Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Input on my new AM ride

It is a bike, I am going to ride it on mountains and trails...
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Canuckistan
    Mar 2008
    looks good, but how about the rest of the bike? bars, stem, seat, seatpost, grips, ?reflectors?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    looks like a great, really expensive build! if you can afford it, i dont think theres a ton of question about it being good or not.

mtbr member
    go talas.......strokers werent for me, didnt like my mates.....'hope' instead?
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you don't want to spend the money, maybe get X-9 or XT (for the front) derailleurs insead. I'd go TALAS because of the travel adjust.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    id go xt in the front. i seriously dont shift the front enough to warrant spending a bunch of money on it. id use the saved money to bridge the gap and get a good set of hope brakes. hope over hayes everyday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It is a great bike with the parts that work best for me....
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 06:06 PM.

Do it all or nothing
    Go for avid. And talas since it has travel adjust. Mayby consider a roco tst air in the rear since it has lock out. By the way how much can you snag a XO rear d for anyway???

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If parts end up failing, or not meeting my needs.....I can easily replace them.....
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 06:07 PM.

Do it all or nothing
    O.K give me a discount percentage. Or a long math question.
    If it ain't broken... why the hell you fixin it!

KONA rules!!

If you miss the tranny... don't look down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newdownhiller
    I just checked out Hope, nice stuff, maybe since I am saving so much on everything else I just spend the money and buy them at, dare I say..... RETAIL and forego my deals. I cannot publicly say how much I pay for parts, but it is usually significant enough less that to not buy the top end from any line does not make sense....
    my mate put hope brakes on his spec demo......mental.....stop a car never mind a bike! just nothin compares!
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I like it!
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Do it all or nothing
    I'm drewling just thinking of a saint groupo on the bike with hope brakes. Holysh-t it's going to be a beast. Post a pick when your done the build
    If it ain't broken... why the hell you fixin it!

KONA rules!!

If you miss the tranny... don't look down.

mtbr member
    After more research, I am now going to spend the money for the Hope Moto M6 brakes, nice stuff. Also just test rode the new Shimano Saint drivetrain today and am going to give that the thumbs up on this bike.
    Unless you're doing lots of long alpine descents then 6-pot brakes are overkill for any application.

On an AM bike 2 pots are fine for 99% of what the bike will be doing, if you must go Moto 4's but 6's....too much IMO.

For the record I'm running '08 XTs with 160mm F&R on my 575 and they are excellent, highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    for flash, m6 all the way. in reality, the mono minis i have handled everything i have thrown at them without a problem...well almost. i did ride in the snow and everything got wet and froze, including the brakes. they got wet and between the ice, snow, mud, and the 20 degree weather, the calipers froze up. a little bit of pressure on the levers and they broke free.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nice bike indeed.
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    One other point to consider though: When it comes to bleeding them 2 pots is way easier to get "perfect" than 6 pots.

And for flash: XTR with Yumeya upgrades is as pimp as it gets, but you need very deep pockets !!

Dirt Deviant
    Sounds like a kicka$$ build. The Strokers are pretty sweet IMO.

Having too much brake is not really a good thing. It will be too " on-off" with little modulation. Having some feel with your brakes is what you want.

I run X-9 shifters and deraileurs. they work awesome. I'd hate to crash and break an X0 der. Prodeals are nice, I work in a shop but breaking an X0 and having to rebuy another kinda negates getting the stuff for cheap.
    If anything I'd say get the X0 shifters and an X9 der.
    Make sure you get the PG990 cassette and PC991 chain........= )
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the continued input, fortunately I get most everything around dealer cost (some cases less) so cost is not a real factor. However I do not have access to all brands (I had to buy the frame from the market) Hope brakes are one I do not have access to. I can get Avid or Hayes, in which I was going Hayes, but what are thoughts on the new Avid Elixers?

Contact Hope directly, they will help you out. They consider "any shop" dealers so will give wholesale to you if you are in the industry. If you need a contact person or some info shoot me a PM

mtbr member
    Despite my username, I am finding I am more of an AM rider, which is to say I am in good enough shape to pedal up and around the mountain and not just hang on going down

I just bought my new frameset, 2008 Intense 6.6, Here are my plans

Fox DHX 5.0 Air
    Fox 36 Talas or Float? RC2
    Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes (203mm front, 180mm rear)
    SRAM XO Triggers & derailleurs
    Race Face Atlas crankset
    DT Swiss EX 1750 wheels
    Kenda Nevegal Stick-e Tomac 2.35 tires
    If Fox, then Talas. (Or Magura Wotan (my choice), or RS Lyric 2-step). I think easy one button travel adjust is essential.
    It seems to me that 203/160 is better balanced - you can grab both with same strength without locking out.
    SRAM - that is religion. I am of the Shimano Shadow denomination.
    Stroker is apparently an improvement, I guess it will work. My choice on value is Shimano XT.
    I think the best deal on crank set for AM is dual ring SLX with dual ring SLX front derailler.
    Nice wheels, but you can get a better set from Chain Reaction Cycles for less.
    Nice tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Insert comments here....
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 06:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I pedal it and it moves.....
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 06:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Shimano XT drivetrain (crankset, shifters & deraileurs)
    Hope M4 brakes
    Mavic Crossmax ST wheel
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 tires
    You really want a triple crank with that frame?

I am happy with my 24-36 (from 22-36 SLX - I think it is a better crank then XT, and double front derailleur works better..), then you can run medium cage rear, less slop, better with a chain guide..

I also dig the multiple up shifts with the XTR shifters, on my light rides, probably will upgrade..

I am experimenting with Crank Brother Opium headset. It is frigging tiny. Looks odd on Kona headtube.. It works well, but does not look as well sealed as Chris King.. But it is California here...

mtbr member
    If you are using a reducer headset in the 6.6 Intense were (in late 2007) saying to stay away from Cane Creeks.

There was a tolerence issue which could lead to H'tube's cracking.

They recommended FSA reducer h'sets at that time.

The url link to Intenses site if no longer functional so they may have resolved the issue but it might be worth a quick email to clarify what they recommend as a suitable 1.5 > 1.125 headsets for a 6.6.

The broken url:

http://intensecycles.com/web/shared/..._interface.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Enough said.....
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast