Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Can't wait to ride it....
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 05:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newdownhiller
    I am definately in need of a triple, I do some serious climbing and though not old, at 38 I am not a kid anymore and that lower gear really has been a life saver for me on many bikes, I just want the versatility. I hear you on the XTR, but those components are really more geared for XC than AM, just not as rugged and more likely to be damaged with an impact.
    How does a 22-36 double inhibit your climbing? I am not following. Low gears are exactly the same.

On a triple you get 44 instead of 36, and no bashguard. If you are concerned about durability - bashguard is one of a few places where you can regularly absorb potential damage. I find that 36 is more versatile on descends then 32, and that I do not wish for a 44 when I have 36 on an AM bike.

My opinion is that a 22-36-bash (current best value is SLX) is more versatile on an AM bike then a triple with an unprotected big ring.

There is nothing in XTR shifters that is geared toward XC. If anything you want to switch by several gear at a time on AM terrain. They are just as rugged. They are only more expensive to replace. I am yet to crash a shifter.

spec4life???..smh...
    Curmy is right on the fact that you lose no climbing by running 22-36-bash. The low number of teeth will be 1st in the front while it is just the opposite in the rear. In my opinion running a bash on an AM bike is the way to go.

As far as XTR they are really unnecessary unless your racing XC. Stick with the XT set whats a few more grams for the price difference.

mtbr member
    to the o.p. i just got back to riding and while not a a.m. guy i ride the trails harder than xc fellas...with that being said has nothing to do with what i wanted to say hehe

i switched to the 22-36-bash from the standard 22-34-44 and love it. still get the great 22 cog but a little taller middle gear that im in 90% of the time.and on the old set up i never went 44 but have had to replace *bashing it* and not to mention trashed a chain as well

just my 2 pennies i like my new set-up and the bash gives my bike a little tougher image.

dieing to see the bike completed sounds like a killer build!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    dude i work at a bike shop also. You can get hope brakes from BTI and QBP so unless your shop doesn't use either of them then you would have to go retail. Unless you really want a talas go with a rockshox lyric the pro deal from fox is really crappy compared to rockshox.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by retro-newb
    just my 2 pennies i like my new set-up and the bash gives my bike a little tougher image.

dieing to see the bike completed sounds like a killer build!

And finally, Shimano dd the right thing and made a 2 ring wide range specific front derailler. So you do not lose any smooth shifting either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    As far as XTR they are really unnecessary unless your racing XC. Stick with the XT set whats a few more grams for the price difference.
    I find multiple gear shift and quick release on XTR to be very convenient on trail. But then I am a king of a guy who just constantly is twiddling his ride - flipping travel on the fork, picking up the right gear. I am the opposite of a single speeder (but I like my SS as well).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    Curmy is right on the fact that you lose no climbing by running 22-36-bash. The low number of teeth will be 1st in the front while it is just the opposite in the rear. In my opinion running a bash on an AM bike is the way to go. .
    Yeah, running a triple on that bike is doing it a disservice--dual rings are where it's at. And a bike w/ almost 7" travel needs a chainguide for sure. Other than riding to or from the trail head, how often do you really use the 44t? My $.02...

Steeeeeeve PERRY!
    Despite my username, I am finding I am more of an AM rider, which is to say I am in good enough shape to pedal up and around the mountain and not just hang on going down

I just bought my new frameset, 2008 Intense 6.6, Here are my plans

Fox DHX 5.0 Air
    Fox 36 Talas or Float? RC2
    Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes (203mm front, 180mm rear)
    SRAM XO Triggers & derailleurs
    Race Face Atlas crankset
    DT Swiss EX 1750 wheels
    Kenda Nevegal Stick-e Tomac 2.35 tires
    Why XO derailleurs? Also, they only make a rear XO derailleur bud. Why would you have that back there when it's subject to breaking and there goes 150+. I'd just go with an X-9. Take a look on eBay right now there is a bike shop liquidation sale on some Avid Codes. Tires, crank, shocks, and wheelset are go. Dig it. Just don't see the need to spend more money for a derailleur when you could buy one for 65 and not piss yourself when you've snapped the derailleur arm. Just my 2.

