mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Issues with new steel bike frame. I'd like other users input.

Just bought a new steel AM hardtail frame from a direct selling manufacturer that is known to build cool frames. There is at least one and maybe more loose flakes of metal in the seattube support that won't come out (I can see the debris in a drain hole, but can't get it out. The company suggested gorilla glue. Not sure if that will be a permanent fix. And it is REALLY noisy as it shakes in the frame.

There also seems to be a lot of rust on the inside of the top tube. Not sure if that is normal for a brand new frame. I worry that the loose metal is flaked rust and it may get worse.

Posting pics to get others thoughts as to if this is normal with a new steel frame.

First pic is the loose metal sitting by the drain tube. Second is a close up through the head tube into the top tube to show the rust.

Thanks.Issues with new steel bike frame.  I'd like other users input.-20180429_141904.jpg

Issues with new steel bike frame.  I'd like other users input.-20180430_064605.jpg

mtbr member
    If thatís the frame I think it is make sure you treat it with frame saver. Since itís chrome it didnít come already treated. I have the same frame built over the winter been riding the shit out of it. No issues. If all else hit it with a blow gun and see if the stuff thatís loose will come out. But I donít see you having anything to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Valvoline ML spray works as framesaver and glues these fragments of steel to the inside of the tube.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikenaked View Post
    The company suggested gorilla glue. Not sure if that will be a permanent fix. And it is REALLY noisy as it shakes in the frame.
    Blob of grease.

None of that stuff is a problem, and is very common. It's distressing if you don't expect it, fosho. Post up some pics of your new frame!
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov