mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Impressions on this 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp?

I'm in the market for a all mountain FS bike. I'm new to suspension, ride my bike daily, but don't have a large budget (family, time constraints, etc). I'm about 5"8" and 210 lbs. I realize the xl frame may be too large but I do have fairly long arms, at least I find that with shirts.

I'd love to get your thoughts on this bike for this price:

specialized enduro 2005 with upgrade

specialized enduro frame size xl
    mavic rims , with new kenda nevegal tire
    deore xt rear lx front derailleur 3x8
    marzocchi am3 130mm fork
    fox rear shock
    enduro bar with funn stem
    avid bb7 with alligator disk rotor 160mm
    new cables new chain new grips
    lx front shifter deore rear shifter
    need new chain and derailleur adjustment, since i change the cable was never use
    price 400

Impressions on this 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp?-img955526.jpgImpressions on this 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp?-img956618.jpg

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    XL is way way way too big for you. And if you're new to FS, that bike would probably be too much for the XC, path, and light trail riding you're likely in for. The geometry and suspension setup on that are likely geared toward aggressive downhill.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Kona Taro

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for the comments. I had googled around for sizing info on this year/make/model of bike and ran into a few folks that thought the sizing was on the small size (... I'm 6'3" 200lbs. I bought the Large size. I test rode it around the lot and it seemed fine to me when I rode it, but when I got it back, it seemed a little small. I mean even when I got my rockhopper I thought it was a little large (21") but i kinda "grew into it."...).

I may be heavy but I'm no slouch. I'm an aggressive snowboarder of many years and I enjoy fast action. I am planning to hit some fairly steep downhill in addition to standard trail riding. That said, yes, I haven't experienced FS bikes. Years ago I rode fast trails on a hardtail but that's the extent.

I do appreciate your perspective though, the bike is 1.5 hours drive so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before going to see it.

Do you have experience with this bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No sir, no direct experience. If you can find the geometry/spec sheet for that make/model/size/year, you'll get better feedback.

In the last couple years, tremendous improvements have been made in suspension and geometry... 130mm is not "enduro" anymore, as an example.

I'm 5'10" if I stand up reaaaall straight, and am squarely a medium though I can fit a large in a pinch. I think you're a medium all day long.
    2014 Kona Taro

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ya, I agree with you about me being a medium. Unfortunately I probably cannot take advantage of the advancements from the last few years. I find the prices to be pretty disgusting compared to other things/toys, given what role they play in my life. I ride a ~96 Schwinn Paramount mtn bike and I enjoy it. I'm sure though, that I would be spoiled by hopping on a $4,000 FS bike. It just wouldn't be fun to even spend $1,000 on one for me. My price-point probably keeps me in the 90's - early 00's so I guess I can't be too picky if something isn't perfect. But you're right, I should just be patient and keep looking. It's just that I live in a fairly remote location so I have to travel to the few decent bikes that are available. No LBS here.

It's funny looking up info about "older" bikes. Looking on old threads where folks talk about how amazing the advancements are on the new 2003 whatever bike. Now people talk about it like it's sh*t. It's crazy how much biking and cell phone cultures are similar. 4 years after something is manufactured it's considered obsolete but when it comes out people stumble over themselves to buy it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I understand about the pricing, believe me.

One thing to consider - while there may be good FS bikes in your vintage and price range, there's surely a lot of bad ones too.

You may be better off on a HT. I can get up and down at least as fast on my HT as my FS.
    2014 Kona Taro

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Good points, thank you for your help.