• 11-23-2012
    Jwind
    Impacts / Sam Hill vs Freerider pro
    Anyone have any experience with both of these models? I know the Impacts and Sam Hills are well proven but it seems the Freerider Pros are newish...
  • 11-23-2012
    Snfoilhat
    Freeerider Pros ('12) are rad
    I only wore the Impacts in the store (didn't like the feel), so I can't do the full comparison you're after. But I have a lot of miles on the original Freerider Pros (last year's, they don't have the slick patch under the ball of the foot). Excellent shoes. Sole is medium stiff (compared to a flexy 5.10 Spitfire). Grip is excellent. Uppers are tough/durable, but lack the armor of an Impact.

I am a full-time flats rider, so I am wearing the Freerider Pros for trail riding and for BMX racing.
  • 11-23-2012
    Jwind
    I know you can't compare grip but would you say the soles are roughly the same stiffness?
  • 11-24-2012
    aedubber
    I have the freerider and the Impacts, and i find myself using the freeriders more often cuz the shoe is a bit softer and bends easyer.. The Impacts have a harder solel , well personally thats how i feel .
  • 11-24-2012
    Dougie
    The Impact's have a significantly stiffer sole than the Freeriders. This is good for riding, bad for walking. It really comes down to performance/efficiency or comfort. Take your pick.

For what it's worth I use my Impacts when I go hiking too. They're some of the best all-around shoes I've ever owned.
  • 11-24-2012
    Jwind
    I understand the freeriders are not as stiff. I'm more interested in the newer freerider *PRO* version.
  • 11-24-2012
    squiby
    The Freerider pro is stiffer than the regular freerider but not as stiff as the Impacts/Sam Hills. Same goes for the protection around the toe box, Imacts=best protection, Freerider Pros = good protection, Freeriders = least protection. I like the Freerider Pros for DH and trail as I found the Impacts a bit bulky with my heels hittin the chainstays etc...YMMV
  • 11-24-2012
    ihaveagibsonsg
    I tried on all but chose the impact low because I had been wacking my toes on rocks. The impacts offer superior protection and are stiff but not overkill. You can still walk in them with no issues, theyre easier to walk in than any pair of clips I've ever used.
  • 11-24-2012
    StuLax18
    The nice thing about the Impacts is that they are very burly. I have kicked many rocks on the trail and had no issues. If you don't need as much protection, the freeriders would still be a great option I think.
  • 11-24-2012
    unbalanced
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    I have the freerider and the Impacts, and i find myself using the freeriders more often cuz the shoe is a bit softer and bends easyer.. The Impacts have a harder solel , well personally thats how i feel .

ditto! my impacts I use for DH only now, just not comfortable enough for me on regular trail/am riding. Freeriders for those days.
  • 11-25-2012
    svalgis
    Would you say the sole is thicker on the Freerider Pro vs reg Freerider?