Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Intense Tracer 2 VS Pivot Mach 5.7

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  2ndgen 
#1 ·
After going roadie for a while, it's time for me to get another MTB.
I'm looking at an Intense Tracer 2 or a Pivot Mach 5.7.

Truth be told, I love them both. Just would like to hear what areas one would be superior to the other.

Of all the bikes I've seen available today, these are the two I'm settled on.
I like the low-sloped top tube design (which allows me to toss them around easier).

I'm going to do a lot of all day epic and aggressive trail riding, but I want something
that'll take a beating with enough squish on those days I get frisky.

I'd be happy with a finished weight of under 30lbs.

#3 ·
I don't know how much the Pivot frame weighs, but with any kind of a sturdy build the Tracer is going to be 32lb+. The one I bought was 32 lbs with a 32 Float, Crossride Wheels, X0/X9 drivetrain, Elixir CRs and Advantage 2.4 tires. I'm expecting to be in the 34lb range when I switch the fork for a 36 float and the wheels to 521s. Granted, I've erred on the side of heavy as is dictated by our terrain and my riding preferences, but I don't think you could get the Tracer much below 32 without resorting to weight-weenie components. However, the extra material in the Tracer frame makes it pretty stiff and I think it will hold up to serious abuse.

The T2's a bit slacker than the Pivot and has a slightly higher BB.

Personally, it's hard to see how you could go wrong with either bike. :D

#5 ·
A 5.7 weighs ~28lbs with the XT kit. It's not an "all mountain" bike, it's a "trail bike." It just has some extra plush in it. It'll handle 3 foot drops with no problem but it's more of a sports car than an SUV. Unless you like to shuttle real life downhill runs or session big stuff, it might be the best choice out there for the majority of riding that the majority of people do.

Did I say it was plush and fast? Because it's plush and very fast.

#7 ·
I guess it depends on what you like to do more or what your rides consist more of.
I will say the DW link is impressive & that Pivot makes an incredibly stiff frame.
If you are going for more all rounded I'd say the 5.7, more aggressive the Tracer2. That being said if your going aggressive i'd just get a Firebird.

Tracer2:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...w-intense-cycles-tracer-2-11-frame-only-40986

Pivot 5.7:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-pivot-mach-5-7-11-44768

This is a cool vid of the 5.7:

#9 ·
I just picked up a near mint '03 Fisher Sugar 4+ (I know, more XC than anything)
until I start building my next bike. Now, there's a new bike in the mix.

I was leaning towards the Pivot, but am not sure about the company's solvency.
I believe they were scooped up by someone else? Hope that was true.

The current favorite for me now is the Turner 5 Spot.

But I won't make any decisions until I test ride everything I'm considering.
I'm going to stay away from the uber groups and roll with either an XT or X.9 level groupset.

#10 ·
I just picked up a near mint '03 Fisher Sugar 4+ (I know, more XC than anything)
until I start building my next bike. Now, there's a new bike in the mix.

I was leaning towards the Pivot, but am not sure about the company's solvency.
I believe they were scooped up by someone else? Hope that was true.

The current favorite for me now is the Turner 5 Spot.

But I won't make any decisions until I test ride everything I'm considering.
I'm going to stay away from the uber groups and roll with either an XT or X.9 level groupset.
Since CC is listed as the CEO of both companies, I'd say it looks like Pivot did the "scooping up."

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/5674.html

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.