harder and steeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2 View Post
    From the 2012 Norco Sight review I co-wrote with Steve Sheldon for MTBR
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sight4.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	818951

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode it with a mojo hd 1x10 (34t). My wife rode it on a nomad c 1x10 (32t). Yes, the climb was a bit of a sufferfest, but we made it fine. I don't own a font derailleur on any bike.

www.EpicCyclist.com
    Damn no granny!?!?! I'd be dead at the top.