mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Iron horse mkiii for a big guy

Just found a MKIII IRON HORSE for sale online from a private party. Seems like the bike has been well taken care of and has upgraded the front for to fox 32 talas. My question is as follows; I am a big dude 6' 250 lbs... Is this bike going to suit me in regards to my weight? I have never rode a full suspension and am wondering if this would be a bad purchase. Any and all feedback is welcomed. I am hesitant due to the multiple threads complaining about the rear triangle and its design flaws.

mtbr member
    No. A 32mm stanchion fork is not going to work for you. You want a 36mm fork.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The biggest downside is the lack of support. I don't think iron horse has a functioning company any more so any broken parts might leave you with a useless pile.

I would look into a Kona coiler if you can find one in your size. Going to be heavier but should last under your weight. Or maybe a Santa Cruz heckler.

How much is the guy asking? If it's cheap enough even broken you might be able to get your cash back though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I DO NOT ride anything advanced, this will be mainly used to get to and from campsites and on very entry level trails. The guy wants 450 for it and my justification is that I could get an older bike with nicer parts vs getting a newer bike with garbage entry level stuff. Why 36mm? I am very new to this...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The difference is stanchion size, the larger stanchions 36mm for a fox 36 will be stiffer with less flex than the 32mm. If you aren't riding hard shouldn't be an issue. The price isn't bad if it's in great shape. Just make sure there are no fatal flaws in the frame. And test ride it, make sure you can get it setup for your weight, make sure the stanchions on the fork aren't trashed and worn. That's an expensive fix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The MKIII were well know for broken chain stays.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    No. A 32mm stanchion fork is not going to work for you. You want a 36mm fork.
    Ignore this post. Im bigger than you, 32mm is fine starting out. Reason for the recommendation is where you posted. This type of riding 32mm forks arent going to cut it.

That said, I wouldnt mess with that bike being the chain stay issue. Complaints that vast are from guys a lot smaller, and their breaking them. However for the price, its a better bike than cheap entry stuff at half the price of new entry bikes. So you could ride it till the stays break and get a good portion of your money back in parts.

If its in REALLY good shape, chances are the guy probably rode it like you plan too, so stays could last till your ready for more advanced riding.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    The MKIII were well know for broken chain stays.
    This! My rear triangle cracked after owning it for 1-2 years and I wasn't riding it hard back then... I would avoid. Plus Iron Horse isn't in business anymore for a while now.

mtbr member
    If you ride mainly paths and tame trails you'd be much better with a hard-tail (no rear suspension) anyway. It would be simpler to maintain, more reliable, faster, lighter, just a better bike for the job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    in my opinion, it is an iconic bike, Sam Hill, Monster Green, and if you were buying it for that reason to hang on your wall and not rip and shred, then for $100 is a nice piece.

since you are going to be very easy on it consider a $200 offer or whatever you feel like risking in the event the stays break. there is risk of breaking even if you are easy on it due to its age and your weight. by age I really mean that it has been around forever and you have no idea how hard it has been ridden over the years.

if you are buying it sight unseen then get it as low a price as possible. if you buy it in person, take a large magnifying glass and a flash light and go over that frame inch by inch for cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The mkiii would break under riders 100lb lighter. The talas 32 is a complete noodle. Nothing about that bike is appropriate for you.

The fact that the talas 32 has 32mm stanchions isnt why its flexy. Its just a flexy fork, other 32mm forks are drastically stiffer.

Sam Hill rode a sunday. The mkiii was just a cheap bike that broke frequently!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No doubt Sam Hill rode the Sunday, but that put them on the map and sold a lot of MKIII

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    No doubt Sam Hill rode the Sunday, but that put them on the map and sold a lot of MKIII
    The two bikes have nothing to do with each other. The name on the frame is the only thing they have in common.