Village Idiot
    Oct 2007

Iron Horse 6point4?

2008 Iron Horse 6point4 frame & Fox DHX3.0 air shock any good as an AM setup?
    **** Looking for a Sram 9.0SL rear hub *****

mtbr member
    I say yes. The stock bikes are pretty heavy but a lot of that is in the wheels and tires. It could totally be a good AM bike with the right stuff. Check out this thread about the weight of 6 Points:

How much does your 6 Point Weigh?

mtbr member
    Don't let the IH name fool you, the 6 point is for real. It's my fave bike and I own several VPP designs and a good friend is a Spesh Team rider so... I like to think my opinion is fairly ubiased and based on the actual ride quality (DW link is the real deal). Depending on how you build it, it can tackle a LOT more than AM - I use mine as my dedicated FR bike and rarely find myself riding my DH race bike anymore PLUS it climbs great and won't hold you back on long trail rides!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 07-27-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just got a 6.4 as a replacement for a broken Fuel EX7. It's a legit ride with a ton of potential. I immediately switched out the heavy Minions and am looking to replace the fork (weight) but it's otherwise a huge improvement over the EX7. It's very confidence inspiring and climbs well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rushtrack
    Just got a 6.4 as a replacement for a broken Fuel EX7. It's a legit ride with a ton of potential. I immediately switched out the heavy Minions and am looking to replace the fork (weight) but it's otherwise a huge improvement over the EX7. It's very confidence inspiring and climbs well.
    Did yours come with the dual ply DH casing Minions or single ply 2.5"s? If the latter then I'd be interested in them.

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Off topic question, but how much can you shed ditching the minions? and does any one have a good recommendation for a lighter tire?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snownow
    Off topic question, but how much can you shed ditching the minions? and does any one have a good recommendation for a lighter tire?
    They were supposed to come with 2.5 single ply Minion DHF's but towards the end they ran out so they started coming with the dual ply DH race version. If you got the latter then you could save a good 2-3 pounds! If the former then probably only 1/2 lb but I wouldn't bother because the sigle plys are some of the best AM tires you will ever find.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    They were supposed to come with 2.5 single ply Minion DHF's but towards the end they ran out so they started coming with the dual ply DH race version. If you got the latter then you could save a good 2-3 pounds! If the former then probably only 1/2 lb but I wouldn't bother because the sigle plys are some of the best AM tires you will ever find.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    It was actually less about weight and more about the fact that I'm very very partial to my Nevegal 2.35s (They may actually be heavier).

Let me check on the Minions when I get home. I have a hunch they might be the DH F version. In which case I'll PM you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have been spanking an IH 7 point as my trail bike all season now and LOVE IT! The 6 point is very similar only lighter. If you want a solid bike to ride hard you will really enjoy a 6 point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086

Have FUN!

G MAN

Mine came with the dual ply DH race version.... All i have to say is they are super heavy, and OMG what a pain to get off the rim. (lol had my first flat last night and had to fight that tire off)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i just got an 08 6 point 4 a couple of weeks ago and love it, a great all-around bike, but i agree with rushtrack that the fork is pretty heavy and i think is one of the things that should be upgraded. but if u can afford $2100 (600 more than the 6 point 4 on rscycle.com) u can upgrade to the 6 point 6 which come with almost all higher end components including a DHX 5.0 and a rockshox Lyrik fork.
    also, not sure if i have the dual or single-ply minions, so far i love those too, and when it comes time to replace tires would u recommend getting single-ply minions or is there a better AM tire out there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evoman
    i just got an 08 6 point 4 a couple of weeks ago and love it, a great all-around bike, but i agree with rushtrack that the fork is pretty heavy and i think is one of the things that should be upgraded. but if u can afford $2100 (600 more than the 6 point 4 on rscycle.com) u can upgrade to the 6 point 6 which come with almost all higher end components including a DHX 5.0 and a rockshox Lyrik fork.
    also, not sure if i have the dual or single-ply minions, so far i love those too, and when it comes time to replace tires would u recommend getting single-ply minions or is there a better AM tire out there?

If you are not specifically downhilling I would def go to single ply tires. I used to run light XC tubes as well. I seemed to have much less flats with light tubes than heavy tubes. Go figure! Now I run ghetto tubeless and am extremely happy so far.
    I run a Nevegal 2.5 Stick-E in the front and a Highroller 2.35 60a in the back. I want to try a 2.4 Nobby NIC and maybe the 2.5 single ply minion for my next front tire.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    how much weight would u reckon is lost going to single plys and xc tubes?
    =) excellent, thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evoman
    how much weight would u reckon is lost going to single plys and xc tubes?
    =) excellent, thanks.
    My guesstimate is 1-3 pounds.

A Maxxis DH tube for a 2.5/2.7 tire is stated to weigh 465g. 465 x 2 = 930g
    A Maxxis Freeride tube is stated to weigh 295g.
    A Maxxis Ultralight Tube is stated to weigh 125g. 125 x 2 = 250g

A Minion 2.5 Single Ply is stated to weigh 850g. 850 x 2 = 1700g (A 2.5 Nevegal is very close in weight)
    A Minion 2.5 Dual Ply is stated to weigh 1330g 1330 x 2 = 2660g

So 2660+930 = 3590g
    And 1700+250 = 1950g
    The difference is 1640g which is about 3.61 lbs.

Now please take note that this is only one example and the weights are taken off of Maxxis.com.

what nice teeth you have
    I got my 6 point this summer and am absolutely loving it. Spec'd it with a Hammershmidt and a Gravity Dropper, a decent fork, two wheelsets (one for the resort and a lighter set for trail riding). Oh and you can shave a ton of weight on the wheels.

6point w/ Azonic Outlaws DH tubes and DH tires = 42 lb

6point w/ stans arch's (rim tape) hope hubs and maxxis advantage tires w/ sealant = 35 lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks eatmyshorts, amazing wat changing just the tires and tubes can do.