mtbr member

Initial Review on X-Fusion Hilo 125

I have not heard much talk about the X-Fusion Hilo seatpost. I put my first ride on one today and was pretty impressed. I will be putting it through a better test this weekend though. I have the Hilo 125 in the 31.6 size. This is my first adjustable seatpost, though I have used a Joplin post before.

Initial Impression: Upon opening the box I noticed it was very well packed from the factory. The post I got is all black, you have the option for one with silver accents as well. I like the look of it especially on my bike which is mostly dark. It feels solid and is a bit heavier (545 grams) than some of the competition, but tha'ts ok so long as it results in durability. It comes with a remote lever as well as a lever under the seat. If you use the remote lever, you have to assemble it all at the head of the seatpost.

Installation: It comes with a little booklet to help you install the remote lever. They are not the most clear, but get the job done since a few photos are included. There is plenty of cable/hose included in the kit. I ended up cutting about a foot off of it and could manage to cut another couple inches. Once I found a good way to route the cable, it all ended up looking pretty smooth. I would also like to add that the remote is easy to use and installs really easily onto the handlebars. The lever flows well with the rest of the controls on the handlebar.

Well How Does It Do?: It has a smooth operation up and down. It does come up with I feel as a good speed and after a bit of use it should come up even a bit quicker. There does seem to be a bit of a “break-in” period with the post. The seal seems tight and if you move the seat up and down several times in a row and bring it back to full extension, you will have to hold on to the lever for a couple seconds longer than it took for the seatpost to extend. I was told by their CS that it is because it takes a bit longer for the fluid to move through the system than it actually takes the air to move it up. Once it is up, or in any position, it feels very solid with no movement in any direction. The only way it will move is if the seat is lowered and you pick your bike up by the seat. It will extend out, but will go right back to where it was when you let go.

I do not, however, feel like that is a drawback. The remote lever is easy to use and does not take a lot of pressure or movement to actuate the post. I placed it on my right side of the bars in-between the shifter and brake lever. I use two fingers for braking as that is what I have always been comfortable with. It uses a single bolt to clamp the head to the seat rails. It has an infinite angle adjustment. I torqued it down in the middle range that is printed right by the bolt and it did not move a bit while riding.

[I]Overall impressions:[I] Overall I am very happy with the purchase after my first ride. It did exactly what I wanted it to do and did it very well. At only $210 it comes in at cheaper than other adjustable seatposts and about the same as the Joplin 4 after you buy the remote lever. It feels very solid and I hope it continues to feel this way in the future. I will report more over time on how well it holds up and anything else I find out about it.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I too have this post, just got a GT Force 2.0 and it came stock on the bike. So far It seems really solid, but I've only had a few short opportunities to use it. Figuring out the cable routing for the remote lever took a little work.. but its been smooth operating since then. Hopefully it holds up (mine too is the 31.6 version).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've owned one for over a year. Whilst it's been problem free, the return speed never got fast on the last inch of travel. And the seat post clamp slips on g outs too. But other than that, it's a decent post.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've been looking at ordering one from qbp to work off (I get paid about 70% in parts and 30% cash haha), but the price difference between it and a Reverb is so small that I'll probably just end up getting a reverb. I subbed to this thread, though, as it will be a few months before its time to get a post (I have to get a fork and new brakes first), and if in that time you guys can convince me to get it I just might.

Great review, btw. That was really well done. I'm eagerly awaiting your updated reports :thumbs:

mtbr member
    Hilo SL fixes a lot of the problems of the normal Hilo. I'd wait for the SL unless you want a reverb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry View Post
    Hilo SL fixes a lot of the problems of the normal Hilo. I'd wait for the SL unless you want a reverb.
    Save up your $$ too, since the SL version will retail for $400.

$200 buys a lot of beer, so I'm torn between this and a spesh Blacklite.

Carraig: when fully extended and fully inserted, what's the distance from the top of the seatpost to the seat rails? I only have 7.25" of seatpost exposed and I'm not sure this would fit my bike. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I was between this and the blacklite as well, but it was hard to pass up this this price.

You know what, I do not have anything to measure with in my apartment, but it is about 7.5 inches give or take. according to measuring with printer paper!

-Brett
    Last edited by Carraig042; 04-26-2012 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    I got in another ride using the Hilo. It is working flawlessly, but it still going to take a bit more getting used to. I feel no play at all while riding and have found that the speed at which it extends works great for me.

-Brett

mtbr member
    My new 125 has a bit more side to side play than my older version.

I also ended up grabbing a second, new-version (100 mm) post, but swapped out the frame it was supposed to go on and now it doesn't fit, so if anyone has an interest in grabbing one at a reasonable price, PM me.

mtbr member
    I've had my Hilo 125 for about 9 months and no problems other than the remote, which was probably because I ran the cable routing. After sending my Kronolog back to the factory 3 times, it's a major relief to have something that is reliable.