mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Intense Slopestyle 6.6 - as a do it all bike?

Basically its a toss-up between a 2010 used commencal Meta 5 team frame and a secondhand Slopestyle frame.

Yes both are different (meta's 7.5lb and SS 9lb?) however I want...

-Something that I can do upto 3hour rides on.
    -Can do technical rocky trails.
    -Can climb reasonably ok- look I can climb now after years of trying however its granny ring and just turning on some of the climbs in the Peaks (UK).
    -Have a lower bottom bracket- I loved my Blur4x for this. The rear did become overwhelmed though sometimes.
    -Will suit my Fox 36 Float R's (currently set at 140mm). Could probably notch them upto 150mm travel max (I like them lower for some reason).

-Will do a trip to the Alps this summer.

I'm not a 'jumper' or core in anyway however I will roll/ride through almost everything nowadays. I want a frame that will give me confidence to pop off over things (the Blur4x did this) and ride just that bit beyond my current talent window.

What are your thoughts on these two?

If you mention anything else- my budget is tight and wont stretch to a new frame. Plus I dont really like single pivot frames (if your thinking of newer but cheaper i.e. basic heckler).

I'd love a Blur4x but I want something with a bit more travel and preferably coil this time.

usually cranky
    for what you say go for the meta 5. btw it is a single pivot.

mtbr member
    There's a chap on the Santa Cruz forum who had some success putting a 200x57 shock on the Blur 4x, upping the travel to about 135mm - might suit you?

Not tried it with mine, but it sounds interesting. Was looking at my own 4x today, had all the air out of the shock and compressed it fully, it does look like there's enough clearance for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have a friend that has a slopestyle he rides for all mountain type riding and he climbs great on it but to warn you it has a fairly upright seat tube so you'll need quite an offset seatpost but otherwise it has a low bb and handles amazing on downhill runs etc. He does everything from technical xc racing to super d on it as well!

mtbr member
    I have a ss and its a great stout frame. I think it is better suited for a 170-180mm fork. I found it better as a bomber than ride up ride down. I also have a regular 6.6 and that one pedals much better uphill and has a tighter suspension feel which is great for freeride. I think the 6.6 jumps much better than the ss. The ss suspension is really plush so on jumps it sucks up the jumps.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure the meta can run a coil in the rear, can it?
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    My experience with Metas:

They're prone to cracking around the seat tube welds and the bend in the swing arm. I wouldn't want to do jumps for any length of time on one. Look out for this on the frame you're (maybe) buying.

The maxle upgrade is essential, the swing arm's flexy, a strong rider can get visible power sway out of it.

The suspension is very good, works best around a 32-34t chain ring, it's very comfortable and the bottom out is good (as in, well controlled). It doesn't have much chain growth so it doesn't feel like a lot of single pivots, very little feed back through the pedals.

Works best around a 140mm fork, good for your 36. You will struggle to fit a coil shock into the frame and linkage, unless you're very heavy you wouldn't need one anyway, it works best with the RP23/float shocks. Bearing life in the frame is pretty good.

I know very little about the (Mark 1) SS except that everyone I've met with one has loved it. All the ones I've seen in the UK have been set up as all rounders rather than true slope bikes, all with a full size six inch fork (36 or Lyrik). Apparently they climb very well and make for excellent all rounders.

Perpetual Hack
    A buddy of mine rides a SS for his trail-bike. Loves it and he can climb the thing up pretty much anything. ( He has an M3 for Gravity duties )

me 2 pence

michael