Steeeeeeve PERRY!
    After more research, I am now going to spend the money for the Hope Moto M6 brakes, nice stuff. Also just test rode the new Shimano Saint drivetrain today and am going to give that the thumbs up on this bike.

Again, i don't understand why you buy the most expensive stuff. Granted, you could have sick discounts, but why? Have you tried Hope? Have you tried Formula? Pound for Pound, Formula out performs Hope any day on the trail or down the slope. If you're going to spend money, look at Formula "The One." Just seems overkill for an AM rig to get the Moto M6's. I saw that you switched the build kit to M4's, a better choice, but if you NEED the stopping power, again; Formulas dominate and run the 2 piston setup=simplicity and reliability.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Deleted
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 05:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Crankset – Shimano Deore XT (I did a triple because I am 38 and sometimes want that wuss gear on a long climb)
    Several people had explained that you are mistaken here. Double crank, such as SLX M665 has the exact same granny gear, a more useful taller middle, and a bashguard that is even more useful for AM duties. There are reasons to have a triple - but what you have cited is not one of them.

And, come on. You've mentioned 38 twice as if it is 68.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Out
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 05:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input on the crankset (double vs. triple). I have had just as much input on doing a triple from my riding friends and co-workers and have ordered it already. As for the 38 twice, that was only because I did a copy and paste from another discussion
    Judging from the reason that you have cited, their input was based on some entirely erroneous assumptions. Had they been thinking about some 29-40 racing weenie setup? Or a road double?

Seriously, swap it to an SLX 22-36 double. You will be happier long term.

mtbr member
    Did anyone notice at the bottom of his list it says....

"Bashguard e-thirteen blue"

It sounds to me like he is buying the triple and removing the 44t...to make it a double..

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Done
    Last edited by newdownhiller; 10-31-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Riiiiiide...
    Sorry I have confused everyone, I am choosing the triple for many reasons, first, this will truly be an all mountain ride, with much more riding in the flowing singletrack and trails than taking any big hits or freeride/DH type of riding. I definately use my 44T ring on some of the faster smooth terrain.

If I read e.thirteens product description correctly, they make the supercharger bashguard to fit the 44T as just a guard that will work with a triple, it does not provide the chainguide function, however it serves as only the guard.

I can see this has been bludgeoned to death but anyways...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

On that website you can see the real difference between setups. Going from a 22-32-44 to a 22-36 you will see that you lose only the 2 most difficult gears/speeds or whatever you want to call them. Those are the ones only used usually when pedalling down a fireroad at warp speed or down a city street at warp speed. If you really need 'em, then get 'em!!

Sorry for the bludgeoning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    Did anyone notice at the bottom of his list it says....

"Bashguard – e-thirteen – blue"

It sounds to me like he is buying the triple and removing the 44t...to make it a double..
    Ah.. that's odd. He wants 22-32?

22-36 with two ring specific derailleur is immensely more versatile.

E-13 is like 100g more then Shimano's own it seems. I have send mine back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro
    I can see this has been bludgeoned to death but anyways...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

On that website you can see the real difference between setups. Going from a 22-32-44 to a 22-36 you will see that you lose only the 2 most difficult gears/speeds or whatever you want to call them. Those are the ones only used usually when pedalling down a fireroad at warp speed or down a city street at warp speed. If you really need 'em, then get 'em!!

Sorry for the bludgeoning!
    Indeed. TALAS 36, DHX 5.0, FR wheelset - and 44/11 gear? I guess for a downhill race...

On E.13 website I did not find one that mounts on top of a triple - there is one that covers 44 if it is in the middle position. Which one it is? I am curious how one can mount a stout bachguard (anything more the a trousers protector) on top of XT without removing the third ring. ANybody got a picture on how it is mounted?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Poor guys gets butt hurt when he asks a ? but doesn't like the response

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXSlugger
    Poor guys gets butt hurt when he asks a ? but doesn't like the response
    I am still curious how he will mount a blue E.13 on a triple XT without removing 44.. I remember seeing some Blackspire setup like that - but can not find it anymore...

Editing posts out after getting some sound advice is quite lame indeed. But that's fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2